• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Using 87 instead 91 gas

The Fortnine video you link to is the most unscientific experiment I have ever seen.
The Fortnine guy, Ryan Kluftinger who made that video, has zero credibility as a scientist.
In his own words in an interview:
"Man, I don't know shit. I don't think I'm qualified to be influential in any regard to the motorcycle industry. Man, I don't really know what I'm doing out here."

He has a BA in Art History and Physics from McGill University in Montreal.
Nothing in his curriculum vitae about chemistry, biochemistry, chemical engineering, or anything else related to anything he says or does in this video.
If fuel stabilizers did not work, big companies like Goldeagle (Stabil) and Seafoam would never have survived and thrived over decades.

For what, exactly? Company profit?
It's helped clean up rough running engines for me more than once. It can also clean up the oil side of the engine too. Have a sticking ticking hydraulic lifter sea foam can take care of it. Since I started using it my carbed engines don't have a problem after winter storage. So I will keep using it.

I use Seafoam in bulk diesel storage tanks. Don’t think I’ve used it for a gas engine but it’s a well established brand that’s been around a long time, can’t imagine it would last this long as a brand it it didn’t do something good.

My experience is that Seafoam is great for cleaning carbs in the summer if you are too lazy to pull them apart and clean properly B-). Just add to the gas tank (or pour directly into the fuel line), and run it until the smoke and gunk burns off.

For other claims as a fuel or oil additive, may or may not be helpful. Probably not necessary to add to every tank.

The Fortnine video you link to is the most unscientific experiment I have ever seen.
The Fortnine guy, Ryan Kluftinger who made that video, has zero credibility as a scientist.
"Man, I don't know shit. I don't think I'm qualified to be influential in any regard to the motorcycle industry. Man, I don't really know what I'm doing out here."

Nothing in his curriculum vitae about chemistry, biochemistry, chemical engineering, or anything else related to anything he says or does in this video.
If fuel stabilizers did not work, big companies like Goldeagle (Stabil) and Seafoam would never have survived and thrived over decades.
I counter your "big companies wouldn't thrive [if they sold bad products]" argument with The Multi-Billion Dollar 'Supplement' Industry aka snake oil salesmen.

I'm not saying that the video in question was Good Science, but it is the biggest attempt at scientific studies for the layman that I have seen on the subject. I am also not saying there aren't better studies, just that I haven't seen any.

Just because the guy 'only' has a Physics degree doesn't mean he can't understand chemistry. I think there are a lot of things to quibble about regarding the video, but his Authority as a presenter isn't one of them.

I would have liked to see a long term experiment which matches typical holding periods for folks who garage their bikes over winter. Or worse— fall through spring. Something approximating how gas is actually stored i.e. in a relatively sealed tank. I don't think his video is thorough enough to make any serious claims to efficacy but I would avoid the products he called out for being negative outliers

First off, interview and what is he doing are two separate things. If he said "I know what am I doing" it really hard to say to anybody and if somebody said something like that - lies! ALso, a sentence like that could bring him some consequences later because there is still A LOT OF PEOPLE who NEED notifications like "Don't use your hair dryer while taking a shower", or similar...

"Nothing in his curriculum vitae about chemistry, biochemistry, chemical engineering, or anything else related to anything he says or does in this video." - how many of people here on the forum, or people we know didn't finished any mech. engineering college/school but they are good mechanics? If your wife cooks and you eat - did she finished the CIA? I personally know many people who finished school for something much different than what they do now - and they are really good at their job.

"If fuel stabilizers did not work, big companies like Goldeagle (Stabil) and Seafoam would never have survived and thrived over decades." - with good advertisement and sales pitch "who cares about the product"?!?

I'm not saying that the video/Ryan is correct, scientific or so. Just that your logic doesn't make any sense to me.

Back