Using your credit card to ride cross country? Get ready for a shock

Makingitwork6999

Reaction score
Visit site
wow, that has never happened to me. If I buy $5 worth of gas (which I did this morning on my Mastercard filling up my CB). The pump says $5 and gives me a receipt for $5 and when my bill comes, it says I bought $5 worth of gas at the station in Amelia, Ohio on 6/5/21. That's it. I pay the $5 when I get the bill and the cycle (pun) continues.

Do all people in Texas have this problem or just you?
With evidence, this varies wildly. I give it another few years before it comes to a head and someone in congress proposes a bill to quell it or add another layer of complexity. After all, it is how things work. You cannot remove old laws. You can only write new ones to say what parts of the old laws no longer apply. Mostly because laws have about 600 to 1,000 pages... on purpose. At least, that is what the experts tell me. [Singing... I am just a bill on Capitol Hill... I am too big to read... so I become a law because of my popular sounding title.... singing continues]

It varies from pump to pump and card to card.

The evidence is above. This is why i started this thread. To show the wild west of credit card gas purchases.

I will be using a special safe credit card or an E-card from now on. The E-card is on my phone.

The E-card that I have (A gold plan - whatever the hell that means) clears the $100 deposit in minutes- replacing the deposit with the gas purchase amount. The other card... Hmmm. a week maybe. I can actually watch the numbers change on my phone.

Last edited:

Makingitwork6999

Reaction score
Visit site
... and time to prep the bike again for another ride. I need to try the E-card at some of the more modern gas stations. I ride almost daily now. Since my NC bike is all-weather and all-terrain... i am kinda unstoppable.

670cc

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Mods
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
What I often see is a very temporary hold charge on the credit card account when purchasing fuel at a pump. As I understand, the card is approved for the purchase before you pump the gas, but it is not yet know what the purchase amount will be. So if I check the account immediately, there is a charge of around $125 shown (amount determined by the vendor), but that dollar amount is quickly changed to the actual sale price once the transaction is complete.

In the past I had fuel cards for company car use. On at least one of the cards, if you swiped the card more than three times in a day, the card was disabled until you called in to have it reset. I guess it was a fraud prevention practice.

Makingitwork6999

Reaction score
Visit site
What I often see is a very temporary hold charge on the credit card account when purchasing fuel at a pump. As I understand, the card is approved for the purchase before you pump the gas, but it is not yet know what the purchase amount will be. So if I check the account immediately, there is a charge of around $125 shown (amount determined by the vendor), but that dollar amount is quickly changed to the actual sale price once the transaction is complete.
This means you have quick visibility to the bank’s point-of-view of the transaction.

not everyone has that. Good for you!!

Lomunchi

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Never had that problem. In my case traveling for business.
There are lots of credit card companies in the sea. change it if you don't like how they operate.
Your friendly neighborhood credit union is often a great place to start. Acknowledgement: I was on the Board of Directors for a large one for 21 years so I'm biased. bit I also know how banks work. Fees are killers. Wells Fargo is the worst of them. They also provide the worst savings rates but, I digress.

Final comment: Cash is king. From my CU I get reimbursed for ATM transaction fees and can carry cash at no cost. It is also a great way to budget and to feel the pain of spending money in a way you don't feel it with a swipe.

mzflorida

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I just wanted to chime in on one more point. So I hate cell phones. As soon as I retire from the private sector, I firmly believe that I will throw mine in the Gulf of Mexico. That editorial comment aside, Apple Pay, Android Pay, and the like are the safest methods of payment outside of cash. Understand that I am referring to point of sale transactions, not web transactions. Though linking a debit card to payment applications and processing as a debit transaction with a pin does not impact the conditions of concern related to this thread, it is safer than any other method. What these apps accomplish is the adjudication of a transaction without anyone other than the issuing bank actually "knowing" the true account number. There are other weaknesses but very difficult to exploit. I still don't do this 100% of the time...because I hate cell phones and I leave the bastard in the car more often than not...but am consciously attempting to make this my habit.

