• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Trip planning

A thought: In the west generally, but particularly the more rural areas, have a think about avoiding ‘highways.’ Note that the ‘state routes’ _ARE_ highways. Taking county roads out here _can_ be very beautiful, but those roads can also frequently be in a poor state of repair. Many times the highway (state route) is much better maintained, and even actually better in terms of ride quality and places it goes.

Just a thought.
It's pretty much the same here in rural Ohio. I guess by "highway" I was referring to interstate highways. By and large, our state routes are well maintained 2 lane routes that are less traveled than the main "highways". Our country, or county roads, while not in bad shape, are not something you would want to try and make any kind of travel time by using. Thanks for the input.

Reactions: MZ5
You have to be careful about going in "early fall" because a lot of western mountain passes could be closed during Ohio's early fall. Winter comes early to the west, before moving east especially at high altitudes. Some of the best roads out west may be closed to snow during our "early fall." September can be real iffy in the Rockies.
Thanks for that, definitely something to consider. I'll look into some weather data when planning routes through the higher elevations. I'm walking a tightrope trying to go late enough to avoid the vacation traffic, but still early enough to avoid cold weather.

Lebanon Kansas; the center of the continental US. Nothing to do there but interesting to say you've stopped by and seen the marker. Can easily take Rte 36 instead of 70 for a while. Helps to avoid Kansas City.

St. Francis Motorcycle Museum; also on 36 but on the west end of Kansas.

Custer State Park in the Black Hills of western South Dakota is nice, but can be a little crowded in peak times. Nonetheless, passing through the Black Hills can be a break from the monotony of crossing the Plains. From Black Hills you can hit Devils Tower, an interesting place, but again crowded in peak tourist season. If you want to avoid crowds, go through North Dakota or Canada instead. Theodore Roosevelt NP in western North Dakota is off the beaten path but being in the north, things there start shutting down after Labor Day.
Black Hills is great riding country. See Rushmore and take a run down Spearfish canyon. Also check out the Badlands and Wall Drug

Reactions: MZ5
It's pretty much the same here in rural Ohio. I guess by "highway" I was referring to interstate highways. By and large, our state routes are well maintained 2 lane routes that are less traveled than the main "highways". Our country, or county roads, while not in bad shape, are not something you would want to try and make any kind of travel time by using. Thanks for the input.
Sounds like this is going to be an awesome trip. If you end up in northern Washington in the Pacific Northwest you could ride the very nice Cascade loop. Highway 101 around the whole peninsula good too and don't miss the Hood Canal. If you're riding the high Sierras in California watch for gravel in those corners.

Lebanon Kansas; the center of the continental US. Nothing to do there but interesting to say you've stopped by and seen the marker. Can easily take Rte 36 instead of 70 for a while. Helps to avoid Kansas City.

St. Francis Motorcycle Museum; also on 36 but on the west end of Kansas.
Amazing you mention route 36. I'm about 10 minutes south of 36 here in Ohio and have thought of following into the west several times in the past. It originates here in Ohio and goes 1400+ miles to Rocky Mountain National Park approximately 55 miles northwest of Denver Colorado.

I will definitely look into including these spots into the trip. The St. Francis Motorcycle Museum will make a delightful stop along the way. https://stfrancismotorcyclemuseum.org/about-us

Sounds like this is going to be an awesome trip. If you end up in northern Washington in the Pacific Northwest you could ride the very nice Cascade loop. Highway 101 around the whole peninsula good too and don't miss the Hood Canal. If you're riding the high Sierras in California watch for gravel in those corners.
Looks interesting, I sent for their travel guide, ( https://www.cascadeloop.com/ ). If I don't make it on this trip, will definitely add it to the west coast Highway 101 trip.

Here's the plan, and it's very flexible, I'm going to spend a month on the road traveling from central Ohio to the west coast and back.
No highway travel, mainly state routes staying north of I-70. Utah may be the exception though as it's a point of interest.
If you do enter Utah via I-70 and Colorado, the good news is all of the "Big 5" National Parks are to the south and you can kind of hit them in order from east to west. The weather is usually hot and dry in southern Utah that time of year so good for riding. If you enter from Wyoming, you could start at Flaming Gorge, take a little detour through western Colorado on your way down to Moab and Canyonlands NP (https://goo.gl/maps/nX7imt6g2BvUokt16). If you're planning to spend a few days exploring the Parks, not just riding through, I would suggest you stay in Moab and hit Canyonlands and Arches NPs, then move to a small town called Cedar City to hit the more western parks. It's 20 minutes from Cedar Breaks, and roughly in the middle of Bryce and Zion NPs.

If you do enter Utah via I-70 and Colorado, the good news is all of the "Big 5" National Parks are to the south and you can kind of hit them in order from east to west. The weather is usually hot and dry in southern Utah that time of year so good for riding. If you enter from Wyoming, you could start at Flaming Gorge, take a little detour through western Colorado on your way down to Moab and Canyonlands NP (https://goo.gl/maps/nX7imt6g2BvUokt16). If you're planning to spend a few days exploring the Parks, not just riding through, I would suggest you stay in Moab and hit Canyonlands and Arches NPs, then move to a small town called Cedar City to hit the more western parks. It's 20 minutes from Cedar Breaks, and roughly in the middle of Bryce and Zion NPs.
Very nice, thank you for the info it's a great help when planning to visit somewhere you've never been before.

Just to jump on the Michigan band wagon. Hug the west coast of Michigan's lower penninsula avoiding any road that starts with an "I" and you should have a pleasent ride. The area around the "pinkey" of the mitten is very nice, likewise up around Calumet in the UP. If you going to Minnesota buzz up to Duluth and visit Aerostich for some new riding duds.

One of the best bakeries in Michigan is in North Port, Barb's Bakery. It's a bit out of the way but the cherry filled pastries are awesome.

And the apple fritters in the Hilltop Restaurant in L'Anse are the best.

And the Suomi Home Bakery in Houghton.

Yeah, yeah, I know. "I Ride to Eat", just saying....

Thanks again for all the input. I'm leaning towards going up through Michigan and staying North on the way west, then dropping South on the return trip.

Back