• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What torque wrench?

Therapy

Reaction score
Visit site
The thing about the handlebars got me thinking what torque wrench to ask for for Christmas.

I have one of the old Craftsman that goes from 4-50 ft. lb. and a newer clicker that goes from 10-75 ft. lb. Not much good for most things on the NC knowing that working the middle of the wrenches range is the best thing to do.

I tightened a handle bar bolt when installing a Ram mount ball and not having used a clicker before thought to myself, "Self, this thing has to be really tight my now" as I had not felt or heard the click. And that is some long lever arm. Well I guess I had missed it. When I put another bolt in the vise to test it (yep, but I thought I had it figgered out) I knew I had waaaay over tightened the bolt. In the end all seems well enough.

But.

I need a decent one that can be used for smaller stuff on the NC. I cringe when I think of the valve check/adjustment that will happen next year what with all I have heard about those sissy, weak 6mm bolts on that job!

I'm not going to spring for a Snap-on. I am more like a Craftsman type guy. (Otherwise I would have a Beemer, No?) (or at least a front and rear shock job by now instead of just a home-made seat!)....

What say those that know?

PS. I think the clicker type should release completely. Or mine is just too easy to miss the click. Or......The operator is old and malfunctioning too often.

Last edited:
If you try a Harbor Freight torque wrench with one of their cheap $10 coupons make sure you test it ASAP. They have a high DOA rate in general from tool boards I've participated in. BUT, if you get one that works out of the box it should be fine. Problem is many of them don't "click" at all, and many unknowing people destroy their stuff who are new to torque wrenches. My friend bought one a year ago and sure enough it didn't click at all. Second one same thing, third one was the charm. Reviews on the Craftsman click type are mixed, but is a safer bet. They are frequently on sale for around $40.

I got a Snap On 30+ years ago, so long ago I have almost forgotten when. About 5/7 years ago I decided I had better get it recalibrated. I found a local agent and passed it to him. He was a travelling agent who worked from the back of his Snap On Van as they do over here. I got his cell phone number and left it to him. In the interim he loaned me a brand new demonstrator electronic torque wrench to tide me over, as my own had to be returned to Snap on to be recalibrated. The new item was very good with digital display and other aspects to its use that my item did not have. It was an expensive piece of kit.

A short time later he called me to advise that my wrench was too old to be recalibrated and that instead it would have to be dismantled and new parts installed. The price was high and he didn't want to proceed without letting me know. I asked him to return it as the repair was just too expensive and I wasn't exactly unhappy with its performance already. I decided I would check it out against the one he lent me and told him that. He called to my house one day and delivered it to a neighbour while I was out. I had also asked him to get me a small Torque wrench that would be more suitable for lighter applications. He had none in stock but would get me one and would call me back when he had them. In the interim I could hold on to the demo until he called me.

I then carried out a series of tests on various bolts using the new one as a guage against my old one. After extensive testing I found that my old item was still very accurate and no more than a pound or so out. That was good for me as I never used it on lighter applications anyway. Time passed and I wasn't hearing back from the agent. I then tried calling him but got no answer. Time and time again I left messages. No response. I went back to the Garage who referred me to him and left a written message for him there. No response. Some time later they advised me that they had not heard from him in ages and thought he might have gone out of business as a Snap on agent.

The problem was that I still had a very expensive torque wrench that was not mine. I made several attempts to contact him again through various means but never succeeded. I reverted to using my old item and it is still working perfectly. Sadly there is a shiny new one still in its box with its spare batteries in my shed, to this day. So much time has now elapsed that I know I will not hear from the Agent. I don't really have a use for the New wrench as the old one covers all my heavier applications and I have learned to cover my lighter applications by good old fashioned feel. So far so good.

I must go find the "new" wrench and check that it is still functioning well. I wonder if its memory is still good as the batteries have been out of it for some years and they will be flat anyway........

My father has a snap-on torque wrench. I've used it a few times in my life.
It is a fine tool.
I don't think I could ever justify buying it.

I presently have a cheap bendy bar torque "wrench", no ratchet, just a measurement.

Since it's kind of a pain to switch back and forth between tightening and measuring the bolt I've gotten pretty good at remembering just how tight something was when I took it out, and then tighten back up to that point. I usually pull out the bendy bar for the last hair of tightening things just to make sure I'm in spec.

I'd love to have a click style like the snap-on my father has, though that has got to be at least 20 years old now, it was his work wrench and the first time I saw it was 20 years ago when he doing an engine swap on our '89 suburban.
Somehow I feel like his wrench might not have a range suitable for motorcycle work though... 1/2 inch drive and a quick look around the internet for similar tools suggests the range starts at 30 ft/lbs.... and goes up to 250... he did use it for working on semi-trucks...

I have a hard time justifying buying a nice tool that i'd only use a half dozen times a year when I have something that I can get by with.

p.s. Griff if you'd like I can totally impersonate a snap on sales rep to get a fancy digital wrench "returned" to me ;)

My father has a snap-on torque wrench. I've used it a few times in my life.

p.s. Griff if you'd like I can totally impersonate a snap on sales rep to get a fancy digital wrench "returned" to me ;)

I just went looking for it. The box had a couple of cobwebs on. I put in the batteries and it instantly came to life beeping a little welcome to me after its long hibernation. I see its range is 5-100 ft lbs. It has a certificate of calibration with the handbook which is dated 2008. That ties in with my mention of 7 years above as I was not sure. It was brand new then and still is. Photo attached. I think I will start using it as it is a total waste otherwise.

P1040551.jpg

I just went looking for it. The box had a couple of cobwebs on. I put in the batteries and it instantly came to life beeping a little welcome to me after its long hibernation. I see its range is 5-100 ft lbs. It has a certificate of calibration with the handbook which is dated 2008. That ties in with my mention of 7 years above as I was not sure. It was brand new then and still is. Photo attached. I think I will start using it as it is a total waste otherwise.

View attachment 27518

Yes, start using it! That's a very nice tool. My company issues me 4 different torque wrenches, from nut driver size to over 200 lb-ft, all checked for accuracy annually. I have never had one go in for calibration and found to be out of spec. I have the big brother to your electronic Snap-on, which I use mainly on trucks and on larger vehicle wheel lug nuts. Unfortunately when I retire soon I'll need to buy my own wrenches.

Last edited:
Back