• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Wabdr..2014 ????

Nortwestrider

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm looking for NCXer's that want to do the Washington Backcountry Discovery Route With me in early/mid July 2014.I know this is a year away but it will take some time to get bikes,bodies and $$ together for this trip.It,s about 600 miles of mostly unpaved roads and 2 track and should take about a week.I plan on camping most of it and a hotel/motel a few nights maybe.If you are not familiar with the WABDR you can check it out on YOUTUBE.I have done about 1/3 of the route on a DL1000 so the X should do fine.

That is a bucket list ride for me but I cant make it next year.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

Probably a week,so we can see some of the cool stuff and not blast thru.It's 600 miles but some is paved,so 6-7 days should be good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thanks for the invitation! I'd love to go and will try to plan accordingly. Right now everything is in turmoil...I'm moving to Santa Monica (CA) in two weeks and STILL trying to make up my feeble mind re which NCX (6 v DCT) to buy.

Your signature line indicates that you have a 6 speed (?). Do you have any experience with a DCT? Since a ride like this is probably the type of "adventure" riding I'd like to do would you care to offer an educated guess as to how the DCT would perform on the WABDR?

No experience with the DCT.If it " free wheels " when you let off the throttle it might be a handfull on the down hills.
I'm old also so not as fast on dirt as I use to be.In the old days this would have been a 2-3 day ride but falling hurts too much now.!!!.

Last edited:
Thanks for the invitation! I'd love to go and will try to plan accordingly. Right now everything is in turmoil...I'm moving to Santa Monica (CA) in two weeks and STILL trying to make up my feeble mind re which NCX (6 v DCT) to buy.

Your signature line indicates that you have a 6 speed (?). Do you have any experience with a DCT? Since a ride like this is probably the type of "adventure" riding I'd like to do would you care to offer an educated guess as to how the DCT would perform on the WABDR?
I hate automatics, so take this with a grain of salt.
Two things to consider: in manual mode, will the bike eventually decide you're an idiot and shift itself (I have had a car do this in manual mode)? And will first or second gear provide enough engine braking to 'hold' you on downhill stretches (again I can only compare on 4 wheels, but my truck with its original 5sp transmission was great at this, after the rebuild was decent, and my work van with its auto in 1st or 2nd is useless).
I would say if you really intend to do off roading, get the manual. But I fully admit bias.

The DCT is not the auto your van had. 1st & 2nd gear have same engine braking as manual. Brains of system will override manual mode for downshift to prevent engine stall but will not up shift unless rider hits trigger for it. It will not allow a downshift that over revs the engine.

They're both six speeds....

NWR - What kind of mileage have you gotten with your knobbies, and how are they on the freeway? It's a bit of a ride to get to the Bridge of the Gods for me. And what kind of grip do they have for somewhat spirited street riding? Would probably revisit the coast on the way home, so nothing too crazy, just light curves.

I'm at almost 7,000 miles on my front TKC and rear K60 and both are at about 50%.They work good on pavement,I have not found the limits yet and did plenty of twisties.I'm not a aggressive rider but I have never felt unsure about this tire combo.

:cool:
I am planning on coming. I rode sections of the north half with my XR650L and see no problem with the X.
I will have wore out my rear TKC and mounted the K60 by then. Hand guards and skid plate done. I will hold July open on my schedule. Let me know what I can do to help.
Jon

:cool:
I am planning on coming. I rode sections of the north half with my XR650L and see no problem with the X.
I will have wore out my rear TKC and mounted the K60 by then. Hand guards and skid plate done. I will hold July open on my schedule. Let me know what I can do to help.
Jon

Thanks,I will let you know..

I'm useing Trackside adjustable hand gaurds.
zy6a3u5u.jpg

resupequ.jpg

2ajehyda.jpg

Last edited:
Back