• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Where do you stop when you fill up?

Agent

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've looked it up on here and can't find anything to my satisfaction, but if anyone knows where this is addressed, please enlighten me.

I've always wondered how far other people fill up their tanks. I'm not terribly concerned about range, but I do like to do more riding than filling. Someone expressed some concern over a charcoal canister. To be honest, I don't know what that is or where it is, so I'm currently just wondering about how much gas to put in the tank.

fuel arrow.jpg

This is how full I fill my tank. Every time. I fill it just until the level of the fuel touches the top of the arch on that little plate that sits under the filler neck. The bike is always on the sidestand at the gas station.

Is that similar to what you do? I'm a terrible creature of habit, so I probably won't ever stop doing it my way; I'm just curious how everyone else fills up.

The vent, which is attached to the charcoal canister through a hose, is located behind and above the filler neck. If you "overfill" it, you still have a sufficient air volume for expansion and no worries about fouling the canister. Unless you modify the fuel system, you should not have to worry about it. My personal SOP is to place the nozzle barely past the internal barrier plate and slowly fill to the automatic shut-off point.

If you over-do it, it simply drains to ground right beside where you partially stomped out your cigarette.

I simply wait for the gas pump to fail to stop pumping, after gas gushes out over the whole bike... Then I manually stop the pump, and consider it full.

I do like to get the most range possible. For the 21,000 miles I've had the NC, I have filled the tank until just one more tiny squirt would have it running over the filler neck. I have had no problems with the charcoal canister or otherwise. I do, however, fill the tank to the top only if I am continuing to ride. I have seen, at least on other bikes, where if you fill a tank to the top, then just park it out in the sun, the fuel expands and could vent or run over. If you're traveling and stopping for lunch and gas, eat first then fill the gas tank.

Please stretch out on this comfortable sofa and tell us all how long you have "always wondered how far other people fill up their tanks".

Most times I fill my bike up at a gas station. Well, some times I fill my bike up at a gas station. But if I run out of gas while on the roadway or fill up at a gas station I fill the tank up to the point where the pump shuts itself off.

Not going out to the bike to get the user manual right now, but as i recall it says that with the bike on the side stand fill to half cover the hole in the plate just inside the filler neck.

There is a quite descriptive picture in the manual.

View attachment 27014

And that takes some finesse. Most pumps spew gas out so quickly it take some skill to not splatter fuel everywhere. Even if it is to the point of covering only half the plate. I found a pump at my local gas station that for some reason has half the pressure. I go out of my way to use that pump.

Our fuel tanks' capacities are 3.8 gallons each. My E light comes on with about a gallon left in the tank so I always add 2.5 gallons every time I stop for fuel and that works great for me.

Back