• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Trying to reduce vibrations in the handlebars

rippin209

Reaction score
Visit site
Any recommendations on filling the new bar to reduce vibrations?

I've heard of using silicone or rubber butyl caulking either with or without adding bb's or bird shot.

I was thinking of putting somewhere between 1/4 cup and 1/2 cup of bb's (same as a BB gun uses) and then filling the bars with one of those types of caulking, and then adding the same amount of bb's to the other side of the bars before closing it up.

I'm using the stock bar end weights and bark busters at the same time already (had to slightly modify the bar end weights for that to work) I'm thinking if I decide to do this I'd start by installing the throttle and everything on the right side, lift the left side up so it's as straight up and down as possible put in exactly half of my premeasured bb's in, have a hose on the tip of the caulking so it easily reaches the other end of the bars (I know any empty pockets would be bad) and start filling the bars with the caulking, when it's close to full, add the second half of the bb's and then seal it all up.

So my question is, anyone try this, is it a good idea or a bad idea, did I miss a step or anything?

Dunno Rip, i like the factory bar ends and they seem to work very well for me. Anything with a twin is going to shake/rattle/vibrate, so anything you do to improve that should be a win/win! I used to have a few dampeners left over from some of my compound bows that i thought of trying.. just a thought. :{)

It's mostly the throttle side and it's not bad but I've gotten a numb hand enough to want to do something to try and improve the situation while it's easy, especially if I can for around $12

I did some physiotherapy exercises that helped me a lot. Not sure if you have looked into that area before. I had a minor injury that wasn't really going away. Would get some tingling/numbness in the palm of my hand and some minor discomfort in certain ranges of motion.

I did some physiotherapy exercises that helped me a lot. Not sure if you have looked into that area before. I had a minor injury that wasn't really going away. Would get some tingling/numbness in the palm of my hand and some minor discomfort in certain ranges of motion.
I haven't, but most discomfort can be overcome by increasing strength enough in one way or another so it makes sense.

I use to climb trees for a living (arborist) and use a chainsaw (lots of vibration at different frequencies even) and never had any issues, I rarely wore gloves also

I stopped doing that (full time at least) 13 years ago, my last job and my current job especially (been at my current job 7 years) are much less physically demanding.

I've gotten hurt or injured just as much but doing far less dangerous stuff and recovery seems to take much longer, I'm only 32 so not old enough to justify this in my mind but I guess getting soft can be hard on you lol

I've hopefully got a long way to go so getting in better shape is getting higher on the priority list, thanks for the tip and reminder

Dunno Rip, i like the factory bar ends and they seem to work very well for me. Anything with a twin is going to shake/rattle/vibrate, so anything you do to improve that should be a win/win! I used to have a few dampeners left over from some of my compound bows that i thought of trying.. just a thought. :{)

That's the idea, slight problem but if it can be easily improved, why not.

If you try the bow dampeners let us know how it works out.

P.s. About the V-Twin comment I heard the 750's got an additional balancing rod (or something like that) and are much smoother, I also heard part of the vibration on the NC700X was left in place on purpose to give it "character" I don't think anyone bought a Honda hoping it would shake like a Harley, but that's just my opinion

What kind of gloves do you wear?
I switched from regular racing type gloves to ones with more padding in them. The Cortech Vice 2.0's really made a difference.
Though if you use heated grips this might not be the solution.

NC are not particularly buzzy.

One test get mountain bike gel glove and see you get any relief

Prior discussion on the topic focusing on wrist angle and throttle pressure cramping.

What,s Your Opinion ?

https://www.nc700-forum.com/forum/n...handlebars-numb-arm.html?highlight=Wrist+pain
Thanks for posting and for the links I'd recently read the first one but hadn't read the second (or it was years ago lol) something along the lines of the second article did encourage me to install a set of risers which have helped but I'm just thinking of ironing out the little remaining creases of discomfort, most of my rides are an hour to an hour and a half and there are times the last 20 min or so my hands are bothering me enough to get my attention

What kind of gloves do you wear?
I switched from regular racing type gloves to ones with more padding in them. The Cortech Vice 2.0's really made a difference.
Though if you use heated grips this might not be the solution.
My gauntlets are cortech (not sure what model) but I've never had any discomfort while wearing them

My summer gloves though are a thin pair of Tourmaster gloves that have sense been discontinued
f7470c5f6bc420813ff47707efe95993.jpg
dc836a641250783be6f5ae8386fccfdc.jpg

I went down in April while wearing my summer gloves and they held up well, especially for 6 year old gloves with at least 60,000 miles on them
c26acb7e7de7aaafc46d40bb2f058f65.jpg

I've been looking into what gloves to get next, so far I'm thinking these
73751e101036329cf75228ccf073126c.jpg
91eade50e4e982bdadc42922ef28261f.jpg

Last edited:
I think the problem may be with your hands and not the bike. I just had carpal tunnel surgery two days ago and never had an issue when I rode my bike.
I'm hoping that's not the case but I know it's a possibility

Now that I've got my NC up and running again (and I'm able to ride) I went on a longer trip and my pointer finger middle finger and thumb were going numb and hurting from the vibration, but only on my right hand, when I stopped for gas I installed this

Triclicks Black Throttle Control Motorcycle Cruise Control Assist Rocker Cramp Stopper https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071JLQZ6K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_dBTzDb5MQVTPK

It's been in my frunk for awhile but I've only used it a few times, it fixed my vibration problem pretty well but it was kind of irritating because I'm not used to it I guess, I came up on stopped traffic due to an accident and I wanted to filter through the traffic, I moved the cramp assist to the side and it was resting on the bar end weight and the throttle and I had almost no vibration, so my vibration problem was from the throttle tube having enough room to vibrate and irritate me.

I'm going to install the o-ring between the bar end weight and throttle again and problem solved [emoji16]

O-Ring Throttle Lock

By the way the best deal I found was harbor freight has an o-ring assortment for under $10 I get 10 the size I want for my NC throttle and 387 other o-rings [emoji1360]
bd1a39419340ff0047bdc9e8a0d7cf16.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a tip I got from the CB1100 forum when I had that bike: Pull out the stock internal bar end weights and replace with the weights from the CB500F (2013 model). The 500 weights are longer and heavier than the ones that come stock in the NC750X. It's about a $50 fix and worked well on the CB. I don't find the vibes of the NC objectionable but put in the heavier weights anyway. Even better than stock.

Back