• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What GPS do you use ?

Tom Tom.

4f9de607381d180cff2f7cfda17a30fb_zpsfe6ec7ac.jpg

I also prefer to have my phone in my pocket, if I end up injured in a ditch somewhere, I want my phone with me, not attached to the bike that I'm no longer with.

Touch wood.

Do many folks on here create or plan routes on their PC before transferring to GPS. In this instance I am talking about having the Garmin Mapsource or Basecamp facility on PC . I have to create routes in this manner as I run some trail events, and many of the tracks we use are not on GPS software. In such instances it would be impossible, or take a huge amount of time to create a single route on the GPS direct . Doing it on the PC with a mouse is much easier.

Co-pilot is very good for route planning. You just enter the way points and hit calculate. You can select from 3 route choices or just drag the route on the screen to adjust it. Then save the route for future use.

I'm doing a scatter rally next weekend and I've planned 2 different routes just on my phone (Samsung Galaxy S3).

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have put my iphone on the car dash and had the overheat issue but never on the bike. I've use the 4, 4S and 5 now on the bike for many miles and never had an issue. I do use a white Lifeproof case so maybe that helps.

When I connect my phone to the bike it becomes my GPS and with the Sena I can easily ignore incoming calls. I also think of it as a safety item in case I need to make an emergency call.

You've perked my interest, just a little :) I can only find a lifeproof bicycle mount. Is this the one your using?

Admittedly, I have been looking for a good reason to get (convince my wife I need) the new Sena 20S. A new iPhone 5s/Sena 20s does sound quite nice. Ahh, who am I kidding... it sounds freakin awesome! hehehehe

I also prefer to have my phone in my pocket, if I end up injured in a ditch somewhere, I want my phone with me, not attached to the bike that I'm no longer with.

Touch wood.
I use my I-phone at times and it is either in my pocket or on the charger in the frunk. I have a Sena blue tooth so as long as my helmet is on I can hit the button and make a call. If my helmet came off in the crash I probably am not in condition to make a call anyway.

Co-pilot is very good for route planning. You just enter the way points and hit calculate. You can select from 3 route choices or just drag the route on the screen to adjust it. Then save the route for future use.

I'm doing a scatter rally next weekend and I've planned 2 different routes just on my phone (Samsung Galaxy S3).

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
How do you enter the waypoints? Off of mapping software like Basecamp or you limited to using the actual device you will use? Can you plan a route with 50+ waypoints without having to poke on a iPhone screen? I plan routes sometimes that use small roads with 50+ waypoints over 300 or 400 miles. Do you seriously do that on a cell phone? I can't grasp that scale.

My main concern with this concept is that if you use your phone for all these different functions, the day may come (hopefully NOT) when you actually NEED to use it AS A PHONE in a potential life or death situation, and guess what, your battery is almost dead. And now maybe so are you or someone else. Give me the stand alone any day.
Just Sayin'

The phone has a charge cable attached and powered through the 12V acc plug.

Tom Tom.

Touch wood.

The phone is always connected to me with the bluetooth through the Sena so you can make a call with voice activation. If an injury prevented you from not being able to get to your phone that's stuffed in your pocket then having it with you is pointless.

I can attest to the toughness of the Sena. I had it mounted to the left side of my helmet and had a violent left low side. I wrecked my Shoei RF1100 and broke a rib but the Sena survived the bounce off the pavement.

I have to mount the Phone this week from my FZ1 to the NC and I'll post some pics but yes you use the Lifeproof bike mount then a Ram mount to a handle bar clamp bolt.

How do you enter the waypoints? Off of mapping software like Basecamp or you limited to using the actual device you will use? Can you plan a route with 50+ waypoints without having to poke on a iPhone screen? I plan routes sometimes that use small roads with 50+ waypoints over 300 or 400 miles. Do you seriously do that on a cell phone? I can't grasp that scale.

I think I tried about every GPS app out there and Garmin and TomTom seem to have it right. Pricey apps but they work very well.

