Tyre mileage on nc750

TNHoosier

Reaction score
Visit site
I think you are right. With all the talk of short lived Dunlop Trailmax tires since Honda put them on NCs , I haven’t bought a Dunlop tire for any motorcycle. It’s probably subconsciously, but when I shop for tires I don’t usually consider any Dunlops nowadays.
I have not had good experiences with any Dunlop tire I have had on any motorcycle. I absolutely do not consider them when tire shopping. Bridgestone's are 'iffy' for me, they seem to be a 50/50 chance of being a good tire. I track the mileage and ride characteristics vs. cost to help guide me in my search for new tires. With supply chain shortages, shopping for tires is more about what can I get vs what do I want.

Makingitwork6999

Reaction score
Visit site
For Dual Sport, here are some oddball high mileage choices: Trailmax mission. And the motoz tractionator. If you want high grip and low mileage is Ok for the low price, then the Shinko e-705 for the rear is the way to go. I have already had the mission on my NC and liked it. The next tire is the motoz for the rear. I found the front shinko 705 to be imprecise in roll quality at first, but it does calm down over time. Same for the rear shinko. I will keep you posted on the motoz. I am getting that one soon.

Attachments

• FC2B56C0-937B-4EAA-B5EA-1BCFF5809954.png
    FC2B56C0-937B-4EAA-B5EA-1BCFF5809954.png
    652.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 7ECB00B9-55D4-4F51-A30C-0F51BEB57B6E.png
    7ECB00B9-55D4-4F51-A30C-0F51BEB57B6E.png
    941.6 KB · Views: 1
  • 454B703A-DBD0-475E-B4A4-88BED4F9B41C.png
    454B703A-DBD0-475E-B4A4-88BED4F9B41C.png
    637.8 KB · Views: 1

Makingitwork6999

Reaction score
Visit site
What made the trailmax mission short-lived? Short-lived dirt? Short-lived highway? I did notice the broken pavement tearing up the trailmax.

the Ferret

Reaction score
Visit site
I've always been a Michelin fan, never had a bad one. Due to supply shortage I recently tried Pirreli Angel GT and like them even though they didnt last as long as the Michelin but grip seemed equal. The Metzlers that came stock on my 21 DCT have not been bad tires and appear to last nearly as long as the Pirellis and again not as long as the Michelins. I've had Dunlops and they were simply ok, but I have never has a Bridgestone that I liked. The ones that came on my new FJR were horrible tires in handling, grip and thankfully longevity. It was amazing how much better the motorcycle was after switching to Michelins.

I'll probably go to Michelins on the NC when the Metzlers wear out.

I do not ride off road at all.

670cc

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Mods
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
What made the trailmax mission short-lived? Short-lived dirt? Short-lived highway? I did notice the broken pavement tearing up the trailmax.
I don't know about the Trailmax Mission; I think you were the first to mention them. We are taking about the OEM tires made to special OEM specifications. The specially made OEM Dunlop Trailmax tires Honda often put on new NCXs, since maybe 2014, have shallow tread depth when new and typically last only 3000 miles.

Makingitwork6999

Reaction score
Visit site
Ah. My error. So to be clear. The trailmax mission (not the OEM) picture shown above on my post was a fairly high quality rear tire that absorbed rough pavement. Stayed planted on choppy asphalt. But after two hours high speed on farm-torn pavement, i did notice a lot of the carcass worn away. More than other tires. But in the sand and silt and stone, there did not seem to be much wear at all. I generally run from 27 to 28 initial pressure… the summer heat pushes the tire up to higher pressures. Texas!!! Now that it is autumn. I am running my initial pressures higher. 30 to 32. But I am back on the shinko 705 front and rear. Not impressed with rear tire wear or roll quality in the rear. But the front does absorb choppy pavement nicely. I am on my bike about 6 hours at a time. So I watch my tires extra carefully. Because of excessive rear tire wear, I am ordering the Motoz tractionator. Tire patch holding on the shinko despite my attempts to destroy the rear tire. I am very unkind to my rear tire. I am told front tire wear is a function of your fork behavior. So having the right fork setup might help. I just lowered my fork oil level this week a little and got better overall performance out of the front end.

Eat sleep ride repeat.