Makingitwork6999

Reaction score
Visit site
A very valid point. Because my cell phone can buy things now, i cannot let it out of my sight. My young family members are hacking passcodes faster than they can open a jar of jelly.

Janus

Reaction score
Visit site
When I did my Saddlesore 1000 run I had no problems using my card until I got east of Missoula, Montana. I tried the card a couple times at the pump but it kept declining. Had to use my debit card.

Then I got a call from an agent asking if I had gone over 500 miles from home in a relatively short time. When I confirmed, they asked if I was doing so without coercion or being kidnapped.

I briefly thought about trying to explain the inescapable compulsion to ride, but I wanted to keep using the card. So I just laughed and said no, I'm just a crazy person doing a motorcycle challenge ride. They unlocked the card and put on a travel notice for the day.

That was the closest I came to having a problem using a credit card on the road.

Makingitwork6999

Reaction score
Visit site
When I did my Saddlesore 1000 run I had no problems using my card until I got east of Missoula, Montana. I tried the card a couple times at the pump but it kept declining. Had to use my debit card.

Then I got a call from an agent asking if I had gone over 500 miles from home in a relatively short time. When I confirmed, they asked if I was doing so without coercion or being kidnapped.

I briefly thought about trying to explain the inescapable compulsion to ride, but I wanted to keep using the card. So I just laughed and said no, I'm just a crazy person doing a motorcycle challenge ride. They unlocked the card and put on a travel notice for the day.

That was the closest I came to having a problem using a credit card on the road.
Holy Crap! Yes. I would have been compelled to explain that I had somehow been brainwashed and joined a cult against my better judgement only to realize the music is terrible and I cannot stand dancing in a circle for 4 hours.

The offer of 6 wives was very enticing. But then five of them turned out to be dudes in makeup and I was really not so sure about the last one because of her werewolf-like qualities.

Free all prairie dogs!!!! The tyranny and cruelty of the prairie dog vacuum must be stopped!!!! Sorry. I keep doing that now.

Last edited:

mzflorida

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

That is hysterical! I probably would have gone with the kidnapping thing if I were with my wife because she probably was taking me out to some faraway place that has the perfect end table. I call her a serial decorator...like a serial killer only a long slow death by visits to Home Goods and Sherwin WIlliams.

Makingitwork6999

Reaction score
Visit site
That is hysterical! I probably would have gone with the kidnapping thing if I were with my wife because she probably was taking me out to some faraway place that has the perfect end table. I call her a serial decorator...like a serial killer only a long slow death by visits to Home Goods and Sherwin WIlliams.
The problem with all that is... there are ways to track your location. Bank support personal are sometimes poorly trained, often young, and inexperienced, and can sometimes be brainwashed to hit the "Forward to police" button.

There are ways to get a squad car to your exact location in five minutes or less for personal distress. Not everyone drops whatever is in their hands when a police officer exits a vehicle. Funny is funny. But be careful.

Thank your officer for responding should something like this happen. It has happened to me because someone was an idiot.

Last edited:

mzflorida

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The problem with all that is... there are ways to track your location. Bank support personal are sometimes poorly trained, often young, and inexperienced, and can sometimes be brainwashed to hit the "Forward to police" button.

There are ways to get a squad car to your exact location in five minutes or less for personal distress. Not everyone drops whatever is in their hands when a police officer exits a vehicle. Funny is funny. But be careful.

Thank your officer for responding should something like this happen. It has happened to me because someone was an idiot.
I would never do that, and it was meant only as a lead into my wife joke. I hope that everyone understands that. And you are right; I have responded to many calls where an unknowing citizen was duped by their buddies.

Makingitwork6999

Reaction score
Visit site
You clearly have a deep understanding of the intricacies and technicalities of the magical wonderful world of phone support.

And I must admit, I enjoyed typing out some of this stuff very much. It is kinda off putting to some people that I can type as fast as I can think.

What really scorches my potatoes is auto grammar correct. It totally blows my jokes apart sometimes.

