• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What are your cold weather riding necessities? Anti Fog that works for me.

turbodieseli4i6

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
What are the things that help you in your cold rides?
What a pain it is when its cold and I have to raise my shield to clear the fog off my screen. Here are a couple of things that help with my winter riding.

http://www.defogitworks.com/
This is the best anti fog that I have found.

This minimizes my warm breath off my shield and keeps my chin and face warm.
http://www.amazon.com/N-Ferno-6827-Neoprene-Balaclava-2-Peice/dp/B0091CC2C2
I have several Balaclavas and find that I use this one the most.(without the cap on)

What do you find helps your cold weather riding?

Edit did buy a http://www.revzilla.com/product/fir...kw={keyword}&gclid=CJ6BvK6E4LMCFQinPAodS2wAAw from the advise o9f bemmerphile, and it looks like it will be a good addition to my cold weather gear.

Last edited:
A Pinlock insert solved fogging problems. Gerbing electric jacket liner for temps under 50 ( I know, I am a wuss ). Freeze Out neck gaiter.

+1 on the Firstgear Thermo suit. i somehow found a black/red version off ebay last year. it works great. with a base layer fleece and the suit, i was comfy at 30F.

Shoei Neotec with Pin lock insert, Freeze Out Balaclava and neck gator, First Gear thermo one piece suit with a flannel shirt plus jeans, thick socks with some cheap Bilt touring boots, light Tour Master winter gloves, Oxford heated grips, and some Hippo Hands. I'm good down to the low 30's without feeling like I should have bought heated gear. I am commuting 900 miles a week right now in 30's up to the high 60's. I also have the Honda wind deflectors and touring wind screen.

Another +1 on the First Gear Thermo one piece suit. Underneath the one piece suit, I'm wearing street clothes over a good set of base layers on the way to work. I also keep a turtleneck in the side case for extra warmth on my way home at midnight. I use this Seirus Neofleece Comfort Masque - Free Shipping at REI.com underneath my balaclava and try to breathe through it to reduce the amount of shield fogging. It also keeps my nose fairly warm in 30 degree temps. Neoprene glove liners under First Gear winter riding gloves. At the above stated temps, the fingers start getting numb after about 30 minutes on the commute home. Also, my lady friend works at a hospital and brought home a defogging solution called 'Fred', which the surgeons use on their face masks during surgeries. I used it one time and it seemed to make a difference. I haven't used it again as it smells like it has alcohol in it and am not sure how it will effect the shield. As a side note, I wonder how this thing would work Talus ColdAvenger Pro Face Mask - Free Shipping at REI.com

Here in freezing-cold southern Arizona (HA! :D ), I'm wearing a Teiz Lombard one-piece suit over my street clothes. It has pretty good armor, excepting that there's none at the hips, and has separate insulated and waterproof removable liners. The insulated liner is sufficient into the mid to high 40s. It hasn't been any cooler than that since I've had this bike. The heated grips are plenty good on low with my normal gloves (HighVelocityGear CE-tested gloves, so they have an inner Kevlar liner; they're thick) even without any hand guards.

Last winter, on the CBR, I wore a sweatshirt and then a windbreaker (with a super-high collar I could stuff up into my helmet) over my clothes but under my perforated leather jacket. My Spidi Hurricane pants over my regular pants were quite chilly once it got into the high 30s, but putting in the rain/wind liner helped. Ironically, my vented/perforated Xpd (Spidi) boots don't let my feet get cold.

I'll pick up a neck gaiter or something generally similar pretty soon, but the Teiz 1-piece has a good high collar so I don't need it as badly now as when I only had my almost-neck-less leather jacket. If it got COLD here like it did in Idaho, I'd have to do something different (heated), I think.

I adjust depending on the temperature and bought riding gear to allow for layering and use all year long. My work commute is 45-60 minutes each way, so staying comfortable is a necessity.

My jacket is the Olympia GT Air Transition (in don't hit me yellow). The inner liner can be used by itself as a wind-breaker or you can add the quilted liner and go down into the upper 30s with it. The pants are Fieldsheer Mercury 2.

When the temperature dips down to around 40 or lower, I'll add the REI neck gaiter. As it gets colder, I'll pull that up to where it covers the nose and tuck it over the ears under my helmet. It adds a lot of comfort. At a certain point, the arms start getting cold and I'll grab a lightweight long sleeve pull over shift to add some insulation to the arms.

When the temperature gets below 30F, I'll put on the TourMaster rain jacket. It traps warm air in and makes it very comfortable into the mid to lower 20s. The loose weave in the riding gear can act like a wool shirt to trap warm air if you heat it overnight inside the house, then trap that warm air inside the rain jacket. Likewise, when the temperature gets down to freezing or below, I'll generally don the rain pants for the same reason.

