• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question Water temperature guage

Wedders

Reaction score
Visit site
I want to install a water temperature gauge but wonder if there is a tapping on the engine or coolant system. I think that most gauges use an M10 sensor, does anyone know if there is one available and where?
Thanks

Most install sensors in one of the radiator hoses. Many different units are available from different outlets. I suspect a lot of them come from the same factories.
Seems like a lot of work to monitor something which rarely is a problem, and already has a warning light.

I’m all in favor of more instruments to monitor the motorcycle engine’s operation. I love gadgets that tell me what is happening with the machine. However, I’ve been on this forum for about 8.5 years, and to the best of my recollection, no one has reported an NC700X cooling system failure other than radiator damage from an impact, or some slowly dripping coolant from the water pump seal.

The water pump is driven directly from the camshaft with no belts or gears involved, which is a seemingly reliable design meant to reduce the amount of moving parts in the engine.

Last edited:
I’m all in favor of more instruments to monitor the motorcycle engine’s operation. I love gadgets that tell me what is happening with the machine. However, I’ve been on this forum for about 8.5 years, and to the best of my recollection, no one has reported an NC700X cooling system failure other than radiator damage from an impact, or some slowly dripping coolant from the water pump seal.

The water pump is driven directly from the camshaft with no belts or gears involved, which is a seemingly reliable design meant to reduce the amount of moving parts in the engine.
Thanks for that. The reason for the gauge is, I have not had the bike long and been locked down for most of it. Whenever I’ve used the bike the fan hasn’t come on. I’ve even left it ticking over in the garage with the same result. Don’t want it overheating if we ever get a summer.

hanks for that. The reason for the gauge is, I have not had the bike long and been locked down for most of it. Whe
I have noticed this too- compared to my ST1300, the fan n ever seems to run. When I did a valve adjust, I did let it run after refilling the coolant, and it DID run then. Usually, upon opening the garage door, and entering the garage, my ST fan is running pretty quickly. The NC doesn't seem to run nearly as hot.

I had a Honda Helix that ran the same way....it had a Temperature Gauge, and normally stayed on 2 bars...at 4 bars, the fan came on. It rarely ever got to 3 bars, never mind 4. I did check the thermostat on it, but it was fine.

Could it be that the NC7xx series is so understressed that it just does not get very hot?

Seems like a lot of work to monitor something which rarely is a problem, and already has a warning light.
I don’t think you would be saying that if you are stuck in the middle of nowhere with a boiling engine and no phone signal...

Thanks for that. The reason for the gauge is, I have not had the bike long and been locked down for most of it. Whenever I’ve used the bike the fan hasn’t come on. I’ve even left it ticking over in the garage with the same result. Don’t want it overheating if we ever get a summer.
Again, I understand the desire to know what the bike is doing and try to prevent potential problems. In regards to the fan, I don’t recall my bike’s radiator fan coming on at all over the last 8 years. I may have tested it once by forcing it on, but in normal operation, the way I operate the motorcycle, the fan is simply not needed.

You could test the fan operation, and if it works as designed, then go out and worry less, ride more.

In 70,000 miles of use I can't recall a single instance of even knowing the cooling fan was on even during extensive periods of idling in hot weather. I live in a semi tropical climate. I've had other bikes where the fan cycles often and you hear and/or feel it cycle. Not so with this bike.

Again, I understand the desire to know what the bike is doing and try to prevent potential problems. In regards to the fan, I don’t recall my bike’s radiator fan coming on at all over the last 8 years. I may have tested it once by forcing it on, but in normal operation, the way I operate the motorcycle, the fan simply not needed.

You could test the fan operation, and if it works as designed, then go out and worry less, ride more.
yep, in the almost 8 years of owning mine, I dont recall ever hearing/seeing the fan come on...It has never overheated and I have ridden it in 100'F temps...now, my C50 Boulevard,,,I get off it to open the garage door and it cycles on/off.

Haven't put in a temp gauge yet, and don't think I will, but if I did it would probably be more for knowing when the engine had warmed up, than when it was overheating.

I've had the fan come on during very hot days in the summer (90°'s F), but never when out riding. It would come on just after turning off the bike when parking it back at home. (The fan can come on with the ignition switched 'off').

Back