Thank you! You are an awesome bud!!! I hope someone does not invent auto political correct. I would never be the same guy.

People get to know me and say I must be some kind of pervert to use "6999" as much as I do. The reality is, it is the basis for my magnetic racing number. It is much easier to buy a box of sixes and turn one upside down. If one blows off the vehicle, I simply stick another six on. That way, I only need to work with one simple symbol with magnetic numbers. Need a shorter number? Take one off. Somebody took my number? Take the other one off. Simple eh?

Last edited:

Lomunchi

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Also note: whenever you travel overseas and intend to use your card: call the number on the back of the card and tell them. It's stupid but they'll put a note in your identity not to shut down your account just because you purchased dinner in Italy.

Floowid

Reaction score
Visit site
I just completed a 1400 mile round trip from Salt Lake City to Palm Springs California and back. I used my credit/debit card to fuel up multiple times per day. I only saw this happen once at a Pilot station in Mesquite Nevada on the way home. I inserted my card and it was declined - said "Please see cashier." I stood there confused for a minute but as I was walking in to talk to the guy at the counter I got a text from my credit union. It said that a charge of $151 was attempted at Pilot service station in Mesquite NV, reply YES to confirm the charge, reply NO if this is not a charge you initiated. I replied NO and walked back to my bike at the pump. Only then did I see a dingy almost unreadable notice on the pump that said all credit/debit purchases would be charged $150 and held for 3 days.

I got all my gear back on and rode to the next exit to the Sinclair station who got my business and my money. Pilot stations will be avoided like the plague from now on.

Makingitwork6999

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow. I was only making up funny stories!! An honest pump! Wow. I have never seen that before. Must be some new local ordinance or something. Honesty in fuel pumping! Wow.

What is next?? I have seen ATMs that do clamp onto your card. And i have had a device spit my card at me.

I guess my funny phony story might actually come true after all.

But there you have it! A card declined… and then they sock it to you!!!

Another great post from an experienced member!!!!

Makingitwork6999

Reaction score
Visit site
Latest update. Another declined charge from a location too far out there to be mine. Then. A gas charge too large to be for my bike. $16.00. Too low for our car. Then $75 again. We as a family are no longer using our bank card for gas purchases. Things have gotten out of hand with the bank auto locking our card and sending suspicious charge texts.

We may stop using that card altogether.

670cc

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Mods
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I just completed a 1400 mile round trip from Salt Lake City to Palm Springs California and back. I used my credit/debit card to fuel up multiple times per day. I only saw this happen once at a Pilot station in Mesquite Nevada on the way home. I inserted my card and it was declined - said "Please see cashier." I stood there confused for a minute but as I was walking in to talk to the guy at the counter I got a text from my credit union. It said that a charge of $151 was attempted at Pilot service station in Mesquite NV, reply YES to confirm the charge, reply NO if this is not a charge you initiated. I replied NO and walked back to my bike at the pump. Only then did I see a dingy almost unreadable notice on the pump that said all credit/debit purchases would be charged $150 and held for 3 days.

I got all my gear back on and rode to the next exit to the Sinclair station who got my business and my money. Pilot stations will be avoided like the plague from now on.
After the gas purchase, the $151 will be removed, and the actual purchase price will be on your account. As for the text you got, this is an example of the system working just as it should. The fraud protection flagged the card swipe as suspicious, and gave you an immediate opportunity to confirm or deny if it was you actually using the card. I’d say the fraud system then really broke down when it allowed you to buy gas at Sinclair after you had just indicated that you had not made a purchase attempt at Pilot.

I have never had a problem with charges from Pilot/FlyingJ, and I use them a lot because I get a discount on gas there. The 3 day hold must be just talk because I’ve not seen the hold, if used, last more than a few minutes on the times I checked it. But, I can understand if you’d no longer want to shop there.

Some credit cards pay back 4-5% on fuel purchases, so it can be financially beneficial to buy gas with such a credit card.