Tyre mileage on nc750

Makingitwork6999

Reaction score
Visit site
I use the throttle and brakes a lot. I seem to be braking before most curves and accelerating after.

Use a generous amount of throttle and you can really drop your tire life.
Astro the dog says: Absarootry.

That explains the sport-tire or race-tire like wear.

Lomunchi

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
In the picture shown, it is interesting that the blocks are so large that they do not seem to wear thin at the corners where the grooves meet.

With a lot of tires with more grooves, the tread wears thin where the grooves meet along the middle of the tire. This is usually a vulnerable area where nails, rocks, and other road debris slip in and puncture the tire.

These tires you had shown have a nice road pattern, good life, and offer some trail capability. That was a great post. The pictures helped.

To everyone else… Attach the pictures of your worn tires. It really helps make purchase decisions. Don’t forget to tell us what tire it is. Thanks for doing that.
FYI; They're the Dunlop Trailmax. I assume they're standard on the 2020 bike.
I also don't do any off road. I'm probably 80% freeway, 10% highway, 10% surface streets.

Makingitwork6999

Reaction score
Visit site
FYI; They're the Dunlop Trailmax. I assume they're standard on the 2020 bike.
I also don't do any off road. I'm probably 80% freeway, 10% highway, 10% surface streets.
Something tells me it is a sport tire with a trail tread. Tire companies do that. Sometimes such a tire is useful when the streets are a little dirty.

Makingitwork6999

Reaction score
Visit site
These are Bridgestone tires for trail use. They are basically sport tires for dirt roads. The tread is thin from the dealer. They are great if you are ten stories up on a Texas super ramp doing a hot curve at 80… er um. Seven…ty….five… You would be thankful they are sport tires. But sadly they have poor tread life. They get very slidy on stones and choppy hard soil. The rain grip is great. I am a little scared of heights so when you are up that high going that fast, there is some comfort. Tread life score is a 5 out of 10. The front tire is a lot like an Avon av53 trailrider. The back is a lot like similar Metzler tourance tires. Frankly the cheaper Shinko 705 suits my taste for speed and dirt. Tastes like peanut butter.

Attachments

• E7BBBFB5-D005-4359-B7F0-327807CFA621.jpeg
    E7BBBFB5-D005-4359-B7F0-327807CFA621.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4

mtnbiker1185

Reaction score
Visit site
I got about 4500 US miles out of my stock ones. Could have probably gotten 5000 but it was starting to slowly lose air from a plug I put in the rear tire...plus I didn't really like them. I have almost 8000 on my current Shinko 009's with plenty of tread left to go. Might try Road 5's next just to see if the price difference is really worth it for me or not.

merlot

Reaction score
Visit site
i was watching FortNine on youtube talking adv tyres and he made an interesting comment
he says that new bikes hit the showroom floor with tyres that we cannot buy
they are made especially for new bikes and are nothing like the tyres(same numbers)on the shelf
one reason for this is to keep the weight down
so that crappy dunlop may be fine when we replace it with the same tyre

i fitted 705's when my oems wore out at 8000kms(bought bike second hand)

TNHoosier

Reaction score
Visit site
I replaced my crappy Dunlops on Friday. Only had 1700 miles on the bike and was well into the wear indicators. I have never had a set of tires wear that quickly in 46 years of riding. I was checking wear every time I stopped and could see the tread disappearing. I don't ride them down to the cords, when they hit the wear indicators I start shopping. This time it was a rush buy so I would not miss out on the end of the riding season.

melensdad

Reaction score
Visit site
i was watching FortNine on youtube talking adv tyres and he made an interesting comment
they are made especially for new bikes and are nothing like the tyres(same numbers)on the shelf

This is sort of an open secret that many manufacturers use. For things like bike tires, the tires may have the same tread pattern as the tires we find available for sale, but the OEM tire may have thinner tread or sometimes even have different compound.

My NCx bikes both had tires that were changed fairly early in the life spans. Both the Bridgestones and Dunlops were cupping oddly on the front. The rears were just wearing out.