Gloves...I like the Olympia Cold Throttle gloves. When the temperature dips into the 30s, I'll add some inexpensive REI glove liners. When the temperature dips below freezing, I'll change the liners to the Seirus Therma-Lux Heat Pocket liners. They have metal threads woven into them and a pocket on the back of the hand to slip a chemical thermal heat pack into. If you put the thermal pack into a zip lock bag and get the air out, the combustion stops and they can be used again several times. I've been using the same box from Costco for the past 4-5 years and I'm only a little way into it.

The secret is to find out where the cold air seeps into and block that off to preserve your body heat. Also, to pre-heat the gear by storing it overnight in the house. I keep toying with the idea of buying electric gear, but can't find a reason to do it. This works for me on commutes that sometimes extend out to 90 minutes if someone decides to turn I-5 into a parking lot with a fender bender.

Chris

Shoei Neotec with Pin lock insert, Freeze Out Balaclava and neck gator, First Gear thermo one piece suit with a flannel shirt plus jeans, thick socks with some cheap Bilt touring boots, light Tour Master winter gloves, Oxford heated grips, and some Hippo Hands. I'm good down to the low 30's without feeling like I should have bought heated gear. I am commuting 900 miles a week right now in 30's up to the high 60's. I also have the Honda wind deflectors and touring wind screen.

Wow! 900 miles a week is some serious commuting! I just added a Cal-sci medium windshield, I think will help a bunch in blocking the cold. Its been too warm to wear my
First Gear thermo one piece suit. I just got it a few days ago but it looks like I can handle any temps now. ( with my Gerbing jacket and gloves.)

I really like the Olympia everything. However it is supplemented by some Army issue silk underwear, tops and bottoms.
I anti fog by breathing less and I warm the fingers by releasing the death grip that cold seems to force and letting the warm blood flow.
I really want to get a balaclava that will resist the cold air up the nose jet stream, but keeping at the speed limit seems to help with that too.

pinlock is brilliant. for warmth I have just completed my WarmnSafe 3-piece. Jacket, pants and socks. Complete with dual remote controller which is velcro'd above the speedo.. Yes this is expensive, but it means you don't need to soend so much on your outer clothes becuase they don't have to be good insulators
Mike

What are the things that help you in your cold rides?
What a pain it is when its cold and I have to raise my shield to clear the fog off my screen. Here are a couple of things that help with my winter riding.
http://www.amazon.com/Clarity-Defog-concentrate-microfiber-cloth/dp/3AJGJ3A/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
This is the best anti fog that I have found.

This link isn't working anymore.. what was this?

Also do you keep your pinlock in all the time? I've always used the fogg city stick on inserts but am considering a pin lock since my fogg city just wore out.

Last edited:
A Pinlock insert solved fogging problems. Gerbing electric jacket liner for temps under 50 ( I know, I am a wuss ). Freeze Out neck gaiter.

I go with the pinlock and Gebring jacket I also use their heated gloves

This link isn't working anymore.. what was this?

Also do you keep your pinlock in all the time? I've always used the fogg city stick on inserts but am considering a pin lock since my fogg city just wore out.

Defog It - AntiFog Solution-Prevent fog on glasses, goggles, faceshields & other optics.

The defog it works, but will have a halo effect when night riding. I get no fogging after getting my pinlock.

Yes, I use my Pinlock all the time. There can be big temp swings during the 12 hours I'm at work.

Last edited:
I use a Franck Thomas winter jacket and waterproof/warm Bering pants. Helmet with a pin lock, but after some time it doesn't work very well.

Leather boots, silk socks and warm soles, winter gloves or ordinary gloves with silk gloves. The silk material works very well.

For middle or long trips I use ski underwear, pants and top.

My main problem is the neck (a little bit of atrhrosis) so is use a turttleneck, yesterday I bought a balaclava but it's not realy practical for short trips.

B.R.

Move next to the ocean and you don't have to worry about cold weather! Sorry, that's not much help. Actually, since I only started riding last October I am only slowly acquiring my riding ensemble. Can't afford too much at one time. But I do appreciate reading all the helpful information on this thread. Thanks.

This morning it was in the low 50s° F with a cold north wind gusting up to 40 mph, so it was my fully loaded Olympia Airglide 3 Mesh Tech Jacket and thermal underwear pants -- nice and toasty! By the way, this is record cold weather for Houston. Temps in the low 90s° F more the norm in early May than today's expected high of 66° F.

This morning it was in the low 50s° F with a cold north wind gusting up to 40 mph, so it was my fully loaded Olympia Airglide 3 Mesh Tech Jacket and thermal underwear pants -- nice and toasty! By the way, this is record cold weather for Houston. Temps in the low 90s° F more the norm in early May than today's expected high of 66° F.

It was snowing here around 3:00 am this morning!

Back