• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

umm, how do I get on/off this darn thing?

GunNut37086

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I feel like this is the dumbest question ever, but I'm fixin' to ask it anyway. I recently added a Nelson-Rigg tail bag to my NC and have a Kriega US-10 on the way. I thought they'd make my life easier, since I'd no longer be burdened with a backpack. WRONG! I can't even get on/off my darn bike now.

Maybe I'm just old and out of shape, but I didn't anticipate this issue. I can't even roll my ankle over the bag when my knee is planted on the seat. Getting off is way worse than getting on. Do I just need to limber up or is there a trick to this? I bet I look like a doofus getting on/off my bike now...lost all my "cool points" in 2 days.

I try to flip my leg mostly through the area over the rider's seat, instead of over the passenger seat.

Or like David suggested, I put it on the center stand, then step on the peg first with my left leg.

I pick my knee straight in front of me with leg bent, extend my foot over the seat , small hop forward and I'm on.
Yes, that "cool point" (if I ever had it) , is gone.....until I'm riding again!

If you can't do this simple move, then yes, you need to stretch. There's nothing better for an aging body than keeping it as limber as possible. As I've gotten older, I've made my way to primal moves. You tube it for sample moves.

I have gotten on and off by standing on the left foot peg while the bike is on the kickstand. You can also lift your leg up and slide it across the seat. Standing on the foot peg is easier.

Yoga & stretching exercises! :p

I strap a Wolfman Ridgleline on my back seat and with it packed pretty full I can just swing my leg over. I'm 5'8" with a 29" inseam, so it can be done. However I plan on not having to worry about it soon as I'll be ordering the SW Motech AluRack plus soft carrier plate so that I can have my son ride pillion while he works with me for the summer. Then during the weekend for short jaunts with no bag, I'll remove the plate real quick and be back to a streamlined bike! Once when I had to strap some extra stuff on of the bag I did what itlives said and while not really 'cool' looking it works. It's almost like a straight front kick in martial arts, lift your knee up high and kick your foot out. If you can use the centerstand, then left foot on on the foot peg and swing your right leg over works really well too.

I pick my knee straight in front of me with leg bent, extend my foot over the seat , small hop forward and I'm on.
Yes, that "cool point" (if I ever had it) , is gone.....until I'm riding again!

If you can't do this simple move, then yes, you need to stretch. There's nothing better for an aging body than keeping it as limber as possible. As I've gotten older, I've made my way to primal moves. You tube it for sample moves.

I googled this issue before I asked, hoping to hold onto the last vestiges of my self-esteem. I saw the recommendation about standing on the footpeg. When I tried I was just sure my bike was going to tip over...well, that's how it felt anyway. I was on the sidestand on flat, level concrete and I didn't have enough confidence in the side stand to commit to the maneuver.

I think OCR has a video on here somewhere on how he gets on his bike-it may help. You can also step on the foot peg and get on like riding a horse (foot in stirrup action)-that would get you 4-5 inches higher to swing a leg over.

I've also resorted to this leg-lift-with-hop technique and while lacking grace and swagger, it gets me on. This dismount is even harder to pull off than just swinging my leg over the tail bag though.

I stand on the left peg and it allows me swing my leg over the tail and I haven't feel over yet! I make sure that the handlebars are turned all the way to the left, place left foot on left peg, stand on it and swing right leg over. It does feel a little unstable but it hasn't tripped over yet.

I do have a sidestand foot enlarger and that might be helping.

How vertically challenged, short, fat, old, and ugly folks get on an NC7.
You may be shorter and older, but I got you whooped on fatter and uglier.
45b081bfd3fd21dd4988290c34b315a6.jpg

Last edited:
This is what works for me:

1 - Plant your left foot one and a half feet away from the side stand with your heel level with the side stand or even an inch or two more forward
2 - Lean over and grab hold of the handle bars, straighten them or better turn slightly to the right
3 - Lift your right knee high and put it on top of the frunk lid
4 - With your knee up there you may now move your right foot over the drivers seat

Reverse to get off. The main point is you must plant your left foot far enough away (foot and a half) and forward, otherwise your swinging right foot is going to get caught up on the bag strapped to the pillion seat. Turn your handle bars to the right to give yourself more room.

Last edited:
Do the "flamingo" or crane move.
Left foot (straight) on peg while holding handlebar with both hands.
Lift right knee (bent up and forward), nudge the leg over the saddle onto the opposite peg; no swing necessary!
The kickstand can take it since most body weight is on the tires.
Practice will give you confidence and you can even get your mojo back.

Eventually, you can do the 'Roy Rogers'

Last edited:
I think one to remember when mounting the bike by stepping on the left foot peg and lifting your leg over the back of the bike is to reach over with your right hand and grab the front brake before you put any weight on the left foot peg, just make sure the side stand is extended all the way. Especially on DCT bikes.

P.S.

Thanks itlives for that info on Primal Moves

https://www.google.com/search?q=pri...urceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=primal+moves&tbm=vid

I think I'll be adding it to my morning "7 Minute Workout" as a warm-up exercise.

I have used the left foot on foot peg mount before and the only time I had a problem was when the foot peg was wet. My foot kept slipping off! I think I'll be perfecting the OCR method now.

UPDATE:

When the Kreiga came in it was so awesome that I don't use the taller Nelson-Rigg bag any more. So, the problem kind of solved itself. the Kreiga is SO much better and is more low profile.

I think I have an idea how to mount the Nelson-Rigg bag on the frunk lid. When my nylon straps come in, I'll start fabricating some plastic hooks. If it works out, I'll post pics in a new thread. If it doesn't I'll come erase this part of the comment to hide my shame. :D

Back