• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What MG8 / D on the dipstick means?

Afan

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
2013 NC700X DCT

20200616_115257_2.jpg

In my Service Manual doesn't say anything.

1592328797770.png

Also, yesterday I changed the oil and it looks like I put bit more oil then needed. It's "touching" the letter D. Is it ok to leave it or I should drain out a bit to make it inside the MG8 part?

Found this on the sister/brother forum:

:)

Honda assigns model designations and for the 2012-2020 NC700/750X it is MGS. 2001-2017 Goldwings carry model MCA.

Most parts that make up an NC will have a 5 digit part number then a dash, then MGS, another dash then a three digit part number revision or vendor supplier code completes the total part number. Some parts are universal to multiple motorcycles and the model designation is usually that of the first motorcycle model that used it.

The dipstick for a NC700X/750 DCT is part number 15650-MGS-D20 and 15650-MGS-D30 for a manual transmission bike.

I speculate the model designation is stamped on the dipstick to make it easy to make certain the correct dipstick is used.

Edit to address the over fill. Don't worry about it. Checking the oil is at best a somewhat imprecise endeavor.

Last edited:
Those letters on the dipstick are just a part number. Nothing special.

Typically it is not recommended to fill oil above the full mark. I would remove some oil and bring the level down.
Easiest way to remove oil would be to use an oil extractor and suck it out the dipstick hole.
The next way is to remove the drain plug and let some out and then quickly reinstall the drain plug. Catch the oil in a clean container In case you let too much out. Use it to top up the oil level to the full line.
Another way is to loosen the oil filter and let some oil drain out, then tighten the oil filter.

JT

Honda assigns model designations and for the 2012-2020 NC700/750X it is MGS. 2001-2017 Goldwings carry model MCA.

Most parts that make up an NC will have a 5 digit part number then a dash, then MGS, another dash then a three digit part number revision or vendor supplier code completes the total part number. Some parts are universal to multiple motorcycles and the model designation is usually that of the first motorcycle model that used it.

The dipstick for a NC700X/750 DCT is part number 15650-MGS-D20 and 15650-MGS-D30 for a manual transmission bike.

I speculate the model designation is stamped on the dipstick to make it easy to make certain the correct dipstick is used.

Edit to address the over fill. Don't worry about it. Checking the oil is at best a somewhat imprecise endeavor.

Thanks Dave.

:)

Those letters on the dipstick are just a part number. Nothing special.

Typically it is not recommended to fill oil above the full mark. I would remove some oil and bring the level down.
Easiest way to remove oil would be to use an oil extractor and suck it out the dipstick hole.
The next way is to remove the drain plug and let some out and then quickly reinstall the drain plug. Catch the oil in a clean container In case you let too much out. Use it to top up the oil level to the full line.
Another way is to loosen the oil filter and let some oil drain out, then tighten the oil filter.

JT

In general, you're right. I was thinking the same first.
But, then, as Dave said, whole measuring system is kind of "loose", so I'll just let it be. And be more careful next time ;)

Thanks for the response though.

Back