• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What is the best bike you have ever owned ?

• Thread starter Deleted member 1183
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1183

There are conditions to this question. By "best Bike" I mean a great all rounder. A bike that You went long distance touring on with or without pillion and luggage. A bike that you went trail riding on and not just on hardpack trails. A bike that You went scratching on with your mates. In short a bike that did it all.

I was thinking about this today and I asked my Wife for Her opinion without in any prompting her choice. Her answer was exactly what I also had in mind. For now I will hold my own answer, so lets hear from Y'all. Perhaps this has been posted previously but sure we might as well have an update if that is ok ?

Honda ST1100 - had 3 of them in a row. I call my NC700, my "ST1100 Mini-Me". (Note: Honda ruined the line with the ST1300...yuck! Bought, rode for 3 months and sold it in disgust)

The big bike just got too heavy for me and rather than give up the style I like, I bought a NC, and built it out to match my favorite bike - works for me!

BMW F650GS, that bike was worn out when I traded it in. Of course, it was a BMW and was half worn out when I bought it. I took it everywhere and it did everything. It worked great when it ran and it turned me into a decent motorcycle mechanic. Although, after riding Japanese bikes, I'll never own another BMW.

Suzuki GS500E. Got it after high school and rode it through college and into marriage. Lots of memories of fun trips and dates!

Not near as seasoned as some of you, but the NC700x is the best bike I've ever owned...because it's only the second one! I had a Yamaha Virago 250 first. So, of course the NC leads the way for me. I love it and will keep it for a long time.

The bike that is your best bike, is the one that meets the needs at that current time for each individual. Mine is always by far the current bike I have a current need of......

38BE72E3-2A5E-4418-9CD0-E406C6CC28AE.jpg

Last edited:
I couldn’t answer because no bike can do it all. Bikes are specialized, so you need a fleet. However if I was forced to own only one, and that was going to be my best bike, it would be the GL1800. But going to one bike like that would mean the end to off road dirt riding. A runner up would be my old 1982 Suzuki GS850G.

Well, that is a difficult question to answer as 670cc posted. I too have had everything from lawn-mower engined mini bikes, dirt bikes, trials bikes, enduros, street cruisers, .25L, .75L & 1L sport bikes, even a KLR650 and GS1150ES. And i've ridden many more! However, I can tell you that today....by far..., if i could only have one bike then it is my 2012 NC700x. I truly enjoy riding this bike and the "Smiles Per Gallon".... is incredible! :{)
Bothell NC700x trip test riding Sams bike2.JPG

Last edited:
2008 drz 400

Ahh I forgot about the husky - 250 Husky cr that I raced in the late 70's. I loved that bike.

Last edited:
One pair of shoes, one screwdriver, only fork and no spoon, one shirt, one motorcycle?

If I had to choose then the ST1300.

Interesting mix of answers.

Well, mine, based on the criteria that I set out at the beginning of the thread, was/is the BMW R100GS. I purchased it new, and when I moved it on it had 138,000kms on the odometer. It never let me down, but it was not without its issues with gearbox bearing replacement and a worn drive shaft. It was ridden offroad as can be seen in the photo. My Wife and myself undertook long tours in Europe fully laden on it, and indeed it was well capable of hanging with the local superbikes on twisty roads. A truly great motorcycle and if they were not so expensive second hand I would have one again. My Wife totally concurred without the slightest prompting. I have only ever owned two BM's in my motorcycling career as I am not a fan of the brand for various reasons, but imho that model was exceptional.

The photo was taken by a friend in 94.

P1060447.jpg

Back