• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Upgrade the NC or new bike

Bigfootjdk

Reaction score
Visit site
So I'm going back and forth. Being a larger rider 6'6" 250lbs. Trying to determine whether I should upgrade suspension on the 2013 NC700x manual...or if it's just time for another bike. Any thoughts? The bike sags and bottoms out with me on it. And seems to get a bit sketchy in the corners on rough roads

Last edited:
No bike's suspension, new or used, are made for riders that weigh 250 pounds (well maybe Harleys, but they only have 2-4" of suspension). If you are happy with the bike otherwise, upgrade the suspension. If you find it lacking in other ways that make you want something else (horsepower, handling, ergos, capacities etc), buy something else, but be prepared to work on the suspension on that as well.

I think what the Ferret meant was that many bikes will need a suspension upgrade to handle heavier riders so moving to another bike may require suspension upgrading anyway. At least that is my take on it.

I understand was hoping that wouldn't be the case. Any suggestions on suspension...cognent vs racetech vs yss?
I had good luck with Cogent Dynamic fork emulators and his suggested rear shock on my NC700X bu I had good luck with Race Tech on another bike. I'd recommend either one, leaning to the one that lists NC700/750 specific applications.

Those of us on the far ends of the size spectrum are due to suffer.

You are 6'6" and 250# so for you, seat heights are probably low and suspensions soft

at 5' 5 1/2" and 165 pounds seat heights are usually too high for me and suspensions too taut.

How do you build a seat for both of us with the correct foam and shape? How about windshield heights? Reach to the bars?

If we were both 5'9" -5 10" and 185 pounds things would be pretty good in the motorcycle world, but nature and genetics doesn't make everyone the same size.

Lots of considerations. Daily driver, weekend rider, or somewhere in between? I like working on bikes (anything with a motor) so upgrading the suspension could make sense under the right circumstances simply because it is part of the hobby for me. For me, I would buy the new bike and upgrade the suspension on it as the amount of money you could spend on the upgrades could get close to 66% of the current value of the 8 year old bike. I hope that is helpful somehow.

Lots of considerations. Daily driver, weekend rider, or somewhere in between? I like working on bikes (anything with a motor) so upgrading the suspension could make sense under the right circumstances simply because it is part of the hobby for me. For me, I would buy the new bike and upgrade the suspension on it as the amount of money you could spend on the upgrades could get close to 66% of the current value of the 8 year old bike. I hope that is helpful somehow.
Definitely somewhere in between. And yea that's my thoughts...I do wish the bike had a bit more power. But overall it's still more bike then my skill can fully use. I enjoy the ride...just would like to make it more enjoyable. Whether that be something new or some work on this one. The cost of upgrading is definitely cheaper then a new bike, and I feel there is a lot of life left in this one. Haven't even hit 20000 miles yet. I'm cool with doing the suspension if it will make a noticable difference but Id hate to spend that much time and money and it's not really be a big change in the ride. I just know that now the bike sags enough I have to get off to put the kick stand up...as well as issues noted previously.

But will the suspension upgrade make a big difference?
I think so, but as always ymmv.

With Cogent Dynamics, you talk to them on the phone about what you want and how you ride. They make the shock just for you. If anyone can make something work for you specifically, it would be CD. Or a group like them.

At 6’6” the NC ergo‘s far less than ideal. They can be change slightly…….but…….there are limits.
Leg, knee and hip angle are important for comfort.
Also depends a lot on type and length of rides……….20 minute commute vs 2-3 hour ride vs long touring with gear.

I am 6’3” 205# when I switch from the NC to the VFR1200x the NC seems tiny. I did the front and rear suspension upgrade years back……no regrets.

Attachments

• A80E97C8-A37C-4064-A3C3-F00E4AB941E5.png
    A80E97C8-A37C-4064-A3C3-F00E4AB941E5.png
    592 KB · Views: 11
Definitely somewhere in between. And yea that's my thoughts...I do wish the bike had a bit more power. But overall it's still more bike then my skill can fully use. I enjoy the ride...just would like to make it more enjoyable. Whether that be something new or some work on this one. The cost of upgrading is definitely cheaper then a new bike, and I feel there is a lot of life left in this one. Haven't even hit 20000 miles yet. I'm cool with doing the suspension if it will make a noticable difference but Id hate to spend that much time and money and it's not really be a big change in the ride. I just know that now the bike sags enough I have to get off to put the kick stand up...as well as issues noted previously.
Springs are cheap. Maybe try that? Then if it does not work you're only out about 400 bucks all in for the front and rear. I am still learning about suspension so I could be way off on that being a viable solution, but I'm right about the price (DIY). Hyperpro springs on the front of the VFR really helped a lot but I was trying to correct something different than you. Seems logical but I'd put it out to Dduelin, 670, janus and others who demonstrated a lot of knowledge on the subject.

