• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What's stopping you from getting an AT

I'm hard pressed to call even a larger displacement machine that weighs over 350 pounds a DIRT BIKE, plated enduro or even a dualsport and -- that's at the heavy end of the scale.

500 pounds? ADV -- Adventure. the best riders will be able to ride it somewhat like a dirt bike in many regards, but mere mortals are going to find out otherwise. People have been drinking the kool-aid too long.

I'm hard pressed to call even a larger displacement machine that weighs over 350 pounds a DIRT BIKE, plated enduro or even a dualsport and -- that's at the heavy end of the scale.

500 pounds? ADV -- Adventure. the best riders will be able to ride it somewhat like a dirt bike in many regards, but mere mortals are going to find out otherwise. People have been drinking the kool-aid too long.

There's a bike for everything but not a bike that does everything perfect. Thank god we have so many choices.

2014 nc700x -Rox risers-22in madstad-barkbuster storms.

There's a bike for everything but not a bike that does everything perfect

Yeah, it's like you say something else entirely, and someone comes back at you with a platitude ; }

WHAT I am saying is why become like marketing people that want to bend the meanings until they no longer have much meaning? It is NOT a dirt bike or dualsport or enduro. It's an adventure bike, which is more like a long tour bike that doesn't totally suck once it gets off pavement.

Yeah, it's like you say something else entirely, and someone comes back at you with a platitude ; }

WHAT I am saying is why become like marketing people that want to bend the meanings until they no longer have much meaning? It is NOT a dirt bike or dualsport or enduro. It's an adventure bike, which is more like a long tour bike that doesn't totally suck once it gets off pavement.

Lol totally missed what you were going for!

2014 nc700x -Rox risers-22in madstad-barkbuster storms.

I agree with your sentiments regarding large bikes. It probably doesn't matter whether many people can easily/safely ride a 500+ pound dirt bike in off-road (and I don't mean unpaved road) situations. What really matters is that Honda can move them off the show room floor for decent profit.

Last edited:
Yep. Honda has been taking the safe bets here for some time now in the North American market. Can't blame 'em. The market is kind of brainwashed by Ewan McGregor or something (call the support helicopters!) ; } -- in reality most buyers of larger-displacement ADVs are never going to do the rough stuff much, certainly not on a continuing basis. It's just a romantic notion that's largely fulfilled once one has done some trips including easier FS roads or secondary gravel ones. At any rate they are fun to ride and do that better than a crotch rocket with different tires...

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a tank bag. Surprising things can pop out of a motorcycle tank bag.
True, including attaching one to our NC's. But without a frunk, my horizons open to many other bikes and brands and I wouldn't just be limited to a selection between my 'frunked' NC and a 'non-frunked' AT.

Would the 'non-frunked' AT then make the top selection on a wide open short list of other 'non-frunked' adventure bikes to meet my needs? IDK.

Of course if it came 'frunked', I would already have bought one! Since Honda didn't, I'll keep waiting for Rally-Raid to offer a 19" wheel/fork kit and keep my frunk.

Ray

Last edited:
It is NOT a dirt bike or dualsport or enduro. It's an adventure bike, which is more like a long tour bike that doesn't totally suck once it gets off pavement.

IMO, this statement defines adventure bikes. It's just a road bike that doesn't totally suck off pavement, nothing more.

I'm at the leg length where the AT is just a bit taller than I would like but not that off-putting... but the Rally Raid [3] CB500X would be really manageable for me in rougher terrain. But I'm still hoping something lighter and modern in similar displacement will hit North American shores eventually.

I like the AT a lot. It is more comfortable to me than my NC. But for that much money I want cruise control and generally a more open road friendly bike. I also have a drz 400 for adventuring around. The additional weight on the AT is unattractive. Fifty pounds is a lot.

If Honda could shave fifty pounds off the NC in some sort of premium package and add cruise control that would be awesome. I would pay 12k for a bike like that. The Yamaha FJ09 shows you can do some of that.

I have not ridden the AT, but I did get to test ride the 1200. It was very comfortable and powerful, but even heavier, no cruise control, and not very good gas mileage.

Last edited:
seat height....

I have not tried it with the low seat option , is head with the low seat option it can be as low as the NC.
It feels lower to me in the low position. It irritated my knees on just a short ride, but I also had slightly lowered pegs on my NC. I had not adjusted sag at all when I tried the low seat, though.

I'll keep waiting for Rally-Raid to offer a 19" wheel/fork kit and keep my frunk.
As an update to this option, I received disappointing news from Rally-Raid.

RE: Level 3 Adventure Kit Honda 19" Wheel/Fork Kits
"Ray, we have been testing the CB500X parts on the NC, however, we will not be doing wheel kits for the bike. Shocks, racks etc, but not the wheel kit."

Ray

Last edited:
Went to the dealership yesterday to see if I would have to pay off the NC before leaving for my mexico/CA/SA trip (delayed to July btw), and since I won't, I decided to check the options for an AT... Should go back to the dealership this week for an appraisal of my NC.

I've been thinking about the AT and the VFR1200 a lot lately, but I finally discarded the VFR for not really being the best choice for the bad roads I will find down south. I was worried the NC may be able to do fine, but I may also have a hard time in muddy or sandy terrains and I thought the wheel sizes may be an issue, as could also be the ground clearance. The AT seemed to be an appropriate answer. Obviously if I was not riding south, I may be more inclined to get something like the VFR, but I suspect my riding style will be more off-roadish than on-roadish - as opposed to my round the USA trip last year - and the AT is the best answer - considering I don't want to switch to other brands at this point...

Well, I will decide this week, when they tell me how much they value my 2015 NC750XA (sad part is the $$$ gear I added to it they may undervalue). And then more $$ to spend to get the gear on the AT...

Took my daughter to the local Honda dealership that had an open day yesterday. She was testing the CTX, and they had an AT DCT open so I had to oblige and ride it!! Nice, but no intention of really buying. The NC ticks all of my needs/wants boxes right now. If I rode further AND did off-roading, I'd consider it. If I just rode further I'd probably go with the VFR. I sat on it and it's a higher seat than the AT with them both at stock levels. Both seem very capable and nice bikes though!

As a side question, are there AT forums somewhere as good as the NC ones here? If I move to the AT, I'll certainly be missing here...

I tried the Africa Twin dedicated forum above for a while but had some difficulty with its slowness because of addons and site advertising. I eventually moved on and as I was already on the Adventure Rider forum for various reasons such as my Dominator, KTM's, Triumph etc I had a look for AT dedicated threads. I am now part of the following :-

Africa Twin Farkle Fest with Pictures | Page 29 | Adventure Rider
Africa Twin owners thread! | Page 73 | Adventure Rider
CRF1000L Africa Twins in Action | Adventure Rider
The CRF1000L Africa Twin problem thread | Page 32 | Adventure Rider
The Africa Twin CRF1000L Owners' Thread | Page 245 | Adventure Rider
http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/africa-twin-crf1000l-suspension.1155122/

As a side question, are there AT forums somewhere as good as the NC ones here? If I move to the AT, I'll certainly be missing here...
Why move? Just because you don't have an NC?
Stick around, I haven't found a better forum,
and I've poked and peeked in a lot of places.
I'm sticking around here, until I get booted :p

Why move? Just because you don't have an NC?
Stick around, I haven't found a better forum,
and I've poked and peeked in a lot of places.
I'm sticking around here, until I get booted :p

I know. Just feels "weird' to go to an AT thread on a NC forum, but hey, at least we stay close to the "family" ;)
Maybe we should start a section of forums by bikes, if many NC owner move to different bikes but want to keep in touch somehow :)

Back