• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Vibrates and is a bit sluggish around 2000-2500 rpm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn. We will be calling each Nazis in a few posts. I first replied to the OP and mentioned lugging so I bear some responsibility for this. The DCT in D mode does indeed change up incredibly quickly and it ”feels” like the engine is lugging at times, but as others have said, I don’t believe it is damaging the engine. The NC engine in both forms is very robust. Honda are not stupid either. It just takes the rider to adjust. It’s a great bike and engine. Even my ancient VFR DCT box while very clunky at times was still a great innovation back in 2010.

...I first replied to the OP and mentioned lugging so I bear some responsibility for this. ...
Don't feel bad. This discussion of lugging is quite old and has also not been recognized as a problem previously. The event itself lasts a few seconds during acceleration, and only in DCT D mode. That's why most people think it won't hurt the engine. And so it is in fact, because the owners learn quickly. Honda chose this alternative because it wanted to show off its economical low fuel consumption. Most owners, however, choose the middle way, downshifting if necessary, avoiding lugging the engine.
But I, as a mechanic, do not agree with the statement that this process that occurs when the engine is running is harmless. Tap the hammer on one spot once in a while - you won't see any damage. Do this for a long period of time and check the results if you have time.
I know examples of vehicles with DCT that this problem does not occur because of the smart ECM software.

Well, I am not a mechanic or engineer and will certainly accept that "I" may be ignorant, however, I would think the guys at Honda who designed the NC750 DCT, WERE engineers and probably some pretty smart ones, familiar with mechanical science and physics, and I doubt the engineers at Honda designed a system that would damage itself under normal operation. I could be wrong, but I'm trusting that the Honda engineers knew what they were doing.

Well, I am not a mechanic or engineer and will certainly accept that "I" may be ignorant, however, I would think the guys at Honda who designed the NC750 DCT, WERE engineers and probably some pretty smart ones, familiar with mechanical science and physics, and I doubt the engineers at Honda designed a system that would damage itself under normal operation. I could be wrong, but I'm trusting that the Honda engineers knew what they were doing.
Agreed. And, if the Honda engineers had failed in their design, by now after 11 full years of production, we’d be seeing NC engines damaged/failed from so-called lugging. So far, no examples.

...will certainly accept that "I" may be ignorant, ...Honda designed a system that would damage itself under normal operation. ...
If you freely accept that you are ignorant, your correct answer should be: "I don't know." No buts.
But you can't stop yourself and insinuate that it was said here that: "Honda designed a system that would damage itself under normal operation". Complete lying nonsense. No comment needed.

Well, let’s just settle this and move on. I believe that if someone says without proof, if you do this, then X could happen, it‘s maybe food for thought but carries little weight. If someone says they performed or witnessed an action, and here is proof of the actual result of that action, then that deserves some attention. If you cannot demonstrate a real life cause-and-effect example of damage on a real NC series engine, then we close the topic.

By the way, the OP simply wrote that the NC vibrates and is a bit sluggish around 2000-2500 RPM. I think assuming that characteristic, from such a general description, is lugging that’s causing damage is a bit of a stretch.

Again, show us an actual example of a lugging-damaged NC series engine (as was asked in post #17), or we’ll need to wrap up here.

My apologies to the OP for us getting off on a tangent.

...If you cannot demonstrate a real life cause-and-effect example of damage on a real NC series engine, then we close the topic.
Well, just for show, "kick below the belt". "Show us the proof".
Of course, who would decide to sacrifice his motorcycle for testing, for example on a dynamometer, in order to unnecessarily prove a technical fact. Have you heard of the term: thought experiment, if you have enough technical knowledge?
I agree to close this discussion. Completely pointless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back