• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Trip planning

BallAquatics

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm planning a trip for late summer / early fall and looking for suggested rides in the states I'll be visiting.

Here's the plan, and it's very flexible, I'm going to spend a month on the road traveling from central Ohio to the west coast and back.
No highway travel, mainly state routes staying north of I-70. Utah may be the exception though as it's a point of interest.

I don't have a destination point on the west coast, and may not even make the coast if I get distracted enough along the way.

I would very much appreciate any suggestions from folks with experience riding in this vast area. I've read many articles about the fantastic riding in Montana, the Dakotas, Idaho, Utah, and Wyoming. I'm not getting any younger and it's time to go see for myself!

If you are starting in Ohio and going west you could pick up 'the mother road' (Route 66) in central Illinois and take that to the southwest. Lots of history to see along that route and while much of the route is replaced by interstate, there are plenty of guides available to take you along (or very near) the original roadway off the interstate. Detour off the roadway and head north up to the Grand Canyon and then continue up to Utah, Montana and return home through the Dakotas, Minnesota, Wisconsin and you could cross over the Mighty Mac bridge and come southbound out of Michigan back to your home.

In Wyoming, you’d want to ride the Bighorn mountains, Chief Joseph Scenic Byway, and the Beartooth Pass, but late summer / early fall would be iffy weather in some higher elevation places. If you’re doing a loop, plan to go north first.

Not sure if this is too much out of your way. You could go up through Michigan, cross the Mackinaw bridge to the UP. Ride the north shore of the UP to Wisconsin, down through IL and pickup Rt 66 as suggested by melensdad. On the way back, you could go back to Manitowok, WI and ride the ferry back to Ludington, MI.

OP said, “mainly state routes staying north of I-70”. The vast majority of Route 66 is south of I-70, I believe. Just saying.

In Wyoming, you’d want to ride the Bighorn mountains, Chief Joseph Scenic Byway, and the Beartooth Pass, but late summer / early fall would be iffy weather in some higher elevation places. If you’re doing a loop, plan to go north first.
Thank you sir, I'll be sure to check these out. I've wanted to see Wyoming ever since seeing the view from Longmire's front porch.

Not sure if this is too much out of your way. You could go up through Michigan, cross the Mackinaw bridge to the UP. Ride the north shore of the UP to Wisconsin, down through IL and pickup Rt 66 as suggested by melensdad. On the way back, you could go back to Manitowok, WI and ride the ferry back to Ludington, MI.
Thanks. Never really considered going through Michigan. I remember fishing trips into Canada as a child..... hours of straight flat highway with lots of pine trees between Saginaw & Sault Ste. Marie.

Is there a more entertaining route?

Thanks. Never really considered going through Michigan. I remember fishing trips into Canada as a child..... hours of straight flat highway with lots of pine trees between Saginaw & Sault Ste. Marie.

We did not go east to Sault St. Marie, we crossed the UP to follow the southern coast near Naubinway on our way to the bridge. Once in the LP we stayed on the west coast to ride the 'Tunnel of Trees'.

I am originally from central IN so pine trees and water are a huge treat for us. I was just offering a more scenic route than crossing IN which is corn fields.

We did not go east to Sault St. Marie, we crossed the UP to follow the southern coast near Naubinway on our way to the bridge. Once in the LP we stayed on the west coast to ride the 'Tunnel of Trees'.

I am originally from central IN so pine trees and water are a huge treat for us. I was just offering a more scenic route than crossing IN which is corn fields.
Hey that's cool, I appreciate the input. I may be stopping in Rochester Minnesota and the loop around the top of lake Michigan may be interesting.

Custer State Park in the Black Hills of western South Dakota is nice, but can be a little crowded in peak times. Nonetheless, passing through the Black Hills can be a break from the monotony of crossing the Plains. From Black Hills you can hit Devils Tower, an interesting place, but again crowded in peak tourist season. If you want to avoid crowds, go through North Dakota or Canada instead. Theodore Roosevelt NP in western North Dakota is off the beaten path but being in the north, things there start shutting down after Labor Day.

If you do get out to the west coast, one of the greatest motorcycle roads in the country is the Pacific Coast Highway between SF and LA. It takes you along the coast (obviously), through redwood forests (which are stunning), and through various wine regions (if you are into that sort of thing).

California is expensive, but even 5 dollar a gallon gas isn't a deal killer with our gas-sippers.