670cc

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Mods
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

That is certainly true in some cases, OEM using specially made tires. However, the 2012 NC700X had two potential tire brand/models installed by Honda. One was the Metzeler Z8. It wasn’t a great tire but it had a reasonable life. One could get 8500 miles from the rear tire, if ridden gently, and the same tire was available for purchase elsewhere, not that you would probably want one.

dduelin

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

What F9 said is not universally true. OEM fitment tires are available for some bikes and in some countries the bike cannot pass inspection for annual registration unless OEM approved tires are fitted.

Makingitwork6999

Reaction score
Visit site
This is all true, Ryan F9 and the variability of OEM tires from shelf tires. This randomness keeps everybody guessing what they got.

Now. Throw in your base temp pressure and the variability of your peak temperature or if winter time, bottom temperature, you can have wild operating pressures in your tire. 5lbs can have an impact on tire life span… say at 75mph with a 30mph headwind. Under such conditions I can see the difference in tread from day to day on a 6 hour day. My Shinko rear melts like a stick of butter on a picnic table. That fast. Especially if my peak pressure is 33lbs at high speed. Ludicrous speed.

All my experts say I need to start at 32 and let the pressure climb to 40lbs while riding. They also say this cuts down on lumping. See my tire leak video. Lots of lumps.

Frankly, I still prefer to start at 27. Let the tire wear a wide patch. Then, set my base pressure higher later on in the tire life. But. That is me. You know what they say about opinions and a certain body part. So. Don’t do as I do. Do what you do. Take notes. Listen to your track instructor. Tex, who is very nice, gave me a very technical tire info page. He is a serious goto guy.

More videos on my Rider of the Storm channel. Go get ‘em.

Attachments

• D532DB1A-7037-49ED-B6E0-B98DCEA8EFFB.png
    D532DB1A-7037-49ED-B6E0-B98DCEA8EFFB.png
    993 KB · Views: 3
  • 3E5363C3-CDEE-4177-91D8-C1F92F4861ED.jpeg
    3E5363C3-CDEE-4177-91D8-C1F92F4861ED.jpeg
    291.3 KB · Views: 3

bigbird

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It seems the practise of supplying sub-par OEM tires would be counter-productive to the OEM tire manufacturer.
If I had a shitty OEM tire, I would look to another manufacturer for the replacement.

Makingitwork6999

Reaction score
Visit site
In the case of Automotive tires, the goal is to target the buyer with a perception. Most tires have a grade that says, these have a superior roll quality. So these go to the car factory. In the case of Subaru, the Geolander tires are terrible for everything except hopping over tree limbs. So. Almost every Subaru SUV gets them. Awful around town. Terrible on the highway

For motorcycles: There is always a rider perception that is to be attained. Usually in the early life of a tire. This of course has nothing to do with overall tire quality. The dealer bike tires are generally good for motorbikes. I know one or two exceptions. People argue that the stock dual sport tires for the XR650L wear out in weeks. Not months. But they tear up the dirt. People used to say that the Kenda Spyder tires would smoke and leave long burn marks in the street… only to wear out in a week. So this is about perception for the buyer. Spyders were known for their outrageous burnouts.

So when your tire wears to the bars prematurely on a new bike, what was your perception???

I completely understand why the KTMs are wearing Avon av53s. They have a very high roll quality. But not much tread depth. The highway feel on the Avon is amazing.

Makingitwork6999

Reaction score
Visit site
I can agree with that. You will find the same kind of thing on motorcycles. I could barely recognize brand choices for motorbike tires in Tokyo or Malaysia.

merlot

Reaction score
Visit site
It seems the practise of supplying sub-par OEM tires would be counter-productive to the OEM tire manufacturer.
If I had a shitty OEM tire, I would look to another manufacturer for the replacement.

yes but not the manufacturer..just that particular tyre
i bought my 2016 with 8000kms on the clock
tyres still had some life so i cant really comment on the wear of the oem's....i think he/she was fairly sedate tho,given the cond of the bike at 5yrs old

russ

670cc

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Mods
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think you are right. With all the talk of short lived Dunlop Trailmax tires since Honda put them on NCs , I haven’t bought a Dunlop tire for any motorcycle. It’s probably subconsciously, but when I shop for tires I don’t usually consider any Dunlops nowadays.