• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question What is a big guy to do for lower body protection?

US 421 Retread

Reaction score
Visit site
I just started riding a couple of months ago after a thirty year absence. Back then most of us didn't even think about protective gear beyond the mandatory helmet and eye protection. Since then the illusion of immortality has faded and with a bilateral knee replacement, I really want lower body protection.

I have a 49 inch waist. I have been to every cycle shop in the area, searched online, and contacted numerous online retailers regarding armored riding pants. Everybody so far says they do not exist.

I actually bought an inexpensive pair of 5XL pants that the sizing chart claimed had a 49 inch waist. The waist snaps lack 8 inches of snapping closed. Otherwise, they fit great except for being an inch or two short in the inseam. I'm even able to wear MX style knee and shin guards under them(a bit tight and hampering). I made a waist extension with velcro to hold the pants on, but I am not confident they would stay in place in a slide.

Any suggestions?

I looked at them, and even though they are way out of my reach, I checked out the sizing chart. Turns out a size 50 actually has a 44 inch waist. That is the kind of thing that has been driving me nuts the last couple of months.

It does look like using their sizing tool form might get a size 54 custom made to fit me.

Here is what a XXXXXL from LeatherUp.com with a 49 in waist looks like on a 49 inch waist:

Attachments

• Resized_20220426_171047(1).jpeg
    Resized_20220426_171047(1).jpeg
    164.2 KB · Views: 15
I just started riding a couple of months ago after a thirty year absence. Back then most of us didn't even think about protective gear beyond the mandatory helmet and eye protection. Since then the illusion of immortality has faded and with a bilateral knee replacement, I really want lower body protection.

I have a 49 inch waist. I have been to every cycle shop in the area, searched online, and contacted numerous online retailers regarding armored riding pants. Everybody so far says they do not exist.

I actually bought an inexpensive pair of 5XL pants that the sizing chart claimed had a 49 inch waist. The waist snaps lack 8 inches of snapping closed. Otherwise, they fit great except for being an inch or two short in the inseam. I'm even able to wear MX style knee and shin guards under them(a bit tight and hampering). I made a waist extension with velcro to hold the pants on, but I am not confident they would stay in place in a slide.

Any suggestions?
Motoport will sew up some highly-protective gear to your individual measurements. Great fit, really good protection, but also spendy and not particularly stylish (if that's an issue).

I went thru the same fitting problems you're having now. Eventually bit the bullet for the Motoports and am now on my 11th (?) year with the same gear - no complaints.

Motoport will sew up some highly-protective gear to your individual measurements. Great fit, really good protection, but also spendy and not particularly stylish (if that's an issue).

I went thru the same fitting problems you're having now. Eventually bit the bullet for the Motoports and am now on my 11th (?) year with the same gear - no complaints.
Came here to suggest this

Reactions: MZ5
Motoport also offers Cordura gear, in addition to their Kevlar blends. I do not recall whether they offer made-to-measure on the Cordura, but it might be worth dropping them a line if thats of interest.

Motoport also offers Cordura gear, in addition to their Kevlar blends. I do not recall whether they offer made-to-measure on the Cordura, but it might be worth dropping them a line if thats of interest.
They do. The only gear that is not made to measure are their high viz vests

Reactions: MZ5

I never dreamed I would spend that kind of money on clothing, but after looking at their website, it could happen.

Eventually.

Probably should make sure this latest case of the riding bug is as serious as it seems first. I've put 700 miles on my CRF250 in the last 2 months and 1000 on my NC750X in the last four weeks, so maybe it's incurable.

Thanks for the info.

Bohn sells armor that fits under your regular pants they claim will fit you. About $200 US

I wear their stuff. It’s comfortable and nice
The idea of underlayment armor makes a lot of sense to me. The gear I have now is all black. With the Bohn gear I can dress for weather conditions and basically any way I want instead of always being the man in black baking in the sun.

My wife and I also have Bohn armor, and we like it. I wear my Bohn pants' armor much less now that I have Motoport outer pants, but it's nice and it allows a person more flexibility in what to choose for an outer garment.

Ohh side note on Bohn. Their current offering includes shin armor but that doesn’t play well with tall boots. If you have taller adv type boots they will be introducing new armor that is knee only.

I went to Bohn Body Armor today and bought an all season pant and an all season shirt, upgraded the back protector to CE2. They both fit great. I stuffed my old gear in the tail box and wore the Bohn gear home. The difference in comfort was unbelievable.

Great people and great products. NOW I know what a big guy is to do for protection. They also told me they are going to be marketing big and tall gear soon.

Thanks to all of you who responded. This forum is a great resource.

Congrats on finding some gear. I have a motorcycle riding buddy that used to be big. He finally through diet and excercise went from 450 down to 200 and bought his first real motorcycle gear. He was so excited.

Since I read that most of your gear is black, might I respectfully advise you to pick up a Hi Viz vest ( and maybe a white helmet) to make yourself a little more conspicuous to drivers. Better to avoid testing out that new Bohn armor if you can help it.

Congrats on finding some gear. I have a motorcycle riding buddy that used to be big. He finally through diet and excercise went from 450 down to 200 and bought his first real motorcycle gear. He was so excited.

Since I read that most of your gear is black, might I respectfully advise you to pick up a Hi Viz vest ( and maybe a white helmet) to make yourself a little more conspicuous to drivers. Better to avoid testing out that new Bohn armor if you can help it.
I recommend the Motoport high viz vest. I have 2. They don’t disappoint

Back