• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What kind of motorcycle do you have?

LanceK

Reaction score
Visit site
So when a non-motorcycle person finds out you have a motorcycle and they ask you: “What kind of motorcycle do you have?” How do you answer that?

I have yet to come up with a good answer. Sometimes I will show them a picture and then they usually think it’s a sport bike because it’s not a Harley and there are only two types of motorcycles, harleys and ninjas (I joke, but it’s kind of true).

Anyone come up with a good response?

I tell them it’s my baby BMW or 3/4 size beemer. For some reason everyone seems to get that.

If I have to expound on the type of Bike I’ll say it’s a commuter bike with off road pretentiousness

So when a non-motorcycle person finds out you have a motorcycle and they ask you: “What kind of motorcycle do you have?” How do you answer that?

I have yet to come up with a good answer. Sometimes I will show them a picture and then they usually think it’s a sport bike because it’s not a Harley and there are only two types of motorcycles, harleys and ninjas (I joke, but it’s kind of true).

Anyone come up with a good response?
If a non-motorcycle person asks what kind of motorcycle I have, I answer "it's a Honda".
What do they know?
To them, it's either a Harley-Davidson or it's not.
Like bigbird said, sometimes the answer they’re waiting for is either it’s a Harley or else they don’t care/know.

I might answer, it’s a UJM.

If the person is still interested, then
1) They are old enough to already know that UJM means Universal Japanese Motorcycle, or
2) They are actually interested, and you can explain that your Honda is a do-it-all mid-sized motorcycle, and
3) If they are still listening, you can say it is a Honda NC700X.
4) Tossing out “70 mpg” might keep their attention, depending on the type of people they are.

Reactions: MZ5
I always reply “ I own two touring bikes.” If someone asks what kind, I simply tell them I own Honda’s, similar to Gold Wings. Besides “ Hardly Ablesons”, Gold Wings seem to be the next recognizable brand/model.
I’m often asked , when wearing my ‘Stich, if I’m expecting rain, especially by those folks who aren’t ATGATT. Always amuses me.

I answer "which one?"
I was thinking that same thing. Which one are they asking about, my scooter, dual sport, one man all purpose, two-up touring, or the electric one?

I think the category for the NC is generally referred to as either "standard" or "UJM" (Universal Japanese Motorcycle).
I tend to elaborate a little and tell them it's halfway between a cruiser and a sportbike, since the average North American only knows of those two (street) bike categories.

I typically say between a commuter & an adventure bike. If they want to see a picture I always have to tell them it’s not a crotch-rocket. As said early, most people only know HD or Ninja….

there are only two types of motorcycles, harleys and ninjas (I joke, but it’s kind of true).
Haha. It is true! It was always easier answering that question back when I actually rode a Ninja250. Them: "Oh, it's a crotch rocket..." Me: "Well, it's a 250 and only makes like 25 horsepower, but, sure."

I think the category for the NC is generally referred to as either "standard" or "UJM" (Universal Japanese Motorcycle).
I also tend to think the NC is the "modern UJM". But with the beak, I think people tend to think it looks more ADV category. It's a little hard to define.

I tell people it is a "commuter bike", and show them the frunk and other storage.

Haha. It is true! It was always easier answering that question back when I actually rode a Ninja250. Them: "Oh, it's a crotch rocket..." Me: "Well, it's a 250 and only makes like 25 horsepower, but, sure."

I also tend to think the NC is the "modern UJM". But with the beak, I think people tend to think it looks more ADV category. It's a little hard to define.

I tell people it is a "commuter bike", and show them the frunk and other storage.
True, I'm referring specifically to my S model. The X is a little more "adventurey" but that is purely cosmetic in my mind.
I'd consider the X a "standard" motorcycle that's dressed as an adventure bike for Halloween :p

I'd consider the X a "standard" motorcycle that's dressed as an adventure bike for Halloween :p
Yes, I have the 'X'. And yep! In the same way that the old Ninja250 (I have a 1999 EX250-F model) was really a UJM standard, dressed in sport bike fairings :cool:

I could do without the beak. On the other hand, I LOVE how tall it is and how clearance there is, especially on the rear wheel. At 6'02" and 34" inseam I easily flat foot even with ahrm improper footwear such as tennis shoes. And the visibility over/around cars in traffic is great.

Just remember guys the “UJM” was call that for a reason-ALL of the big 4 were producing air cooled inline fours that were all VERY similar-hence “Universal Japanese Motorcycle”. Nothing quite like that these days -certainly nothing else similar in design or concept to the NC. Now we have twins, triples, and fours and range from naked standards, to sport bikes, adv’s and tourers (plus of course the cruisers)

Back