I do it all on the phone but not that many waypoints - I've got 12 covering 200 miles. I do each waypoint as an address, so I'm not selecting them from a map directly. Afterwards, I drag the route on the map if the software has chosen something I don't like. I guess it is small on a phone (although the Samsung is a bigger screen than an iPhone :p) but I don't do such huge routes.

I've not tried using some other software but it may be possible...I guess it depends on file formats that get generated and that Co-Pilot needs...

I do it all on the phone but not that many waypoints - I've got 12 covering 200 miles. I do each waypoint as an address, so I'm not selecting them from a map directly. Afterwards, I drag the route on the map if the software has chosen something I don't like. I guess it is small on a phone (although the Samsung is a bigger screen than an iPhone :p) but I don't do such huge routes.

I've not tried using some other software but it may be possible...I guess it depends on file formats that get generated and that Co-Pilot needs...
For sport touring that's no leap forward from a dedicated GPS but I can see how it would work in urban areas for existing designated addresses. If there is no address where you need a waypoint, say to mark a turn or prevent the routing program from choosing a faster or more direct route, you would have a cumbersome time of creating a custom route for later use.

Last edited:

You can use this. CoPilot Live v8 for Laptop Downside is it cost $99 but the Android app is cheap so overall your still paying a lot less than purcasing a $300 GPSr.

You'll have to take the saved route file from the laptop and transfer it to your phone and place it in the correct folder. It is possible. I believe the max number of waypoints is 150 but don't quote me on that.

My Samsung Galaxy S4 has a large screen (5" and S5 is bigger) so really not much different than the GPSr in my jeep. Although waterproofing is an issue. Ziplock bag usually does the trick.

A dedicated GPSr would be better but I do not make enough long trips so CoPilot works good for me when I'm in places without cell service.

I use an ancient Magellan Roadmate 2200T that I bought for less than 50 bucks about 10 years ago. The maps are way out of date but that is ok as I use it mainly for the compass feature and it has an 8 hour battery that still holds a charge. I have a newer TomTom with lifetime updates I use in the car but I am too cheap to replace my trusty old Roadmate!

I just came back from a 400 mile trip on which I used copilot app running on my android phone.
The cool thing with copilot is that you can customize the route optimizer for different modes of transport. For the motorcycle I tell it to strongly avoid freeways, avoid multi lane but favor primary and secondary roads. For me it worked a treat, it also allows you to choose from a few alternate routes. I then took the best one, which was really a nice route and tweaked it a little to hit a few rustic roads. Took a few minutes. You can then save it if it's a route you use more than once.
It has data caching so even though I was in the boonies, my route was covered. I missed a few turns but it got me back on track... All the while preserving my desire to stick to the back roads.
Dragging the maps to browse can be a little sluggish... That's the one downside I saw (Google maps excels in that regard)
All in all I give a big thumbs up to copilot.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk

I just use the navigation on my phone. With my headphones, I can listen to my pandora, and the turn-by-turn directions come through when a turn is coming up…. Done…

There really is not much need for GPS systems anymore….They were cool years ago, but now every phone has that function. And you can connect to a bluetooth helmet or use headphones, and keep the phone in pocket…. MAybe if you absolutely Need a map… But the turn-by-turn voice direction is just fine for me.

Best GPS?

I am looking for information and recomendations as to the best GPS to purchase? Any help will be appreciated!

The Garmin Montana is favored by many on the ADV forum. I just bought a rebuilt Zuni 660 LM which I'm still learning. There are times I wish I'd spent the bucks on a Montana. My previous GPS was an old Garmin 62 with top I maps. I liked the older technology in its simplicity.

Knowing what kind of riding you want to do helps a lot as well. Since I dont do trails and a ton of off-road and gravel, I haven't worried about a stand-alone GPS. I use my phone, LifeProof Case and a RAM mount. As for the GPS App, I use Navigon, it wasnt the cheapest, but the combination of Motorcycle, No Highways, and Scenic and I keep off the beaten path, but still on pavement.

Back