• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

US patent

VE258

Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone on this board holding any US patent? i have a few questions about it and i couldn't find any info online.

Thank you!

Thank you for a link! im familiar with the basics and "workflow". one(of many) question that i have -if you file for a patent (but no granted)-are you protected? from someone,who might try use your idea?
when you file for a patent-is that when you can put on your materials "patent pending" words?

for example-i have unique design and prototype for let say a wind deflector. or I've invented an airbag (some safety device for the bike), filed for a patent, then(before i granted) i go to the manufacturer and pitch this idea to be manufactured and installed on the bike so they can produce a first bike with such unique features. for a small "royalty fee" to me ,as an inventor. but instead of giving you some money for usage of your idea, they just grab it and do that without you. are you protected from that when you file,but not yet granted the patent?

Thank you!

I've got patents - not individually owned but developed while I worked for others - but that doesn't mean I know the legal side of it at all. Maybe you should consider talking with a lawyer before you go talking to manufacturers?

A patent doesn't protect you from others stealing your idea. A patent only gives you the ability to spend money to hire lawyers to protect your rights to the invention. If somebody with deep pockets steals your idea then it may cost you a lot of money and you may never even win. As an example, look at Robert Kearns, the inventor of the intermittent windshield wiper. It took him 40 years, his marriage, and most of his life to get the auto manufacturers to pay him a pittance.

The whole patent system is broken. In the case of Kearns, windshield wipers existed, electric motors existed and electrical timing circuits existed. The car manufacturers argued that it wasn't much of an "invention" and didn't deserve a patent - any electrical engineer applied to the problem would have eventually come up with a similar solution and probably did - thus the whole part about non-obvious to a skilled practitioner in the definition of what is patent worthy. Our patent lawyers have stretched the definition of what is and isn't patent worthy to such an extent that the whole system is a joke. And don't get me started on software patents - Alice is the best decision in a hundred years from SCOTUS in the opinion of this software engineer.

I am not saying there aren't patent-able products but the system is way broken.

digging out a dead,smelly mouse with a mouse trap from a crawlspace i was thinking-why there is no wireless mouse trap for sale? simple RC transmitter and receiver with LED indicating in green that the mouse trap is ok and red light if battery is low when switch was triggered. i can make one myself probably under $10 and sell it on ebay. oh wait...

Patent US20130342344 - Wireless Mousetrap and System - Google Patents

can i?

back in early 2000 every saturday i have to drive my son to a tutor. it was probably 10-12 miles long ride one way. and i was telling him-why there was no system(or exchange),where registered drivers like me can pick some old grandma,who was trying to save a few bucks on gas, if he or she was on my route anyway? that was years before this (now 44B(!)) company-

Uber (company) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

similar system\model can be adapted in delivery services. registered,insured driver can pick up packages from main carrier, if they are heading same way. this would save a whole lot more money for everyone and could be much quicker and efficient way to deliver goods.
what im' saying is that all this stuff is constantly popping(i have literally 10's of examples,when ideas,that i told to my family later adopted by many companies) in my head and if there is a inexpensive way to protect them- i probably should do that next time. can i? should i?

Ideas are insubstantial and cannot be protected by patent (or at least they shouldn't be able to be patented - examples exist). An idea for a wireless mousetrap is nothing. A design and model for a wireless mousetrap might be something you can patent. An idea for a business is nothing. A working business with a unique delivery model is something that can be patented (though again, I strongly disagree that business models should be patentable though they are).

If Ideas alone were patentable, I could patent an energy ray gun like Han Solo's even though I have no concept of how to build such a thing. Faster than light engines? Sign me up. Time Travel? How about I patent that too? Instant desalination process - I don't know how it would actually work but its would be a great invention - where are the forms? Atmospheric regeneration for planetary terra-forming - its gotta be possible and I just thought of it so I should get the patent. See what I mean?

Patents are for inventions not ideas. Next time you have an idea - invent it!

i totally understand that you can't patent a thought,but i case of wireless mouse trap- i don't have problem to design and build a working prototype. same for let say a small device that will protect motorcycle in case of a side crash.

Ideas are insubstantial and cannot be protected by patent (or at least they shouldn't be able to be patented - examples exist). An idea for a wireless mousetrap is nothing. A design and model for a wireless mousetrap might be something you can patent. An idea for a business is nothing. A working business with a unique delivery model is something that can be patented (though again, I strongly disagree that business models should be patentable though they are).

If Ideas alone were patentable, I could patent an energy ray gun like Han Solo's even though I have no concept of how to build such a thing. Faster than light engines? Sign me up. Time Travel? How about I patent that too? Instant desalination process - I don't know how it would actually work but its would be a great invention - where are the forms? Atmospheric regeneration for planetary terra-forming - its gotta be possible and I just thought of it so I should get the patent. See what I mean?

Patents are for inventions not ideas. Next time you have an idea - invent it!
I just gotta say with no disrespect intended. You are my kind of nerd lol

Back