What’s a K1600GTL like?

MZ5

Reaction score
Visit site
I’m looking for a motorcycle my wife would be more comfortable on than the NC. I’m pretty sure she’d be comfy on a Goldwing. I’m generally not satisfied with the ergos on the ones I’ve sat on in showrooms. A used K16 is no more, maybe less, than a GW.

What are they like on the road, especially for the passenger? We don’t super-slab for long miles. Some slab to get to interesting roads is our mix. What’s maintenance like on them? A half-day-long job to get to valves or spark plugs? Do the shims need changed much? Electrical issues?

We sat on an R1200RT this week, and neither of us thought much of it. Feels remarkably similar to the NC to me, in terms of knee and hip bend. She didn’t hate but didn’t like her seat or seat-peg-backrest relationship much. Maybe that bike had a low seat, IDK. I was surprised by it (but not in a good way).

Anybody had a K16?

FWIW, I have absolutely zero interest in a bike that needs the dealer for any routine maintenance, so I’d appreciate knowing that about them.

Bulitt

Reaction score
Visit site
There are lots of Goldwing VS K16 comparisons if you google it. I won’t mention any other forums here but just do a search and you can spend the day reading..... I have owned a bunch of beemers over the years and had good luck with them but when it came time for a two up machine, you can see the choice I made to the left.....

mzflorida

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Never ridden a K1600 but I think they are gorgeous. In my opinion, which is a little emotional and a little informed, the new GW is the best touring bike ever. I have put on a few hundred on it.

Griff

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I managed to do all the required maintenance on my former GL1800. Those external cylinder heads facilitate that. Not sure that it would be as easy on a K16. Also if going for used, make sure that gearbox mods have been done. I think there was a recall.