• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What did you do to/with your other motorcycle/scooter/trike today?

Turned over 64K on my CB 1100 on today's ride

aNofh3Ah.jpg

I have been so wanting one of those for a couple of years now. Been eye'ing the 300L and the 300 Rally. I just can't get my mind wrapped around that price tag just yet!!
:{P

I had the 250 prior to the 300. The L model is mostly viewed as a low priced trail bike. However they are good bikes and I got on fine with my 250 after ditching a 690KTM for it. If purchasing a 300 tho, budget for a shock replacement also. The basic model YSS will do the job nicely.

I have been so wanting one of those for a couple of years now. Been eye'ing the 300L and the 300 Rally. I just can't get my mind wrapped around that price tag just yet!!
:{P
The 300 is an improvement in several ways over the 250. However, realize that the displacement increase is only 37cc, or 15%. I have a 250L Rally which I really enjoy, but I decided not to replace it with a 300 until the engine grows to 350 or there are more significant improvements. Although the new engine size increase is all in the stroke, which is good, I would have hoped for more displacement increase, say 30%. The point I want to make is that if the cost of the 300 seems high to you, there should be some lower priced 250s on the used bike market that could work well.

I was reluctant to change at first from my 250L. It was well set up and I was happy with it. It is indeed a good bike. I also found it difficult to believe that 37cc could make a difference. Then I saw the various reports. I have learned in general to take many reports with a grain of salt. However I saw some further reports from sources that I respect, and eventually I was persuaded to make the change. In short, at least from an L point of view, the 300 is a significantly better motorcycle. The changes are several, and together they have (imho) succeeded. The motor is torquier with better overall gearing. It can now hold its top gear respectably on slopes where a drop to 5th would have been necessary on the 250. I too would have preferred a 350 but that also would have meant more vibes and probably more weight.

I was reluctant to change at first from my 250L. It was well set up and I was happy with it. It is indeed a good bike. I also found it difficult to believe that 37cc could make a difference. Then I saw the various reports. I have learned in general to take many reports with a grain of salt. However I saw some further reports from sources that I respect, and eventually I was persuaded to make the change. In short, at least from an L point of view, the 300 is a significantly better motorcycle. The changes are several, and together they have (imho) succeeded. The motor is torquier with better overall gearing. It can now hold its top gear respectably on slopes where a drop to 5th would have been necessary on the 250. I too would have preferred a 350 but that also would have meant more vibes and probably more weight.
Good to hear that the 300 is much improved. While the 300 is a step in the right direction, I still think Honda is using the wrong engine in both 250 and 300, as it is still a short stroke engine that needs more stroke and better bottom end.

For my 250 Rally, I have added or modified:
Oxford heated grips with power relay
Shorter sidestand to fix lean problem
Sidestand foot enlarger
Rear suspension lowering links (Rally was taller than the L)
Luggage rack with custom top case
Reflective rim stripes
Speedometer error corrector
SAE charging port
Mating fairing 12 volt accessory plug with Garmin GPS power supply
GPS bracket and a mobile phone holder
Wheel/chain servicing stands.
Added additional flashing brake light.
Heavy bar end weights to reduce vibration

Upgrading to the 300 is very appealing but I guess I just don’t feel like moving all those modifications over to a new 300 Rally. I’d rather go ride. When I called to price one, it was full MSRP plus freight, which is not what my dealer ever did in the past. Now is the wrong time to buy new.

When I called to price one, it was full MSRP plus freight, which is not what my dealer ever did in the past. Now is the wrong time to buy new.
Be thankful there wasn't an add-on administrative or dealer's procurement fee for no other reason than plain old greed.

Good to hear that the 300 is much improved. While the 300 is a step in the right direction, I still think Honda is using the wrong engine in both 250 and 300, as it is still a short stroke engine that needs more stroke and better bottom end.

For my 250 Rally, I have added or modified:
Oxford heated grips with power relay
Shorter sidestand to fix lean problem
Sidestand foot enlarger
Rear suspension lowering links (Rally was taller than the L)
Luggage rack with custom top case
Reflective rim stripes
Speedometer error corrector
SAE charging port
Mating fairing 12 volt accessory plug with Garmin GPS power supply
GPS bracket and a mobile phone holder
Wheel/chain servicing stands.
Added additional flashing brake light.
Heavy bar end weights to reduce vibration

Upgrading to the 300 is very appealing but I guess I just don’t feel like moving all those modifications over to a new 300 Rally. I’d rather go ride. When I called to price one, it was full MSRP plus freight, which is not what my dealer ever did in the past. Now is the wrong time to buy new.

Yep, I can understand why You are reluctant to change with all those accessories, especially as they may not fit the newer bike. I'm not sure if they will ever do a 350 though or have You some insight that You might be willing to share ?

Yep, I can understand why You are reluctant to change with all those accessories, especially as they may not fit the newer bike. I'm not sure if they will ever do a 350 though or have You some insight that You might be willing to share ?
No. But, displacement creep is the name of the game in keeping old motorcycle models alive. We’ll see what happens in a few years.

$5,250 plus TTL is the best i've found for a CRF300L Rally. It is a good price imho, i just cant swing it right now when i'm already paying for two households(ex). :{

It was now the fourth straight day of great riding weather, so I took the CRF250 dual sport out for a long spin. Since it’s what it does best, I rode as many dirt and gravel roads as I could find in my local area. A669B878-2AA8-4ABF-B77E-F4972F21241B.jpeg82458EBB-4788-41DC-8CD6-13893BF7DB87.jpeg8655E441-B54C-447B-A96B-C71E089A2B55.jpeg

Last edited:
I keep looking at those 300 rallys,,,but nope...In florida, I have a klx 250 sf which does just fine....the problem, being an SF, it is the street model with street sized wheels/tires.....and no one makes a dual sport tire for its wheels size....I could go 10mm up and 10 mm width, but there is not much room under there on the little bike...so I stick with the street tire size...

Today I rode my Honda CRF250L Rally, and then my Zero DSR. I always ride these two in that order, for a reason. Now, the CRF has good ergonomics and excellent suspension for rough roads, and the seat is more comfortable than it looks. The power band is narrow, but I enjoy all the required shifting. It’s a fun ride. Then I get on the Zero. It has a few minor downsides, such as the suspension is stiffer, more (smooth) road oriented, and the seat is OK but a little less comfortable than it looks. But the stark contrast comes in the drive train. The Zero’s electric motor and it’s direct (via belt) drive to the rear wheel is so modern and refined, so smooth and quiet, yet so connected and so responsive, it makes the 2017 CRF seem hardly any better than the first motorcycle (Yamaha DT125) I bought in 1975. The ease with which the Zero smoothly delivers power makes the noisy, shaky single cylinder gas powered motorcycle seem so crude by comparison.

I own a variety of internal combustion motorcycles that will easily meet my needs for many years, but I can’t see that I will ever buy another pure ICE motorcycle again. I expect electric motorcycles to see range improvements, and I hope even perhaps to see a plug-in hybrid motorcycle in the future. Until then, I just can’t get interested in the current offerings from the Japanese big four. I feel like they just keep rehashing old designs over and over (or regressing). The introduction of the NC was a bright moment, but that was 10 years ago.

Back