• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Where stands your "fear line"?

happy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
www.nc700-forum.com
Hi,
I am not planning to boast about myself, but how much do you lean over with your NC?
My original rear tires have about 5-8mm to the walls limit (each side). I love carving the roads and leaning (knee) down.

However, this cannot be compared to those racing bikes where you can lean even more.

:p
Joe

I don't really lean a great amount on my NC as most of my commute is either motorway and through villages and towns. Even if I take the country route home the lanes are not really suitable for riding at any speed. Again if I want to ride fun roads I use my VFR800X. I love the way the V4 punches out of the corners

My original rear tires have about 5-8mm to the walls limit (each side).

Those are called "chicken strips". They are supposed to be zero or less. You should lean it over until the handlebar is playing "Nearer My God to Thee" off the pavement like a phonograph stylus.

Get with it Happy!

Those are called "chicken strips". They are supposed to be zero or less. You should lean it over until the handlebar is playing "Nearer My God to Thee" off the pavement like a phonograph stylus.

Get with it Happy!

That cracked me up!!! Wishing you were better, Beemer. I'm sorry to hear about the recent setback.

Get with it Happy!

Ohhh. I think I will pay someone to get rid of my chicken strips.. :)

I think it's mostly common sense that dictates how much lean I take in a curve. There have been times when conditions were good, apex was spot on and entry speed managed correctly, that the tires actually screeched through a well known turn. But mostly I'm an old(er) fart that pretty much takes it easy and enjoys the experience of the scenery as much as maneuvering the machine.

I put the right peg feeler down a couple of times and the left once (don't know it's just the way I end up in the curves). The first time it happened it scared the hell out of me because it's impossible to get the hard parts down on a Gixxer and still be on the wheels, and I still sort of jerked my leg up last time because I was sure I had lost the rear at that point and was waiting for the grid of metal and plastic, but it was just the peg feeler and my line was a mess because the jerk made me drift out. I swear all the straight roads around here are ruining my skills, I'm gonna start late night parking lot trips again. I wonder what they would say if I showed up for a track day on this thing. Maybe with a lower bar and a few peg adjustments we could get an NC 700 racing league started, wouldn't be any slower than the 250 stock class now, I don't think so anyway....could be interesting. I'm going to start looking for sponsors, someone else start working on a set of rules.......Look out AMA here we come.....

I have no idea what you all are talking about. I've got it in my mind this is the part of the tire that has no wear on it. My other ride was getting a square tire, so I have been attempting to lean more in the corners. I went too far on my PCX that I grinded the center stand and that lifted the rear tire. Slid for about 4 feet before I reacted by pushing the bike up, and myself lower to get the tire down. I saw sparks in my mirrors. When that happened it felt like I had all the time in the world to understand what was going wrong, correct it, and admire the sparks all at the same time.

I pulled over, heart racing, looked at my scooter, patted myself on the back for not biting it. Rode home.

Ah ha ha ha hah (LOL).

Yes chicken strips, ah those are called chicken strips. I have heard of them but could never really find out what those were.
Well, I don't plan to go to 0mm. I think mine are quite close enough already.

Some riders cheat here. They go to a carpark, and they grind down the tires at low speeds.
Well, the things which people do to gain "respect"...

Interresting point.

At the moment, being a new motorcycle driver, I'a m on a lower point on the learning curve. Cold temperatures (so tyres temperature) doen't help to experience the lean limits. The moutain roads near my location are partially closed or there is a risk of remainig snow or ice. In the normal trafic there are too many limitations to be possible to experiment.

But that is one of my main questionning point about the driving. Not that I am inclined to push the limits, but only find a kind of limit just for my safety and my passenger.

I think it's also a question of time and practice. But any idea about how improve pilot's confidence in this point will be welcome.

B.R.

Interresting point.

At the moment, being a new motorcycle driver, I'a m on a lower point on the learning curve. Cold temperatures (so tyres temperature) doen't help to experience the lean limits. The moutain roads near my location are partially closed or there is a risk of remainig snow or ice. In the normal trafic there are too many limitations to be possible to experiment.

But that is one of my main questionning point about the driving. Not that I am inclined to push the limits, but only find a kind of limit just for my safety and my passenger.

I think it's also a question of time and practice. But any idea about how improve pilot's confidence in this point will be welcome.

B.R.

If such a thing is available in France then an advanced training course could be of great help

Some riders cheat here. They go to a carpark, and they grind down the tires at low speeds.
Well, the things which people do to gain "respect"...

Not everyone does slow speed parking lot maneuvers to remove the "chicken stripes." Many do it to practice essential riding skills and fine control of the bike. That stuff isn't necessarily easy

Training courses exists in France, but before i would make my own experience, if not for a very long time, at least a few

Well, but when the weather was a little bit better, i observed the "chicken strips" on my tyre, and timidely but shurely, the width decrease.:rolleyes:

Another thing i noticed : I ride moutain bike on a good level since 96. I my area and with my buddys, we use to ride in the Vosges moutains, and our usualy tracks are very steep, tricky, muddy, with a lot of small curves, stones, so (in general) the speed is low and you have to control visualy only a few meters in front of your weel.

With the motorcycle, I you have to do something opposite, dealing with fast speed and look far. A lot of habits to change.

I must say that I don't fear falling in moutain bike, it happends a lot of times, usauly without important injuries. But in motorcycle...

So...I take my time.

Tires of the same nominal size all look pretty much the same but differ slightly in detail and one of those details is the width of the tread surface from edge to edge and also the height of the sidewall. These plus the cross sectional profile affects the width of the chicken strip for the same lean angle - for example a particular rider could ride out to the edges and erase all of the strip on one brand/model of tire but when another brand/model of tire is installed on the bike the same lean angle leaves a 5 mm chicken strip. I have some pictures somewhere showing this on three brands of 170/60ZR-17 tires run on my ST1300. An Avon had no strip, the Michelin had a slim one, and the Bridgestone had the widest one. I was able to measure all three tires to document the edge-to-edge width.

I can still fold up the pegs with my tkc knobbys, but i would rather, just eat the chicken strips with fries. yum yum. dale

Back