• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Trip advice grand canyon

rippin209

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm driving home from Oklahoma (dropped my son off at college) to California via 40. I'm swinging up to the grand canyon (neither my wife or myself has ever seen it) on my way by. Right now I'm going to arrive in the middle of the night and plan on being gone before noon. Any advice would be appreciated
P.S. in a rental car unfortunately,

motorcycle is at home

Not done it myself, but heard a flyover is a must.
Go through Sodona and drive the canyon( 89a), up to Flagstaff.

Visit some cliff dwellings.

You won't be far from Zion and Bryce Canyon

Last edited:
It's a little over a hundred miles out if the way on a trip 1,340 each way. I'm going to catch sunrise from a nice spot. Right now I'm looking at Navajo lookout. Just hoping I can get to it at that time

Flyover as in flying in a plane? Didn't you see the part about a kid in college. I'm close to broke lol

I'm grateful to those that serve in the military and equally grateful to anyone willing to be a teacher (that wants to and does a good job) so thank you.

If its just a drive through on the south rim, I believe I would make the loop from east to west, up hwy 89 to hwy 64. There are a number of pullouts along the rim that should have awesome views of the sunrise. We camped at the Desert View campground several years ago. It was so windy I ended up sleeping in my car. If you're in a tent, be sure to stake it down tight...

I appreciate the thanks, but i"ve bern blessed way beyond what I've given.(better to be lucky than good)

I appreciate the thanks, but i"ve bern blessed way beyond what I've given.(better to be lucky than good)
I'm thinking the children are much more civilized in NC then California. In California most people are self centered and rude (that's adults) imagine the way children growing up around that behave?
If I was qualified and offered 3 times the salary teachers are paid I still wouldn't take on that job. I'm glad to hear you've had such a positive experience as a teacher, I would imagine most of your students would feel the same way with the attitude you've got about it

If its just a drive through on the south rim, I believe I would make the loop from east to west, up hwy 89 to hwy 64. There are a number of pullouts along the rim that should have awesome views of the sunrise. We camped at the Desert View campground several years ago. It was so windy I ended up sleeping in my car. If you're in a tent, be sure to stake it down tight...
This is the exact route that we ended up taking, and slept in the car, looked at allot of different look outs. Got some coffee on the way out, headed to the Hoover dam then Vegas (just for dinner)
Then home

This is the exact route that we ended up taking, and slept in the car, looked at allot of different look outs. Got some coffee on the way out, headed to the Hoover dam then Vegas (just for dinner)
Then home

Sounds like good fun. If you go back and have some time, there's a national forest road that goes south into the forest that's worth exploring. You might see some elk in there.

Sounds like good fun. If you go back and have some time, there's a national forest road that goes south into the forest that's worth exploring. You might see some elk in there.
awesome. Definitely going back with the kids (still not on the motorcycle unfortunately) we will make the grand canyon the destination not just a quick stop, two maybe three days, there is so much to see

28b0d1f474ccbac066d6708511473ba5.jpg

02cd36d769022cee80d7a90cddc440e0.jpg

0c6656ab9a57b18bb84479e26cb592f4.jpg

Just a few of the awesome spots I got to check out

Last edited:
If you want to see a really big canyon go to Copper Canyon, Mexico. Copper Canyon, Mexico comprises a region that's four times larger than the Grand Canyon in Arizona.

Copper Canyon, Mexico.jpg

Video:

[video=youtube;jC4VSkMUa6s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC4VSkMUa6s[/video]

Last edited:
Back