• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Turn signals and rear lights not working - RESOLVED!

I used a screw extractor to finally remove the last stripped allen screw that was holding the tailight assembly in place. I was never happier in my life to find a well blackened tailight bulb!
Will try replacing the flasher module before finding a place to go for the turn signal exploration. Just good to find some success for my and your efforts!
Thanks again.
Phil

I used a screw extractor to finally remove the last stripped allen screw that was holding the tailight assembly in place. I was never happier in my life to find a well blackened tailight bulb!
Will try replacing the flasher module before finding a place to go for the turn signal exploration. Just good to find some success for my and your efforts!
Thanks again.
Phil
I watch too many detective shows, I know that, but doesn't a stripped screw tell you some previous owner has been messing around in there and considering the issues you're having that it was probably caused in that area, the Occam's Razor explanation? A dollar to a donut that you find the cause there. But I was wrong once before. Darned Sony Betamax.

I watch too many detective shows, I know that, but doesn't a stripped screw tell you some previous owner has been messing around in there and considering the issues you're having that it was probably caused in that area, the Occam's Razor explanation? A dollar to a donut that you find the cause there. But I was wrong once before. Darned Sony Betamax.
In this town you cant even get a donut for a dollar anymore, so its not a fair bet…
Actually I had that same thought when I initially found the stripped screw. Then I thought that i’ve had the bike for more than six years and it’s been fine, so the issue (turns out issues) probably stands on its own.
This whole process has shown me more about what I don’t know, though, than what I do, so maybe you’re right.
Thanks ttp404,
Phil

In this town you cant even get a donut for a dollar anymore, so its not a fair bet…
Actually I had that same thought when I initially found the stripped screw. Then I thought that i’ve had the bike for more than six years and it’s been fine, so the issue (turns out issues) probably stands on its own.
This whole process has shown me more about what I don’t know, though, than what I do, so maybe you’re right.
Thanks ttp404,
Phil
This has been a very interesting thread and sorry for your troubles.

Thanks ttp404,
Phil
Glad to hear you’re on your way to resolving this hopefully. This is a great forum, with lots of helpful members. True for the VFR1200X forum also. I think it has to do with both bikes being rider’s bikes with owners who really live this hobby. I’ve learned a lot from a really knowledgeable group of contributors, snd it’s 99% civil!

Happy to report that I am back on the road with turn signals, flashers, rear lights and brake lights. Thanks again for all your support and help. When I lost my turn signals, I immediately checked the rest of my lights and found that my brake light and rear lights were gone also. I then made the mistake of thinking that because I found them all not functioning at the same time, that they had all stopped working at the same time. It turns out, as someone suggested, that they were two separate events. The rear and tail lights were the bulb, which I was delayed in finding because the final screw to remove the tailight assembly had been stripped and I had to get a screw extractor to remove it. Changing the bulb restored these lights. The turn signals and flashers turned out to be a bad turn/flasher relay, which I was able to change out. As “half spin doctor”said, the relay was was fairly easily accessible by removing the top cover, rather than the more extensive protocol from the manual which would have been to remove all the left side plastics.
Thanks and glad you are here,
Phil in Boulder

Could be a bad flasher relay module. That would explain the turn signal issues, but not the brake lights. The module can be found under the left-hand side plastics on the 2013 model. You can either take off the entire left side plastics (this is what the shop manual specifies), or you can take out the top plastic piece that would be removed as if you are replacing the air filter (which I think is easier).

Part number is 38301-MEW-921. Looks like they are ~$10-15 new with shipping, so probably best approach is to just swap it out. Or I have one that is all yours for free (I replaced it with an LED-compatible flasher module). Just PM me an address. I won't be able to ship out until next week, Wednesday or Thursday, as I am away on vacation right now.

RELAY, TURN SIGNAL (MITSUBA)
38301-MEW-921
Looks like you get the gold star award!

Reminds me of the old riddle: What can you sit on, stand on, and brush your teeth with? Answer: a chair, a floor, and a tooth brush. Moral: sometimes the answer is easier than it seems. I guess it's like Occam's Razor for Dummies.

Back