• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What's the slowest speed you'll shift into sixth?

Janus

Reaction score
Visit site
For me it's about 30mph on a flat. On a good downhill slope I'll try it at 25.

Accelerating can be a little boggy at 30 but it doesn't seem to be lugging the engine. Throttle needs to be gently applied for best results.

I have a '17 MT 700X. I've maintained a fairly moderate average of ~70.5 over a tank short of 50,000 miles. I lost my owners booklet years ago and I only found the recommended shift points for the 750, but I doubt they're different for my lil' 700. Honda recommends shifting every 10kph starting at 20kph for second.

What is your experience? MT or DCT?

The 2012 and 2015 manuals listed 37 mph IIRC. I didn't shift my manual onto 6th below that and usually not below 50-55 mph. The DCT won't let you accelerate in 6th from a speed roughly 37 mph.

On my manual transmission 700, I generally consider around 39 mph to be the minimum 6th gear speed on flat land without wind. This equates to about 2100 RPM.

My manual transmission shifting behavior falls between equivalent DCT patterns D and S/S1. I found D to be too lazy and S to be unnecessarily aggressive.

My gas mileage averages 76 mpg over almost 50,000 miles. I rarely ride over 60 mph and don’t use the brakes much (still on original pads).

Last edited:
Interesting, I would have expected it to just accelerate. Another thing learned about the DCT. You are always a knowledgeable source of info sir.

Interesting, I would have expected it to just accelerate. Another thing learned about the DCT. You are always a knowledgeable source of info sir.
Thanks. I don’t know exactly how the latest DCT will react but I don’t think it will be much different.

I have been treating 6th like a car overdrive. I generally wont use it unless I am comfortably at speed on the freeway or other road with a speed limit above 50mph. I have tried it around town and it feels fine to lope along the 40mph roads in 6th, I just really hate trying to bang down 6 gears at every stop light.

I usually stay out of 6th gear until I am doing 60mph or so....I hate the lug feel it has in 6th for below 60mph....In towns, 3rd or 4th gear, out on county roads, no higher than 5th...6th gear-for Interstates and out in the middle of nowhere state highways....

It works off of throttle input just like a car's auto trans...if you are inputting throttle and it doesn't have the power to accelerate to match throttle input, it downshifts for better acceleration.

I usually stay out of 6th gear until I am doing 60mph or so....I hate the lug feel it has in 6th for below 60mph....In towns, 3rd or 4th gear, out on county roads, no higher than 5th...6th gear-for Interstates and out in the middle of nowhere state highways....
Yup, 55-60 for me too.

Any speed under 55 and it feels like it is lugging to me in 6th. In fact, the way I ride, my bike rarely sees 6th gear and my avg mileage is 69+ over the last 2000+ miles. But I ride for the fun of it and not to compete for the best MPGs.

Back