• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What GPS do you use ?

There are pros and cons to them all. For 9 years I have used a Zumo 550. It is still running well. This year I found it a little lacking in speed and precision when negotiating some very complex road junctions on mainland Europe. When I returned I purchased a Zumo 590. It has much better reaction response when one is offroute and it also has some other very good features such as lane assist and "up ahead" showing petrol stations and other facilities imminent. However there is a lot of stuff available on the 590 that is no use to me whatsoever and this makes negotiating its menus very complex. Furthermore the screen is not as easy to read. Imho the simplicity and ease of use of the old 550 has been dispensed with and as such that is the downside. I still run the 550 and will continue to do so for as long as it survives. The 550 is also much better at running offroad routes that have been transferred from PC.

I use my phone (Galaxy s4) and the TomTom "Go" software.
My backup is a TomTom GO 50... that way the software looks the same on both.

The GO 50 blue tooths to the phone for real time traffic and may be had used on Amazon for about $60.

Merged thread started 1-Feb-2106 with an existing, similar one.

I normally use a Garmin 62stc. I think that's the designation. Has a camera and other useless crap. However, after driving around Tasmania, New Zealand and a good chunk of mainland Australia the last two months using nothing but my Google Nexus 5c phone I'm sold on this thing. I just have to figure out a waterproof housing. Pelican? I had my Garmin with me with downunder maps, but after the batteries died I relied on the Nexus exclusively. Could have bought more batteries, but never saw the need. The Nexus operates without cell tower connections. Also to my amazement the Project Fi connection allowed me to send unlimited free texts from Oz and NZ. Calls back to the USA were only $.20 a minute. Worked everywhere I've been even the west end of Tasmania.

I am looking for information and recomendations as to the best GPS to purchase? Any help will be appreciated!
That would be the Garmin model Zumo 590 LM...a dedicated motorcycle GPS which means weather-proof, nice sized bright screen (especially in sunlight) big icons that are glove friendly so your not stabbing at the screen trying to enter data. Obviously it is bluetooth capable and have I no problems connecting to my iPhone or my headset. I also have the matching Garmin TPMs so I can keep an eye on tire pressure while underway, which is a great safety feature.

Most impressive to me is the ultra-quick computer that it has..Much faster recalculating a new route after a missed turn than any other GPS that I have used (all have been Garmins)....You have no idea how important that is until you missed a turn in say Boston, NYC, Atlanta or some other place with crazy traffic. By the time other GPSs have completed their recalculations you are 500 yards pass the point you were supposed to turn. Then the cycle repeats ;-)

Like most Garmin products it is very robust and oozes quality (to me anyway). It ships with just about everything you need to attach it to your motorcycle. I did change from the plastic RAM mount and went with an uber Touratech aluminum mount which enabled me to mount it dead center in my line of sight.

IMG_5757.jpg

IMG_5749.jpg

Last edited:
I used the Garmin Montana lockable cradle mount and electrical cradle setup from Tourtech for my 8,500 mile 22 state trip last summer. It served me and my friend really well. It's not that most advanced GPS, but it is extremely rugged, weatherproof and easy to read and operated. I have the Palmer products windshield adjustor and use it with the OEM tall wind screen. I purchased the Palmer products GPS accessory bar and attached the cradle to that. It sits a couple of inches above the speedometer. It never moved once during my trip. One of the great features of the cradle is its lockable. So when we went into a diner for lunch or took a rest somewhere off the bike I didn't have to worry about it being stolen. I wired the electrical cradle it comes with to the ignition switch so you do not have to worry about it staying on after you turn off the bike and draining the battery. It's a little pricey, but I highly recommend this entire package to any rider if they either have or are thinking of getting the Palmer products windshield adjustor which I also highly recommend.image.jpg

I like having the lockable cradle, but with the frunk it is not much trouble taking it off and locking it up.

My favorite GPS is no longer made. But it sits in a vibration isolated lockable cradle.

WIN_20160210_110610 (2).JPG

I used the Garmin Montana lockable cradle mount and electrical cradle setup from Tourtech for my 8,500 mile 22 state trip last summer. It served me and my friend really well. It's not that most advanced GPS, but it is extremely rugged, weatherproof and easy to read and operated. I have the Palmer products windshield adjustor and use it with the OEM tall wind screen. I purchased the Palmer products GPS accessory bar and attached the cradle to that. It sits a couple of inches above the speedometer. It never moved once during my trip. One of the great features of the cradle is its lockable. So when we went into a diner for lunch or took a rest somewhere off the bike I didn't have to worry about it being stolen. I wired the electrical cradle it comes with to the ignition switch so you do not have to worry about it staying on after you turn off the bike and draining the battery. It's a little pricey, but I highly recommend this entire package to any rider if they either have or are thinking of getting the Palmer products windshield adjustor which I also highly recommend.View attachment 28425
I have the Palmer bracket and mounting bar already, I agree both are very useful!

To SergeantChuck - you said "I've recently downloaded a couple apps with offline maps which was talked about in another thread. "
I have a motorola GPS that is awful (sloooow, maps out of date, routing sux) and now use my Samsung Note 2. BUT - when the cell signal drops (I live in rural NC) I am screwed. How do you download maps for use when the cell/data signal is lost? Thanks!!

Jimbo, didn't know there was another NC down that way. Took mine into Croatan NF a little last summer.

Hey there DRDubb. I don't see many NC drivers in these parts - thanks for reaching out. I'm not a hardcore rider (work/boats/planes/family/fishing/wimmen take up much of my time), but I really would like to connect with some like-minded adventure riders and have some fun. My 2012 NC is a newish acquisition and I am getting to know it (personalizing it now). Suits me pretty well for intended use (e.g. running around, light touring, a little two-up, 2-3 day camping, Blue Ridge run?), but as a (former) enduro rider it ain't muchuva dirt bike!! Plus my old self (60) ain't got the strength to muscle a 500# pig in tough stuff. Dirt roads is prolly all I could handle!
Reach out by PM if you wanna engage. Jimbo

Jimbo, some of us are gathering at the Kickstand lodge in Stecoah, nc the weekend of May 19. I've been doing this for 7 years now and really enjoy the trip. There is a thread around here somewhere about returning to the land of the Dragon. I,have a mobile home down at Cedar Point and I'll pop you a message next time I take the bike down there.

Jimbo, some of us are gathering at the Kickstand lodge in Stecoah, nc the weekend of May 19. I've been doing this for 7 years now and really enjoy the trip. There is a thread around here somewhere about returning to the land of the Dragon. I,have a mobile home down at Cedar Point and I'll pop you a message next time I take the bike down there.

I lived in Asheville 10 years ago - know the area. Wasn't riding then, so need to go and explore! Cedar Point 50 miles from here - let's go! My current GF has a place on Emerald Isle. Croatan Natl Forest is gorgeous - only ridden the fringes in my Tahoe

"You can download sections of Google maps so out can be used offline."

I do not know how to do this - guide me a little? This would be a big help. Thanks!
Using my iPad mini when I have wifi, I just snap screenshots of my overall route and then major intersections along the way, then I have them for backup to review if needed.

Ray

Back