• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question What has improved with DCT model years ?

• Thread starter Deleted member 1183
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1183

My 750 is a 2017 Euro model (X-Adv). My DCT works well most of the time except for jerkiness with 1st gear at ultra low speeds where first gear engages occasionally.

My question for those in the know. What has improved about DCT from 2017 on ? I plan to keep my X-Adv long term, and am currently upgrading the suspension, but if it transpired that there had been significant improvements with DCT over the past 4 years, then I might consider upgrading to a new one.

My 750 is a 2017 Euro model (X-Adv). My DCT works well most of the time except for jerkiness with 1st gear at ultra low speeds where first gear engages occasionally.

My question for those in the know. What has improved about DCT from 2017 on ? I plan to keep my X-Adv long term, and am currently upgrading the suspension, but if it transpired that there had been significant improvements with DCT over the past 4 years, then I might consider upgrading to a new one.
I'm not sure if anything improved. In 2012 the NC offered the 2nd generation DCT. In 2016 the NC offered the 3rd generation DCT and I believe that has been used, at least to 2020. On the new 2021 models they may have introduced a 4th generation of the DCT. The changes have been, from what I can tell, software changes, combined with some added functionality and integrated with multiple Sport modes, multiple Traction Control modes.

I'd try and ride one if you can and evaluate shifting performance and not rely on Honda's claims of improved DCT performance. The addition of additional sport modes and traction control are peripheral changes that may or may not affect actual upshift/downshift smoothness and it's accuracy when determining shift points.

I think my 2021 shifts little more smoothly than the one I test rode several years ago, particularly in downshifting. In the morning when I first take off first to second up and downshifts can be kinda clunky but it smooths out as I ride. On my 2021 there is one standard mode, one sport, one rain and one programmable user mode in automatic and the manual mode. The user is programmable for power, engine braking and traction control. I have not messed with it, perfectly happy to ride around in standard with the occasional downshift using the paddle when I want a little extra boost in power.

Thanks for the replies so far. The vibe I am getting from them is that if there is an improvement it is more marginal than significant. Yes, ideally a spin on a 21 NC would be the surefire way of checking. However getting my hands on one over here is not going to be easy, especially when the importers don't even have a demo.

I think my 2021 shifts little more smoothly than the one I test rode several years ago, particularly in downshifting. In the morning when I first take off first to second up and downshifts can be kinda clunky but it smooths out as I ride. On my 2021 there is one standard mode, one sport, one rain and one programmable user mode in automatic and the manual mode. The user is programmable for power, engine braking and traction control. I have not messed with it, perfectly happy to ride around in standard with the occasional downshift using the paddle when I want a little extra boost in power.
What, you don't want to make a custom riding mode?
That is probably the first thing I'd do if I had a '21 model.
On my '20 I find the D mode a dog, but great for fuel economy.
S1 is a bit too aggressive and revs a bit high before upshifting.
So I only use S1 when it's hilly or when I'll be needing quicker response, such as riding in heavier traffic with lots of changing of speed.
Of course I can and do use the paddle shifters.
But I would really like it if the engine and transmission could read my mind, and customizing a mode on my NC would be the only way to accomplish that.

The current user mode will not read your mind. I think there are some more expensive bikes
that have tilt and inclination sensors. These would more than likely hold a gear instead of shifting
causing disruption to the suspension.

Adding a video camera (autos) could warn you about speeding, lane drifting or blind spot.

IMO, if I go that deep I would get a convertible sports car .... lol .

I can truly understand some wanting a more sporting ride, and using Sport mode. I can truly understand someone wanting to have complete control of the shift points and using manual mode, I can truly understand bigbird's thinking of having the trans read your mind and doing exactly what you want it to, but to be honest at 71, having ridden for 56 years, having ridden nearly daily, rain, shine, blistering hot or snow, having ridden liter sized plus bikes for the last 44 years, all over the country, now all I want to do is go on my daily ride around home (with the very occasional trip) and let the darn thing do everything for me. I'm not in a hurry, I'm not racing anyone, all I am doing is riding around and D mode (although I'll agree it is a little doggy coming from a 145 hp motorcycle down to one that has 58), still I think it's doing everything I want it to do at this point in my life. Haven't made the final determination yet though. Might be a year before I can decide if it's doing it for me or not.

I can truly understand some wanting a more sporting ride, and using Sport mode. I can truly understand someone wanting to have complete control of the shift points and using manual mode, I can truly understand bigbird's thinking of having the trans read your mind and doing exactly what you want it to, but to be honest at 71, having ridden for 56 years, having ridden nearly daily, rain, shine, blistering hot or snow, having ridden liter sized plus bikes for the last 44 years, all over the country, now all I want to do is go on my daily ride around home (with the very occasional trip) and let the darn thing do everything for me. I'm not in a hurry, I'm not racing anyone, all I am doing is riding around and D mode (although I'll agree it is a little doggy coming from a 145 hp motorcycle down to one that has 58), still I think it's doing everything I want it to do at this point in my life. Haven't made the final determination yet though. Might be a year before I can decide if it's doing it for me or not.
I think it takes a thousand miles or more of riding any bike to really get to learn how to get the best out of it and even then if you keep it for 10 thousand miles you might be riding the bike differently. DCT probably more so due to the obvious difference. When I looked back at the posts concerning my NCs I made after the first long ride, to one year, etc. I saw that I was still evolving how I rode the bike certain conditions.

I'll repeat a story as the risk of boring those that already heard it but I have a friend that bought a Africa Twin DCT mostly on my recommendation. After a few thousand miles he told me that he did not blame me but he thought he made a mistake and wished that he had bought the manual. It was after 8000 miles in all sorts of on and off road riding that he told me that he would buy the DCT again. About a year later the bike was totaled in a crash and before he healed enough to even ride he bought another Africa Twin DCT.

Ferret, We are in the same"Club71", & I was born in Cleveland, But grew up in South Fla.
Two weeks ago I had a moment of temporary insanity, I traded my 2020 NC750X DCT on a 2021 CB1000X. So I went from 54 HP to 143HP, same weight bike. I couldn't get comfortable with the shifting & the position of the shifter & foot pegs. I almost dropped the bike, & I decided I would rather take a financial loss than loose my life so I traded the bike back for my NC750. Couldn't be happier. I have to learn to quit making appointments with my mind that my body can't keep. By the way, when I picked the old bike up the dealer had put the bike in Sport Mode, which I never did, it was always in D Mode, so I switched it back. Had the bike out for a 80 mile run to Jupiter Beach, sun shining, cool breeze, 72. Lesson Learned $$$. My last 6 bikes have all been automatic, should have known better.

f

Ferret, We are in the same"Club71", & I was born in Cleveland, But grew up in South Fla.
Two weeks ago I had a moment of temporary insanity, I traded my 2020 NC750X DCT on a 2021 CB1000X. So I went from 54 HP to 143HP, same weight bike. I couldn't get comfortable with the shifting & the position of the shifter & foot pegs. I almost dropped the bike, & I decided I would rather take a financial loss than loose my life so I traded the bike back for my NC750. Couldn't be happier. I have to learn to quit making appointments with my mind that my body can't keep. By the way, when I picked the old bike up the dealer had put the bike in Sport Mode, which I never did, it was always in D Mode, so I switched it back. Had the bike out for a 80 mile run to Jupiter Beach, sun shining, cool breeze, 72. Lesson Learned $$$. My last 6 bikes have all been automatic, should have known better.

f
Life is too short to ride the wrong motorcycle especially one that might make it even shorter than need be.

Back