At 6’6” the NC ergo‘s far less than ideal. They can be change slightly…….but…….there are limits.
Also depends a lot on type and length of rides……….20 minute commute vs 2-3 hour ride vs long touring with gear.

I am 6’3” 205# when I switch from the NC to the VFR1200x the NC seems tiny. I did the front and rear suspension upgrade years back……no regrets

I am 6’3” 205# when I switch from the NC to the VFR1200x the NC seems tiny. I did the front and rear suspension upgrade years back……no regrets.
Yea I've got risers coming, and thinking of putting some adjustable pegs on...as well as possibly a seat. Really don't have much issues on the short rides...but feel like some of that would help alot on the 2 hour plus days. Which I would like to have a lot more often...but work really tries to get in the way of that. Lol. Most of the bikes I've sat on or ridden feel uncomfortable almost immediately...or the handle bars hit my knees. I love to ride but being my size has limited my bike selection for sure.

On a bike with such low mileage and knowing the sort of mileage that they can accumulate, I would upgrade suspension. If done right it will make a very significant difference. A decent shock with the correct spring for Your weight is easy enough. The forks innards would need to be chosen carefully though, so do plenty of research.

At my heaviest, I was around 230 lbs riding my 2013 NC, and I'm 6'1". I'm down to about 205ish now. Regardless, I suggest you check out your rear shock and MAX the preload out if it isn't already. Don't ask questions about whether max is too much, just max it out and you will like it much better I promise. Both of my NC's have oem rear shock and preload maxed out. It's annoying as hell to do, helps if the rear wheel is off but can be done without removing the rear wheel. Helps to have the bike on the center stand if you have one too. Get a long heavy duty flat head screwdriver or pry bar and a heavy hammer, and knock the preload rings around until it reaches near the end of the threads. Or use spanner wrenches if you can find some that are small enough to fit in there, but those can be aggravating to use too. I used both to do mine. Lol

Now this doesn't fix the diving and terrible feedback from the forks in the curves, but some new springs will. I sent my forks off to Thermosman Suspensions and he replaced the springs with some to suit my weight and then installed the Racetech Gold Valve Emulators. I did this mod mainly for track use, as I do trackdays on that bike now. However, I am happy enough with oem suspension on my other 2016 NC with oem forks and oem rear shock with preload maxed out, that I feel no need to spend any money on the suspension for that bike.

Geometry plays a part in how a bike feels in the turns. When I first started doing trackdays, my 2013 NC would push way wide, like it didn't want to turn in quick. Maxed out preload and it changed the way the bike felt A LOT. The guy I bought it from was an older man and had it lowered with 2" lowering links. I removed those and put it back to stock, but didn't think to check if he'd backed off all the preload on the rear shock, and sure enough, that was the culprit. It was almost all the way down so the rear was way too low with my 230 lb arse on it trying to push through the turns. Raising it back up by maxing preload made a world of difference. Then building the forks made another world of difference.

Just try adjusting the rear shock first and see if that improves things enough to suit you. If not, you can look into spending some change on aftermarket suspension goodies.

I am 5’10” 220 dressed.

the YSS fork kit for heavy riders will do just fine. The cb500x rear shock replacement from YSS will also work. I have the 2013 DCT.

Big guys need to always make adjustments. No “Max Load” jokes please.

I believe YSS should do a shock specific to the NC. They certainly do one for my X-Adv variant.

At your height I’d say you are on the wrong bike. Harley touring frame all the way. Road king and up.
way more comfortable ride. Suspension is great, seat awesome.
I like the NC mainly for the frunk and MPG.
as a city and errand runner it’s great.
for highway the ergos are not the best, and the seat even after repadding is minimally acceptable for an hour ride. 2 hours and I need a break. 5,10” and 240.

I've always said the stock NC700x is designed for a Japanese man weighing about 150 lbs. I'm 6' 230lbs so I put an Ohlins on the rear and racetech fork springs ... it made a substantial difference.

I don't know that I've ever seen a OEM disclose what its stock spring on any bike is designed for in terms of weight. I also don't know how that impacts electronic suspensions (like on the Africa Twin, BMW GS, etc.). I always thought that dealers should offer at least spring changes to get the suspension to the buyer's weight.

As for BigFoot's original question ... I think if you like everything else about the NC I'd do the suspension changes. If you want other main feature upgrades (more hp, cruise control, electronic suspension, ride modes, etc.) then a new bike would be better. I've thought about changing from my 2015 NC700 DCT many times, but it does what I need very well, and unless I upgrade to something like an R1250RT or GS, or the Africa Twin, I'm happy with what I have. And those other bikes are $18K-$25K.

Last edited:
Back