If you decide to go south of I-70, there are great roads from say Denver southwest to Durango. You choose the route , all scenic roads. (check out Pikes peak if your in the area). Durango up to Silverton on the Million Dollar Highway over to Moab (Arches Nat'l park) and you're right back at I-70. If you want more scenic areas south of there check out Monument Valley (Forest Gump Highway) Mexican hat, Zion, Bryce Canyon, Grand canyon etc. Thers's so many cool places to visit out west. As was mentioned earlier don't miss Bear Tooth pass and Chief Joeseph Scienic Byway near Cody Wy. Cody has some cool museums. Man you're making me want to take another trip out there.

I've ridden the coastlines in the state of Michigan and the UP from Sault Ste. Marie west thru Wisconsin and to Duluth, MN along the south shore of Lake Superior. Not a single straight road along that journey except for the 7 miles I was on the interstate crossing the Mighty Mac, because I got on the bridge just before the incline and off after the tollbooth. The rest of the roads varied from gravel tracks to beachfront byways. All entertaining.

Custer State Park in the Black Hills of western South Dakota is nice, but can be a little crowded in peak times. Nonetheless, passing through the Black Hills can be a break from the monotony of crossing the Plains. From Black Hills you can hit Devils Tower, an interesting place, but again crowded in peak tourist season. If you want to avoid crowds, go through North Dakota or Canada instead. Theodore Roosevelt NP in western North Dakota is off the beaten path but being in the north, things there start shutting down after Labor Day.
Cool, thanks for the suggestions. Avoiding crowds is one of the reasons I'm planning on a fall trip. Just after peak vacation time, but before it gets too chilly.

If you do get out to the west coast, one of the greatest motorcycle roads in the country is the Pacific Coast Highway between SF and LA. It takes you along the coast (obviously), through redwood forests (which are stunning), and through various wine regions (if you are into that sort of thing).

California is expensive, but even 5 dollar a gallon gas isn't a deal killer with our gas-sippers.
Sounds like some good times. California and the south west is a hopeful a trip of it's own in a couple of years.

I've ridden the coastlines in the state of Michigan and the UP from Sault Ste. Marie west thru Wisconsin and to Duluth, MN along the south shore of Lake Superior. Not a single straight road along that journey except for the 7 miles I was on the interstate crossing the Mighty Mac, because I got on the bridge just before the incline and off after the tollbooth. The rest of the roads varied from gravel tracks to beachfront byways. All entertaining.
Excellent! When I was a kid and Pop would take us fishing in Canada I'm sure he used the quickest routes to the great white north. A route up around the coast of the lake looks very promising. Thanks!

If you decide to go south of I-70, there are great roads from say Denver southwest to Durango. You choose the route , all scenic roads. (check out Pikes peak if your in the area). Durango up to Silverton on the Million Dollar Highway over to Moab (Arches Nat'l park) and you're right back at I-70. If you want more scenic areas south of there check out Monument Valley (Forest Gump Highway) Mexican hat, Zion, Bryce Canyon, Grand canyon etc. Thers's so many cool places to visit out west. As was mentioned earlier don't miss Bear Tooth pass and Chief Joeseph Scienic Byway near Cody Wy. Cody has some cool museums. Man you're making me want to take another trip out there.
Thanks Scott. I can see myself getting distracted in this general area and never making it to the coast, but that's okay!

Thanks for all the great input guys! I knew when I started thinking about this trip that there would be so many cool places to ride. I want to stay very flexible and not really have a set schedule, except that I have to be back home around the 30 day mark.

I also didn't want miss a great out-of-the-way route in my travels. Some of my favorite rides here in Ohio aren't covered in the publications because they may be off the beaten path or just short intense 30 minute rides.

A thought: In the west generally, but particularly the more rural areas, have a think about avoiding ‘highways.’ Note that the ‘state routes’ _ARE_ highways. Taking county roads out here _can_ be very beautiful, but those roads can also frequently be in a poor state of repair. Many times the highway (state route) is much better maintained, and even actually better in terms of ride quality and places it goes.

Just a thought.

You have to be careful about going in "early fall" because a lot of western mountain passes could be closed during Ohio's early fall. Winter comes early to the west, before moving east especially at high altitudes. Some of the best roads out west may be closed to snow during our "early fall." September can be real iffy in the Rockies.

Back