• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Valve adjustment

When I adjusted my valves I was never able to really nail down which cylinder is #1. From the above post it says cylinder #1 is same side as the clutch lever.
correct...it is the left cylinder when sitting on the bike....(right cylinder if looking at it from the front wheel).

What kind of clearances and at what mileage are you finding during adjustment? I suspect exhaust valves?

I came across this while adding an extra brake light to my Givi top case. While looking at the wire diagram I realized that a person can determine cylinder #1 and #2 by looking at the wire color for the injectors & coil packs - assuming it is not a reference to the FIRING order vs cylinder #.

Note: if you are adjusting the valves you actually don't need to know cylinder #1 vs #2 because when you bring the crank to the adjustment position TDC then which ever cylinder's intake & exhaust valves are loose (fully closed) then they are ready to be adjusted.

I pulled this quote below from the "official" forum instructions and added a picture that I had originally taken. I didn't know whether the '1' was Cylinder 1 or the firing order but now I see it makes sense it is Cylinder #1.
There are marks on the flywheel inside there that will show up and say "1/T" or 2/T" (some say 2/S or 1/S -- the 1 or 2 is what's important). In either case, there will be a flat and straight very obvious LINE below the numbers (the number is telling you what cylinder you're lining up). You line that line up with the CENTER of the notch on the right.

Attachments

• Wire Colors Injector 1 & 2, coils 1 &2 p4-4.jpg
    Wire Colors Injector 1 & 2, coils 1 &2 p4-4.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 10b_Cylinder 1 TDC Note 1 and T.jpg
    10b_Cylinder 1 TDC Note 1 and T.jpg
    722.6 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Back