• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Unexpected very worn pads

rudivb

Reaction score
Visit site
I started getting a bit of noisy brakes, my bike was ready for a clean, so probably dirt I thought, gave everything a good rinse, some brakecleaner(didn't look at the pads). But the noise was still there, reading around here on the sub, people got 30 40 50k on their pads, can't be the pads can it, well at 16000km my pads are totally gone. 10k km of those are mine and admittedly mostly stop and go city traffic conditions.

Did I damage my disc by going so far? What should I look out for? Will make some photos if anyone expects my disc to be damaged...

Any other tips&tricks and budget recommendations for new pads?

IMG20230517180222.jpg

Attachments

• IMG20230517180246.jpg
    IMG20230517180246.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG20230517180235.jpg
    IMG20230517180235.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 8
You definitely got the most mileage out of those pads they were able to deliver. The metal backing plate was in contact with the disc in two areas so I would examine the corresponding area of the disc for excessive scoring or concentric grooves. The disc is probably OK from the look of the pad but I'd examine it.

I prefer Honda original equipment pads myself but there are aftermarket pads available from EBC, Galfer, etc. and also Chinese pads on eBay. I would not buy any that were not made of sintered metal friction material and rated HH. ABS and non-ABS bikes take different front pads so it would be helpful for pad suggestions to know year and model.

Got your money's worth out of those. FYI the front pads on my 2021 went 23,405 mi (37,667 km). They were replaced with OEM pads. I'm still on the original rears at 28,271 (45,498 kms)

You definitely got the most mileage out of those pads they were able to deliver. The metal backing plate was in contact with the disc in two areas so I would examine the corresponding area of the disc for excessive scoring or concentric grooves. The disc is probably OK from the look of the pad but I'd examine it.

I prefer Honda original equipment pads myself but there are aftermarket pads available from EBC, Galfer, etc. and also Chinese pads on eBay. I would not buy any that were not made of sintered metal friction material and rated HH. ABS and non-ABS bikes take different front pads so it would be helpful for pad suggestions to know year and model.

Hi thanks, that's some good information, definitely gonna inspect the disc, I went over it quickly with my finger and nail, but nothing my nail would catch, but I'm not sure at what proportions of damage I'm looking for.

So HH rated and ABS, gonna have look at the OEM pads too.

Got your money's worth out of those. FYI the front pads on my 2021 went 23,405 mi (37,667 km). They were replaced with OEM pads. I'm still on the original rears at 28,271 (45,498 kms)
That's for sure! But I prefer to be a bit on the safer side next time, just didn't expect it at my mileage.

Hi thanks, that's some good information, definitely gonna inspect the disc, I went over it quickly with my finger and nail, but nothing my nail would catch, but I'm not sure at what proportions of damage I'm looking for.

So HH rated and ABS, gonna have look at the OEM pads too.
What is the model year in case I overlooked it in a previous post.

I applaud your extremely efficient use of the Earth's resources.

I'd say you caught them at the perfect time. I've never got anywhere near the backing plate. I'm too cautious and waste money as a result.

After a bit of research I've ordered the EBC FA388HH pads, they should deliver a bit more braking power. :)

I like the NICHE pads, dont know if the are available for the NC 750,
I used them on my 2018 Goldwing Tour DCT and they were better and cheaper than the Honda OEM pads.

After a bit of research I've ordered the EBC FA388HH pads, they should deliver a bit more braking power. :)
Meh….IMO they do provide a better feel but I’m not sure they reduced stopping distance at all. Don’t get me wrong; I like the pads and have had them on this bike and two others. I’m just trying to manage expectations.

By all means, try the EBC HH pads and see what you think. I put them on my Goldwing and found them a bit too grabby and sort of non-linear. I removed the EBCs and went back to stock pads. I use stock pads on the NC, too. They lasted about 50,000 miles (80,000 km) on my NC until they hit the wear indicator. Obviously, riding style has a lot to do with brake life.

Meh….IMO they do provide a better feel but I’m not sure they reduced stopping distance at all. Don’t get me wrong; I like the pads and have had them on this bike and two others. I’m just trying to manage expectations.
By all means, try the EBC HH pads and see what you think. I put them on my Goldwing and found them a bit too grabby and sort of non-linear. I removed the EBCs and went back to stock pads. I use stock pads on the NC, too. They lasted about 50,000 miles (80,000 km) on my NC until they hit the wear indicator. Obviously, riding style has a lot to do with brake life.

They were a little cheaper than OEMs, if they are similar or a little more aggressive, that's fine by me.

Back