• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Traffic controlled lights

Mandalorian

Reaction score
Visit site
It's probably just me for some reason, but does anyone else find that when you ciome to a light that is traffic controlled on the NC, the bike won't trip whatever sensor is beneath the asphalt. If there is a car behind me , they become impatient so I usually end making a right on red even if I want to go in the other direction.

It's pretty common. The lights that have a camera type sensor seem to be OK, but those with plates in the street usually do not detect. Many states allow the motorcycle to proceed after a failure to detect, but this is not always possible or safe.

There is another thread talking about this somewhere…….. Seems that the consensus was to stop the bike directly over the sensor line which is usually visible. I’ve also scooted way forward and then motioned the car behind me to scoot up close so they trigger the sensor. Camera sensors normally see me on my bicycle so they haven’t been a problem on the NC. As Garydj stated, check your local laws as many states allow motorcycles to go through a light after a certain amount of time. You also can contact the city/state about problem intersections and they can try adjusting the sensor.

Many states allow the motorcycle to proceed after a failure to detect,

TEXAS is not one of them, but I'll run the light if I need too. Figure I'll fight the ticket if I ever get one for doing so. I've gotten the best results by putting the tires on one of the loops sensor lines, but I sometime forget as I'm pulling up to the light.

I swear a used to live in a state that had a provision for that. If you sat at the light for a predetermined amount of time you could cross on a red as long as it was safe to proceed. Maybe I'm crazy and making that up. Can't remember what state that was.

I fought it in Georgia and won. Every state probably has a statute for non-functioning TCD (traffic control device). I told the judge that I followed the statute which said to treat it like a stop sign. The cop said it wasn't malfunctioning, that it just didn't detect my bike. I countered that if it failed to detect a road legal vehicle it was malfunctioning. Judge said "case dismissed".

I saw this little gizmo once that is basically a large magnet you stick to the underside of your bike. It will let the ground sensors know you are above. I'm not sure how well they work, but it might be cheaper than fighting and/or paying a ticket. Also, I've noticed around here (Los Angeles) the ground sensors are always in the center of the lane, which is also where all the oil and other fluids tend to pool at intersections. I just can't bring myself to purposely drive through the middle of all that. If I sit at an intersection where the cross traffic gets more than one green light, I'll run it. Not sure if I'm breaking the law or not.

My MSF instructor talked to us about this. I don't remember the local law (oops) but I do recall him talking about a powerful magnet helping. Probably best to use a strong Neodymium magnet. If you have an old hard drive, you could salvage one from that. Not sure if that'd be enough, but it'll usually have tabs with holes making installation easier.

The big problem is that there is a lot less steel on our bikes than a car, which is mostly a large lump. We have a lot more aluminum. But getting the frame over the loops (the cut lines in the asphalt) helps. I've had problems with my old 81 Suzuki too, so it's not a problem related to new bikes.

Are you guys talking about loop ?
If you are, they need to be adjusted.

On the toll plaza, sometimes our sensors don't see motorcycles. However we have more than one type of sensor so we catch everything that goes through.
The loop is controlled by an electronic card and can be adjusted for sensitivity.

In South Carolina after 120secs we are allowed to treat the light like a stop sign. We also have a sweet rule if the car infront of us is waiting to turn left we can ride around the right side of them. I would love to be allowed to lane split, I hate hot summer traffic jams.

Gigs

I've only had it happen once; 1971 in San Marino, CA, going home from a late night graduate school class. I was on a Honda CL175 and came to a left turn with the light red. I waited, and waited and nothing happened. So I rolled the bike back and forth over the sensor. Nothing happened. I bounced up and down on the seat. Nothing happened. I hoped a car would come along needing to turn left. Nothing happened. Finally, after several minutes I looked around and saw no cars in sight, so I ran the light and hoped if I got caught it would be an understanding officer. Nothing happened.

Illinois just passed a 120 second rule, treat like stop sign and proceed when safe. BUT does not apply to populations greater than 2 million, so Chicago weaseled it's muscle on that vote.

I can trip almost any light with my 125cc scooter, it's just finding the correct induction loop wire. One stop I make everyday has about 8 seperate lines for a double left turn. Can't ever seem to trip that one. Luckily cars come before I'm done watching the clock and running the red. Which I have done countless times when riding at 2-4 am. I did it I front of a cop that was sitting in a parking lot watching the road... Or sleeping, couldn't see in the cruiser. Car didn't move as I ran the red. I sat for 3. Minutes on that one.

The standard sensors under the asphalt are electromagnetic coils and when they detect a change in the magnetic field, e.g. a large piece of ferromagnetic material, they latch the circuit notifying the processor that something is present at the location. When I arrive at lights I know have problems detecting my bike, I stop after the white stop strip so a car can pull up on it behind me.

it's all over the country. i saw some sort of device for motorcycles,so the traffic light work correctly,if you stop at it. don't remember how it's called,but it's exists

How Much Time Do We Spend Waiting at Red Lights?

Answer
The average person will spend about 6 months of their life waiting at a stop light. That doesn't sound like a lot if you compare it to how much we sleep. If we live to be 75, we will have spend approximately 25 years asleep.

At my age I just ain't got the time to stop. Heck, I could be dead before the light changed. I just run all of the lights, and don't worry if it is right. And sleep, not time for that either.

Here in Escalon Ca the turning lane at the end of our street will not set, so a asked the cop if I could go trough if it were safe. They said no and would give me a ticket for running a red light, but they also would let the traffic office know and would ajust the sensor. We'll see? Now I have to go out of my way to get home.

There was one of these lights in Salt Lake City when I worked there. I had to go through it to leave work. If I worked late I just treated it like a stop sign but every time I stopped at it in rush hour I had to wait for a car or had to turn right.

Here in Escalon Ca the turning lane at the end of our street will not set, so a asked the cop if I could go trough if it were safe. They said no and would give me a ticket for running a red light, but they also would let the traffic office know and would ajust the sensor. We'll see? Now I have to go out of my way to get home.

Of course he will, but that is what the courts are for. You are not a subject of your government, but a citizen. Run it and tell the cop to bring it on. When we submit to stupidity we encourage them.

There is a light on my way to work that did not function correctly. I would sit until nothing was approaching for either side and go. I started pulling up at different spots when stopping and one day it worked. I pulled up to the same spot the next several days and the light would turn. In my case, at that particular light, I can make the sensor recognize the bike if I pull up at a specific location. I have tested my theory by pulling up to the center of the lane and it will not detect me. Might be worth a try at a light that doesn't work. Worked for me on this specific light.

Back