• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Treating Metal Parts with a Rust Inhibitor?

fleetingyouth

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

It's getting warmer here on the east coast and I'm planning to pull the front end apart to do some maintenance and upgrades. I'm also going to do a deep clean from the salty winter riding while I have the plastics off.

So does anyone treat their bike with a rust inhibitor to help stave off winter salt rust? I don't have a lot of rust and have always kept the bike clean but there are a few little signs showing up since the bike is outdoors year-round and ridden.

I think I'm going to try a ceramic coating instead of traditional wax this year too.

The YouTube channel RepairGeek did a very nice video series on real-world testing or rust inhibitors. The context here was undercoating for a car or truck.

Warning: Long and in-depth videos. Very interesting watch in my opinion, but if you are looking for a quick and definitive recommendation, this is not it.

Thanks Guys, there are lots of great products available I realize that.

I'm more interested in if anyone is actually treating their bike than a specific recommendation.

It's pretty common with British riders who ride year round, and folks doing the Alaska highway.
Here's some quotes from a guy who did Alaska at least three times, tewster2 (check out his youtube vids of them):
" construction areas where the ADOT spreads millions of gallons of water and calcium chloride" and
"You may have good luck getting the calcium chloride off your bike if you spray some type of non stick stuff on your non hot parts before you take off. Some inmates have recommended RustCheck, ACF50, Pam, or S100 Engine Brightner. I may try some this trip. I like the ACF50. Used a lot in the aircraft industry for anti corrosion." from https://advrider.com/f/threads/haul-road-primer-part-1.943656/page-6#post-39514084

Back