• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Two ex-Brits on NCs: Ortega Highway, Lake Elsinore and Lake Mathews (CA)

GoRovers

Reaction score
Visit site
Enjoy watching this 3-minute video of yesterday's Southern California motorcycle ride, featuring two NC-riding curmudgeons, both originally from England (as evidenced by the Union Jack) on the back of my helmet. This annotated and captioned video features Brit pop music, a polite CHP officer and "The Dog Paddle."

Route: Steve and I met up in south Orange County (Antonio and Ortega) and rode up Ortega Highway, past the Lookout, through Lake Elsinore, across the 15 freeway, up to Perris and finally along the sweeper roads to Lake Mathews. Lunch at Panini's in Corona and safely back to our homes.

[video=youtube_share;IO8i7G7fj_A]https://youtu.be/IO8i7G7fj_A[/video]

Sunday Mid-Morning Ride: Santiago Canyon, Ortega Highway, Lake Elsinore and Lake Mathews - YouTube

Last edited:
What happened to that cafe on an overlook of Lake Elsinore? Seems like it was called the Lookout or Overlook or something along those lines.

I moved away from So Cal in 1990 so haven't seen any of the changes.

Last edited:
What happened to that cafe on an overlook of Lake Elsinore? Seems like it was called the Lookout or Overlook or something along those lines. I moved away from So Cal in 1990 so haven't seen any of the changes.

DF, the Lookout Roadhouse is still there. I've enjoyed dozens of meals there over the years, however nowadays it's a bit crowded on Sunday, so we sometimes continue down the corkscrew into Elsinore itself and have lunch at Hunnys instead.

The Lookout remains a GREAT photo stop, though.

NOCSMMMR-Ortega-051417-w140.jpg

Even in the late-80s, it was crowded on weekends. I once saw Dan Gurney standing around with his wife checking out the bikes. He raced in F-1 and the Indy 500 back in the day and is still the only American to have built his own car and won an F-1 race in it. :)

Even in the late-80s, it was crowded on weekends. I once saw Dan Gurney standing around with his wife checking out the bikes. He raced in F-1 and the Indy 500 back in the day and is still the only American to have built his own car and won an F-1 race in it. :)
Oh, yeah, I've seen Gurney riding his odd-looking motorcycle many times on Ortega. We refueled together once. Nice guy.

Here's Dan on his famous low CG "Alligator."

Dan-Gurney.jpg

Last edited:
Back