• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Upgrading from a Burgman 400 in Toronto

There should be extra testing required before you're allowed to buy a truck or full-sized SUV. So many people who own them are incapable of operating a vehicle of that size and almost no one (in my personal experience with the 'average road user') knows how to effectively secure a load.
I completely agree with this, I think the U.S. is to lax on licensing, I have a class A with 5 endorsements so I've gone through more of the process then most but still think it was simpler them it should be.

My son (who was 16 at the time) was T-boned by a girl that had just got her license 2 weeks earlier, she was driving a 97 suburban he was driving a 2010 Honda civic, the girl had her friend and boyfriend in the vehicle (illegal your first 6 months of driving) she was speeding and ran a stop sign (because she was distracted) and hit my son's vehicle hard enough to total both vehicles. I don't believe a child should be driving a 5,000lb vehicle.
Luckily no one was seriously injured but it was still scary pulling up to the seen and seeing both vehicles smashed knowing my son was driving one of them

I like the idea of a progressive licensing system (so it's not simply an academic exercise) start out with a normal vehicle for a year or two and then you can move up to something larger with more power and or start towing a trailer, or something like that.

As far as securing your load, most of the U.S. Has good enough laws on the books it's the lack of enforcement that's the problem, dash cams are helping in law suits but it would be better if it didn't get to that point.

Hi everyone, I've all but decided to buy a used 2012 NC700XA with 15000 km on it. I've been riding scooters since 2010, and a Burgman 400 for the last 3 years. Unfortunately I was in a collision at the beginning of the month with a spontaneous left-turner and the Burgman was damaged beyond repair. The rider (me) was luckily OK beyond a few smallish bruises that have all healed by now.

I was initially going to replace my Burgman with another one, though they are kind of hard to find around here. But I happened across this NC700XA for sale in the classifieds which looks to be in terrific condition and has lots of farkles: heated grips, fog lights, crash bars centre stand, Shad Comfort seat, and best of all, a full complement of Givi luggage: top and side cases. So adding up the usable litres of storage including the frunk comes out to quite a bit more than what I had on the Burgman. Plus the fuel efficiency on the NC700 seems like an improvement as well. The price seems about the same as I'd have to pay to get the same condition Burgman I lost: ~$5500 Canadian. My insurance company has been low-balling me on the settlement, but I'll keep trying to get them up to a realistic amount, and meanwhile I'm keen to get on two wheels again. This bike seems like a good deal, so I may well buy it as early as tomorrow.

Here's a question. As I said, I've been riding scooters since 2010. And that means CVT and no shifting. Left hand controls the rear brake, and the right hand controls the front brake. The feet do nothing except rest on the floorboards. The NC700XA in question here is the manual transmission model (the only kind sold in Canada in 2012 – though it does have ABS which is a must for me). When I first got my motorcycle licence, I took a weekend course where I learned to ride motorcycles with shiftable gears, but I haven't been on one since then. How long do you think it will take me to get used to riding a manual bike? I've been trying to refresh my memory by watching YouTube videos where they explain how to shift, but of course watching and doing aren't the same thing. My only other slight concern is that it's a taller bike than the Burgman was, and my inseam is only 30", though it looks like others with the same sized legs have managed on the balls of their feet. Thoughts? Anyone have experience going from a Burgman or similar to the NC7X0?
Sorry to hear about your accident, glad you weren't hurt badly

Sorry to hear about your accident, glad you weren't hurt badly

Thank you. And you're right in what you wrote above. I'm glad your son was all right as well. At least modern cars have pretty good safety for the drivers and passengers. Pedestrians, cyclists and motorcyclists are much more exposed to risk.

I should say though, so as not to paint all pickup truck drivers with the same brush (and so that this doesn't turn into a pickup truck driver bashing thread), that a friend drove me to Oakville with his truck and trailer to carry my new bike back to my house in Toronto.
And, of course, there’s me and my pickup truck, a new-ish F150 4X4... well, mine until my volunteer gig is up in a couple of weeks. I haven’t done anything crazy or stupid with it—yet! :cool:

But then there’s the middle-aged couple who I was following into a campground where I was the host. This was a few months ago at Great Basin National Park. They entered the campground with their large pickup and suddenly stopped. No problem, I’m always ready for irrational behavior like that; I stopped my bike, too. And then they put it in reverse...

Fortunately by habit I always stop with the bike in first gear, clutch engaged. I managed to gun it and shoot off to their right side (into a shallow ditch) before they could crunch me under their tailgate. Close one! I’ll be giving pickups even more space in the future. Lots more!

I wish there was mandatory retesting. I don't know how some people passed the first time. How about insurance discounts for people who regularly take rider/driver training.

Back