• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Upgrade the NC or new bike

So I'm going back and forth. Being a larger rider 6'6" 250lbs. Trying to determine whether I should upgrade suspension on the 2013 NC700x manual...or if it's just time for another bike. Any thoughts? The bike sags and bottoms out with me on it. And seems to get a bit sketchy in the corners on rough roads
Look at the Honda Africa Twin since you're so tall. I also have an NC700X but 30" inseam which just barely lets me put my feet on the ground. Weigh 250 so no bottom out on suspension.

At your height I’d say you are on the wrong bike. Harley touring frame all the way. Road king and up.
way more comfortable ride. Suspension is great, seat awesome.
I like the NC mainly for the frunk and MPG.
as a city and errand runner it’s great.
for highway the ergos are not the best, and the seat even after repadding is minimally acceptable for an hour ride. 2 hours and I need a break. 5,10” and 240.
Harleys are overpriced junk. And smaller framed than many other cruisers, for example, my Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1600. And the Street Glide has the worst suspension of any bike I've ever ridden. 2" rear suspension travel. Hit a pot hole and schedule your back surgery for the next day. I've owned one Harley, a 2014 Street Glide Special, and will never own another Harley product as long as I live. I know everyone has their opinions on things like that, this is just my opinion. I bought the Harley while still owning my Nomad, and gladly so. I didn't have that Harley 3 months and went back to the Nomad. Much more leg room on my Nomad than the Harley.

Another cruiser that is bigger framed is the Victory Cross Country bikes. Yes, Victory went out of business, but the bikes are still around and can be had at great deals, and accommodate larger, long legged riders great.

Ok so quick update...I've decided I want to hold onto the NC for at least awhile longer. First I adjusted preload on factory shock. I ordered seat concepts seat...some rox risers, clutch cable was to long so I ordered the ctx one. Haven't gotten everything yet but hopefully soon. Also got a throttle lock which helps some on the longer rides. Oh and grip puppies...those made a world of difference for my hands. Mad at myself for not putting those on sooner.

I've checked out the Africa twin and although tall...didn't feel like it gave me a lot of extra legroom...but that exhaust sounds so good almost wanted to buy it as soon as I cranked. Also felt like the balance was weird compared to NC ...a bit too heavy but nice for the extra power.

As far as Harleys go I've been on a few...and my feet go numb very quickly and my legs feel cramped. Because I've got shorter arms and longer legs putting mini apes on makes it where I can't move as far back in the seat for my legs. Checked out an Indian dark horse...and with a certain aftermarket seat it felt pretty comfortable. But then again...we are back to the 20000 and up club. The pan am looks nice and has a lot of nice features but I haven't been on one yet.

But hopefully...with these mods...and the suspension change I have planned a bit later this year. It will last me for awhile.

Ok so quick update...I've decided I want to hold onto the NC for at least awhile longer. First I adjusted preload on factory shock. I ordered seat concepts seat...some rox risers, clutch cable was to long so I ordered the ctx one. Haven't gotten everything yet but hopefully soon. Also got a throttle lock which helps some on the longer rides. Oh and grip puppies...those made a world of difference for my hands. Mad at myself for not putting those on sooner.

I've checked out the Africa twin and although tall...didn't feel like it gave me a lot of extra legroom...but that exhaust sounds so good almost wanted to buy it as soon as I cranked. Also felt like the balance was weird compared to NC ...a bit too heavy but nice for the extra power.

As far as Harleys go I've been on a few...and my feet go numb very quickly and my legs feel cramped. Because I've got shorter arms and longer legs putting mini apes on makes it where I can't move as far back in the seat for my legs. Checked out an Indian dark horse...and with a certain aftermarket seat it felt pretty comfortable. But then again...we are back to the 20000 and up club. The pan am looks nice and has a lot of nice features but I haven't been on one yet.

But hopefully...with these mods...and the suspension change I have planned a bit later this year. It will last me for awhile.
Just wait until next year, and maybe the rumored CB1100X will come out. Due to Honda securing some patents, experts believe they are developing a new bike based on the Africa Twin 1100, but more street oriented. Something to sort of take the place of the discontinued VFR1200X. It should be like a bigger better NC. I'm hoping like hell they come out with it, I will most likely have one unless I find something else between now and then. I've really been studying on buying a Yamaha FJ-09 or a Tracer 900 (same bikes, just different generations), and designing a custom crossover shifter linkage for right foot shifting since I can't shift with my left foot (leg leg amputee), hence why I ride a DCT now.

Back