• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What grips are best for distance riding?

Progrip 714. Best grip I've ever used and I've installed a pair on the last 4 bikes I've had. They install well over grip heaters. I also wear gloves every time I ride.

I will keep these in mind if for some reason the grip puppies don't pan out for me.. thanks for the recommendation

I have noticed that several American members have mentioned that they wear gloves in way that makes it sound as though it's not the norm over there. Is this so?
In the UK I would guess that 99.99 of riders wear gloves for protection both in the case of a mishap and agaist the weather.

I have noticed that several American members have mentioned that they wear gloves in way that makes it sound as though it's not the norm over there. Is this so?
In the UK I would guess that 99.99 of riders wear gloves for protection both in the case of a mishap and agaist the weather.

that is what it sound like to me as well Rocker.
always wear protective gear no matter how short the distance may be.
coming off 100 yards down the road has the same affect at 100 miles to.

For the most part I have noticed that the more miles a person rides, the more likely they are to wear proper protective gear. There are some exceptions to this rule, but I find that it is true the majority of the time. I think this is true pretty much world-wide, but I haven't travelled that much to have any personal experience to back that up.

Have you ever seen an Iron butt rider without the proper gear on? I haven't... although there probably is at least one out there who is the exception.

I feel Naked without gloves, jacket, helmet and at least long pants if not riding pants. Sometimes I will wear street shoes instead of boots, even though it feels wrong if I am going to work and I don't want to walk around in boots all day or take a pair of shoes along with me to change into. I do feel I am in the wrong when I do that though.

In the "midwest" USA where I live it's very common to see a cruiser rider wearing no gloves, no helmet (when allowed by law), no jacket, and no proper boots. It's also common for them to get seriously injured or die when they crash. Proper motorcycling pants are rare, with denim jeans being most common

I did an informal survey a couple years ago, taking notes on about the first 110 riders I saw on a nice, warm day. Maybe half of them wore the minimum safety gear, and maybe only one fourth were fully properly dressed.

Sport bike riders can be seen either foolishly under dressed, or in full leathers. Riders most likely to be seen in proper gear are usually sport touring or adventure riders.

It's sad, I know.

Greg

Last edited:
Same down here. Dirt bike riders and travelers are mostly the only ones in full gear. Cruisers are either in t-shirts/shorts/jeans or chaps and leather vest with lots of fringe flapping in the breeze. Sport bike riders generally consider a jacket and helmet as wearing full gear. Dealerships will have a small selection of jackets for sale but only a few pair of pants and the selection for ladies is few to none. First thing I noticed in the pictures and videos from across the pond is all the people in full gear.

just type in Google motor cycle accident and click on image.
you'll soon see what a mess gravel/road rash can do.

Last edited:
In the "midwest" USA where I live it's very common to see a cruiser rider wearing no gloves, no helmet (when allowed by law), no jacket, and no proper boots. It's also common for them to get seriously injured or die when they crash. Proper motorcycling pants are rare, with denim jeans being most common

I did an informal survey a couple years ago, taking notes on about the first 110 riders I saw on a nice, warm day. Maybe half of them wore the minimum safety gear, and maybe only one fourth were fully properly dressed.

Sport bike riders can be seen either foolishly under dressed, or in full leathers. Riders most likely to be seen in proper gear are usually sport touring or adventure riders.

It's sad, I know.

Greg

Sadly it's the same here in Utah where we see lots of riders wearing no protective gear at all. Oddly it seems most prevalent among the older riders of HD's who often ride in tee shirt, leather vest, jeans and maybe boots, no helmet, just sunglasses. I guess it's an attitude and a 'look'.

But then there's also the 18 or 19 year olds 'dressed for the beach' riding a liter sport bike. Not so common as the HD 'rebels', but they're out there too.

Last edited:
Have a set sitting on the counter trimmed and ready to go. Just waiting on the Symtec hand warmers. Hopefully they come in this week sometime.

I like it!! I also like the price. You people are always amazing me on your ingenuity for fixing problems and tweaking your bikes. I am on the way to Alpine Cycle (bicycles) right now. I will re-tape my Giant as well.
weird to quote myself like that, but here goes.

I went home for lunch hour and decided to wrap the NC700x grips in gray bicycle bar tape. I did it in a hurry, so the spacing and neatness of this would be and will be better when I do it again on the weekend. I started the wrap on the part closest to the bike and moved out toward the bar ends where I finished it off with black electrical tape.
I thought I might want black tape for this, but I like the gray!
Here's the photo:
View attachment 3687

Wow! Is all I can say. I like the feel of it. It's a very comfortable diameter, with the tape, for my hands. It's smooth and spongy to the touch... and feels like my bicycle road bike. $12 from the bike store... I will do this from now on!

I like it!! I also like the price. You people are always amazing me on your ingenuity for fixing problems and tweaking your bikes. I am on the way to Alpine Cycle (bicycles) right now. I will re-tape my Giant as well.

After riding to vegas and back (520 miles) with bicycle tape, I note that it would be better to tape motorcycle bars the way you do bicycle bars. Start at the far end and work up to the end closer to the bike. That way, the black tape that holds the wrap in place ends up on the inside end of the handle, NOT the outside. I put a lot of palm pressure on the outside end, and it messed up the black tape. Wrap the grip the opposite way shown in the photo.

Personally I find that thin grips are best for lots of hand action (shifting/braking) around town or trail. For long distance highway touring then fat grips seem to work better for me. My 'other bike', a touring cruiser, has really really fat grips - double the NC. The NC thin grips, however, works perfect for my riding around town, what I use the bike for.

If I was to go highway long distance, I'd do the bike tape trip or grip puppies as discussed above, or something similar ( many slip-on foam grips out there ), since they can be easily removed. I would not try to equip this bike with thick grips like a cruiser.

Anyone have a recommendation on where to purchase the Grip Puppies? If that is allowed?

Back