• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Water dripping from middle of tailpipe on start up.

K.E. Bear

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello, I got a NC750X two days ago. I noticed this afternoon when I started it while on the kickstand that water was dripping out of a seam in the middle of the tailpipe - i.e., not out the end and dripping down. Is this just condensation sitting in the pipe overnight. The bike is garaged and it is in the 60s here.

Happens to cars too, but they lack a drain, for the most part ( danger of CO poisoning). Bikes often have a drain to get rid of corrosive combustion byproducts and H2O, before it harms the ( fairly expensive) exhaust.

It's not condensation. Water is a significant product of the combustion of gasoline. The reason it's liquid at first, but then goes away is that the exhaust system heats up and it stays in gas form clear through until it exits the tailpipe.

It's not condensation. Water is a significant product of the combustion of gasoline. The reason it's liquid at first, but then goes away is that the exhaust system heats up and it stays in gas form clear through until it exits the tailpipe.
Actually, it is condensation.....the H2O condenses as it hits the cold exhaust, after exiting the combustion chamber as a vapor. You are correct, though, as the exhaust warms up, it gets all the way through the exhaust in vapor form. You can often see the same thing in cars right after they start, the water dripping out of the tailpipe.

I see your point, but it is specifically and explicitly a product of combustion.

Back