• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What mtorcycle did you use for your driving test?

I used the NC700x that I had just bought. I would say I had maybe 3 hours of practice on the farm before challenging the test to get my learners tag.

I was fully expecting a gravel parking lot obstacle course before deeming me fit to try a bike on the street, instead it was a full road test. It was the first time I had ridden in traffic and finished the 15 minute ride with only 2 demerit points due to not cancelling my signal promptly enough after turning. At the time I did not realize that you could just push in the indicator switch to cancel and would push it back toward the middle after shifting back up to second. Signalling was not something I practiced at home.

I'm glad I used the NC since it was a bike over 400cc which avoids any restrictions on the licence, and I found it pretty easy to handle.

Now with one riding season and 10,000 km under my belt I would still like to take the motorcycle safety course. It's not nessisary for licencing and I feel pretty safe, but I am sure there are things I don't realize I am doing wrong and we can all learn to do better.

Last edited:
Either the safety course, or the experienced rider course is a great idea for most riders. The slow speed handling will improve your confidence, they'll teach you emergency manoeuvres & braking, while curing some of the bad habits you may have picked up.

Either the safety course, or the experienced rider course is a great idea for most riders. The slow speed handling will improve your confidence, they'll teach you emergency manoeuvres & braking, while curing some of the bad habits you may have picked up.
I had ridden thousands of miles (without a license on friends and families motorcycles) before taking one of those CHP approved safety courses (counts as your behind the wheel test) and I would highly recommend taking the class

I used my Suzuki GS450TX. The day of my testing appointment, the clouds let loose and poured rain most of the day. I said the heck with it and drove the 20 miles to the testing site anyway. Of the 12 scheduled, only two of us showed up. We took the test in the middle of a downpour, and passed easily.
Oh to be 17 again :)

Deano

1989 - I used my 1987 CBR600 Honda Hurricane. I was petrified. The test used to be HARD. and like 3 guys with Harley's crashed right before me.

In 1970 took my Ca MC license on my 1966 Suzuki 250 scrambler and in 2013 took the Pa MSF on their supplied Honda 250 enduro scrambler dirt bike.

1982 Kawasaki GPZ550

0208.jpg

This one is much better condition than mine was in.

Honda CB125S 37 years ago. I haven't had to take one since and that test was pretty easy, just weave through a few cones, turn, accelerate to 15 mph, and stop.
maxresdefault.jpg

That bike had no tach and would do over 60 mph...but it was running over 12k rpms when it did, that's why I blew it up, twice.

A late 80’s Yamaha SR250 provided by the MSF safety course. Did the class and they do the skill and riding test at the end of the class.
07825e51950d0016b490e901a2b964fe.jpg

I remember it felt like a cruiser because I had a plated dirt bike at the time. Nice little bike I guess. As small and tame as that bike is, a lot of people dropped them or fell over while riding them during that weekend course. Good thing they took a course to learn how to ride before just hitting the road!

JT

Heh, i guess that makes me pretty old too! They just grandfathered me in when the licenses changed and it came time to add the MC endorsement in my state. Been riding on the road since 1980.
:{)

Back