• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What's your favorite pocket knife or Multi- tool

turbodieseli4i6

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I carry a Kershaw Chive everywhere I go, hands down my favorite pocket knife ( and I own 2 or 3 or 30 pocket knives lol). I also keep a Leatherman Wave in my truck or in the frunk, depending on what I am driving.

One day while at Academy, my boys told me they both wanted a pocket knife. They made their own choice and got what they wanted.
My 10 year old, then 8 picked a Case Sodbuster Jr, which also happened to be the first knife I bought new when I was a youngster.
My 13 year old, then 11 picked a the same model Swiss Army knife that I have carried for years.
That made my day!

I have had a (first generation, I guess) Leatherman Super Tool for ages, that was given to me as a gift. It has always been pretty awesome, but it sure is heavy, lol!

If I had to change one thing about it though, it would be to somehow swap around how the blades open out. When you fold it out to use as pliers, the "inside" edges of the tool are now on the "outside". You can't really get too healthy a grip to clamp down with the pliers now, because those edges are sharp enough to cut your palm/inner fingers!

I "carry" a small Swiss Army knife in my pants pocket. Don't like a lot of bulk. Also have a larger Swiss Army I keep in my computer brief case. And I have a Leathermans tool I wear when traveling or camping. Had to get the Leathermans because the guy who developed grew up in this neck of the woods. Next week when I visit my mom I hope to get several more knives. My father recently died and my mom said when she was cleaning out some of his things she found a knife and a watch in every drawer.

I've got an old Gerber Multi tool stashed in my pick up somewhere. I ruined the cutter while cutting a fence, after a couple of drunk girls decided to crash in my neighbors field.
I need to replace it someday.

One day while at Academy, my boys told me they both wanted a pocket knife. They made their own choice and got what they wanted.
My 10 year old, then 8 picked a Case Sodbuster Jr, which also happened to be the first knife I bought new when I was a youngster.
My 13 year old, then 11 picked a the same model Swiss Army knife that I have carried for years.
That made my day!

When my oldest son, who just turned 38, was in the 5th grade I bought him a nice Swiss Army knife. We lived in Iowa at the time and were making a trip to the Pacific Northwest to visit family and camp. Thought a new knife would be handy for camping. Toward the end of the first week of the trip we were camping in north Washington state. He was carving on a stick he had found lying around. The knife slipped out of his hand and fell into a lake. I spent hours looking for it but to no avail.

Maybe we need to change the name of the thread, to What's your favorite knife and knife story. Stories about Dad's and their kids are great!

Last edited:
As my EDC I carry swiss army knife i got from my mom when I was 10 yrs. old
SAKWiki | SwissChamp
Though mine at that time came without the hook (no. 14 on a picture). That knife has been places and is still going strong :)

In the frunk, just in case is the Gerber multitool i bought some 5 yrs. ago
Review: Gerber Multi-Plier “Suspension” | ModernSurvivalOnline.com
Like the pliers, everything else, well, could be better.

And for my kids, we are only getting started, and for that we went traditional French style, but the version for the kids :)
ACME Party Box Company - Opinel Kid's Scout Knife

As my EDC I carry swiss army knife i got from my mom when I was 10 yrs. old
SAKWiki | SwissChamp
Though mine at that time came without the hook (no. 14 on a picture). That knife has been places and is still going strong :)

In the frunk, just in case is the Gerber multitool i bought some 5 yrs. ago
Review: Gerber Multi-Plier “Suspension” | ModernSurvivalOnline.com
Like the pliers, everything else, well, could be better.

And for my kids, we are only getting started, and for that we went traditional French style, but the version for the kids :)
ACME Party Box Company - Opinel Kid's Scout Knife

Wow! Your Mom is a keeper!

Yeah, she is especially as she had to double as dad :)

Was recently on a business trip to south of France and forgot to place my swiss champ in the luggage. Realized only when i was "getting undressed" for a police control. Luckily it seems there are some changes in flight legislations here in Europe, as after couple of minutes of measuring the bigger knife blade against the width of his security card, officer allowed me to take it with me inside the plane

I once read on a different forum that a member used to keep a cheap pair of vice grip in the tool box in the bike. The rider had a mishaps (lowside) during a long trip when the left foot peg broke off and the shift lever was bend. He bended the lever back with the vice grip and then clamped the vice grip onto what was remained of the peg and rode the rest of the way home.

I think I will keep a pair of vice grip in the frunk.

I once read on a different forum that a member used to keep a cheap pair of vice grip in the tool box in the bike. The rider had a mishaps (lowside) during a long trip when the left foot peg broke off and the shift lever was bend. He bended the lever back with the vice grip and then clamped the vice grip onto what was remained of the peg and rode the rest of the way home.

A vise grip and long-handled screwdriver will handle just about anything. For the others, I carry a small Swiss Army and always, always, a Spyderco clipped to my pocket, no matter what I'm wearing. There's at least one multi-tool, all Leatherman, in every vehicle we have. Or is it Leathermen? Anyway, we've got many, all well oiled, clean, and ready for use.

It wasn't me that posted (I don't think...) I've always kept a pair of mini visegrips clamped onto the bike somewhere, and have actually used a pair for a footpeg once! lol

They are black powdercoated and were really cheap (like $1.99 at a local tool supply house)

The most versatile pocket knife I use is a Leatherman Super Tool I bought in Folkston, GA in 1998. In the same fishing and hunting shop I bought a "Gator" from Gerber. But the Leatherman is not realy a pocket knife. I use to carry him in my luggages or in my car when I go somewhere. Now I will carry it in my bike.

I use a Swiiw army knife too, usualy when whe travel I carry both.

Thank for the tip of the vice grip, it is a very good idea.

B.R.

I retired my 15 year old Leatherman Supertool and my 8 year old Wave II when I got my Leatherman Skeletool 3 years ago. The Skeletool is the best pocketknife/multitool I've ever owned bar none. On the one or two occasions I've left the house without it, I've turned around to get it.

Favorite everyday knife on me is Kershaw spring assist open knife. Favorite camping knife is Schrade Navitool it has a little of everything on it I like it because it has a led light but one night the whistle came in handy. Startled black bear takes swipe at camper

Here is a picture of the knife and my sleeping bag the next morning.DSCN0361.jpg

Back