• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What oil do you use

Status
Not open for further replies.

InfernoST

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all
I have a quick question regarding the oil as this will be the first change on my new machine. I'm having a hell of a time finding 10w30 motorcycle oil but 10w40 is fairly common and was going to pick up 4 quarts. What do you guys think and what do you use.

Oh boy. Be prepared to get 30 different oil answers and be no closer to deciding than you are now. Because oil threads notoriously get way out of hand, I'm tempted to close this thread right now, but seeing as you need help, we can let it run for a short while, a very short while.

Simply follow the oil recommendations shown in your owner's manual. Honda dealers and on line retailers sell Honda GN4 10w-30 by the quart or gallon. I have seen Castrol motorcycle 10w-30 oil for sale on Amazon. 10w-30 is not difficult to find.

9 or so years ago Honda was recommending 10w-30 or 10w-40 for the NC engine, in the service manual. Honda has since made a progression towards recommending 10w-30 only.

Oh boy. Be prepared to get 30 different oil answers and be no closer to deciding than you are now. Because oil threads notoriously get way out of hand, I'm tempted to close this thread right now, but seeing as you need help, we can let it run for a short while, a very short while.

Simply follow the oil recommendations shown in your owner's manual. Honda dealers and on line retailers sell Honda GN4 10w-30 by the quart or gallon. I have seen Castrol motorcycle 10w-30 oil for sale on Amazon. 10w-30 is not difficult to find.
I know I was hesitant starting this thread, oil threads are horrible and fully understand if you want to close it because they usually turn into pissing contests. Usually most bike manufacturers give you different options of viscosity based upon riding environment and conditions except Honda.

I know I was hesitant starting this thread, oil threads are horrible and fully understand if you want to close it because they usually turn into pissing contests. Usually most bike manufacturers give you different options of viscosity based upon riding environment and conditions except Honda.
You're right. I have early 21st century Honda manuals that have the old style ambient temperature charts that suggest various viscosities to match conditions. That is no longer the case with a late model NC. 10w-30 is the only recommendation given by Honda.

You're right. I have early 21st century Honda manuals that have the old style ambient temperature charts that suggest various viscosities to match conditions. That is no longer the case with a late model NC. 10w-30 is the only recommendation given by Honda.
Then this what I will stick with, on my way over to amazon

I use a 10W30 that is highly shear-resistant and acts more like Honda’s GN4 10W40 in use.

It’s pretty easy to find 10W30 for your bike (meaning JASO MA rated). Just go to a Honda m/c dealer.
(-:

It's only hard to find 10w30 motorcycle oil in auto parts stores, not in motorcycle shops. 10w30oil normally does not have the JASO MA or MB label that indicates compatibility with oil bathed wet clutches like most motorcycles use. Just look on the label certifications for the square box that has MA or MB in it.

If the round label on the oil container has the words Resource Conserving in it do not use that oil in your motorcycle. To get that specification the additive package has friction modifiers that are not compatible with oil bathed wet clutches. It can cause the clutch to slip and ruin it.

I only use the recommended Honda GN4 10W-30
It’s not that expensive and it’s easy to find.
Oil filters are another story. Honda’s filters are stupid expensive for what their job entails.

I use a 10W30 that is highly shear-resistant and acts more like Honda’s GN4 10W40 in use.

It’s pretty easy to find 10W30 for your bike (meaning JASO MA rated). Just go to a Honda m/c dealer.
(-:
I really hate buying supplies from the stealership, they don't smile and always forget the KY.

It's only hard to find 10w30 motorcycle oil in auto parts stores, not in motorcycle shops. 10w30oil normally does not have the JASO MA or MB label that indicates compatibility with oil bathed wet clutches like most motorcycles use. Just look on the label certifications for the square box that has MA or MB in it.

If the round label on the oil container has the words Resource Conserving in it do not use that oil in your motorcycle. To get that specification the additive package has friction modifiers that are not compatible with oil bathed wet clutches. It can cause the clutch to slip and ruin it.
I understand the certification part and am all for supporting my local dealers but not when they are charging 17 bucks a quart. Sorry but they can KMA

Not everyone will find a good local deal, but my dealer will sell me a gallon of GN4 for about $20 if I order and pay on their web site, use their discount code, and go pick it up in person. I’m happy with that deal. Search around and maybe you’ll find a source with reasonable pricing.

I understand the certification part and am all for supporting my local dealers but not when they are charging 17 bucks a quart. Sorry but they can KMA
If the local stealer pisses you off, a Google search will turn up many less expensive alternatives

Not everyone will find a good local deal, but my dealer will sell me a gallon of GN4 for about $20 if I order and pay on their web site, use their discount code, and go pick it up in person. I’m happy with that deal. Search around and maybe you’ll find a source with reasonable pricing.
I just went and ordered 2 gallons at 25 bucks a piece off of Amazon. I can live with that.

I get mine for about $23/gal from Rocky Mountain ATV & MC. I get a store credit kickbacks on stuff I buy there too

I usually just stick with whatever OEM oil shipped with the bike or is used by the brand. So I use the GN4 for Honda and Suzuki Ecstar for my Suzukis. It's easy and always works

is there a difference between motorcycle oil and car oil of the same viscosity? If so what are the differences?

Car engines do not generally share their lubricating oil with the transmission and the differences begin there. Motorcycles usually have their clutch bathed in the engine & transmission oil and cars do not. The vehicle owner’s manuals give specific oil requirements and the big difference is certification of the oil for wet clutch use.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back