• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Where stands your "fear line"?

Not very replaceable. My dealer found like 2 in the US (it's actually a 2 piece assy).
really it seems like a pretty standard piece, it looks like the nut that holds the wire in place on cheap bicycle brakes

Those are called "chicken strips". They are supposed to be zero or less.
I've always called it "reserve rubber".
If you have no reserve, you are on the edge of crashing.

Regularly riding on the edge of your tires will cause you to crash when something arises that requires some quick braking or maneuvering.

If you are racing for plastic trophys or particle board plaques, that's fine, go for it.

Those are called "chicken strips". They are supposed to be zero or less.

Regularly riding on the edge of your tires will eventually cause you to crash when something arises that requires some quick braking or maneuvering.

If you are racing for plastic trophys or particle board plaques, that's fine, go for it.

I have approx. 3/4" to 1" on either side. I don't always lean, but when I do, my boots keep me within sane limits (they rub before the pegs do).

That's an "upgrade"?
Over the stock, yes actually. Those cheap Amazon pegs have a better rubber on top (slightly less vibration/slight but still better) and they fit perfectly with no work or modification. I've used them for awhile and I'm happy with them. I replaced my stock pegs with these after breaking one of my stock pegs

I just ride and after I wonder myself about the reached end on the tyre wall. I'm the Touring-type-guy so never put my knees down anyway...

Sent by Motorola Moto G 4G

@wideguy: Your ability to detect hyperbole needs work.

Sorry. There are a lot of riders who work hard to get rid of "chicken strips". If I wanted mine gone, I'd use a wood rasp to rough them up in the garage!

Regularly riding on the edge of your tires will eventually cause you to crash when something arises that requires some quick braking or maneuvering.

If you regularly ride on the edge of your tires you've explored the performance envelope of bike and tires and know how much more envelope there is when you need it due to an unforeseen problem. It doesn't mean that you use all the envelope all the time. That practice is foolish and asking for it. However if you've never been out to the edges you won't go there when you need to - might as well not even have the "reserve" because you won't be comfortable using it.

A Sunday morning in a deserted parking lot with no traffic, perfect pavement, and unrestricted sight line is a great time to explore the edges. Lean angle is dependent on speed and radius of turn. Higher performance riding courses like Total Control and SMART are held in parking lots just like this as tight turn radius keeps speeds under 30 mph, lean angles high, and risk low. Experience gained here may save the day in a tight corner when you have to tighten the turn unexpectedly.

I did club road racing from 1976-1980. I pretty much stopped riding in the mid 80's until a year ago. This is my rear tire:

rear tire.jpg

I ride on the street. I have yet to have a foot peg hit the ground. I probably don't hit the ground with the pegs because: a) I weight about 170 lbs. (the greater the mass, the more the suspension will compress) b) I tend to slide off the side of the seat to lower the cg without leaning as far.

Getting on the brakes hard while leaned over is know as Applying for a Darwin Award.

However if you've never been out to the edges you won't go there when you need to - might as well not even have the "reserve" because you won't be comfortable using it.

A Sunday morning in a deserted parking lot with no traffic, perfect pavement, and unrestricted sight line is a great time to explore the edges. Lean angle is dependent on speed and radius of turn. Higher performance riding courses like Total Control and SMART are held in parking lots just like this as tight turn radius keeps speeds under 30 mph, lean angles high, and risk low. Experience gained here may save the day in a tight corner when you have to tighten the turn unexpectedly.
That's wonderful advice and a good learning experience, but, it won't teach you about entering a downhill decreasing radius turn at 45 mph or higher (can you get the front tire to chatter at 30 mph or less?). Or taking a long fast sweeper at 90mph+. Those are things you should learn on the track. Being on you edges of your tires when throttling up out of a fast turn can have dire consequences.

T

That's wonderful advice and a good learning experience, but, it won't teach you about entering a downhill decreasing radius turn at 45 mph or higher (can you get the front tire to chatter at 30 mph or less?). Or taking a long fast sweeper at 90mph+. Those are things you should learn on the track. Being on you edges of your tires when throttling up out of a fast turn can have dire consequences.

T
Yes, I've done track days if you are into willy 'wavin but that's really not what I was talking about. Exploring the edges in a safe environment, tracks and parking lots included, increase one's confidence and margins of safety for everyday street riding. There are people that encourage wide chicken strips for reasons of safety when I'm of the opinion it does just the opposite.

Yes, I've done track days if you are into willy 'wavin but that's really not what I was talking about. Exploring the edges in a safe environment, tracks and parking lots included, increase one's confidence and margins of safety for everyday street riding. There are people that encourage wide chicken strips for reasons of safety when I'm of the opinion it does just the opposite.
We agree, except I wasn't talking about willie waving, I was also talking about exploring the performance capabilities of your bike/rider combo in a safe environment, for the very same reason you noted.

This is a "Track tech and riding technique" thread after all. Just sayin'.

I have sparked my foot pegs numerous times on my '99 Valkyrie Tourer but have not had the faith to do that on the 700 as it is considerable higher off the ground. That's the hardest part of riding the 700 to me is how far I can lean and still be safe. I hate high siding. Too old for some of this stuff. I'm 74 and just getting over a broken leg. That tends to make me make safer decisions. Although I do like laying over in a good curve on a good road.

What's the Elephant for?

"We are a manufacturer of tires and have been doing so longer than Harley-Davidson has been making motorcycles. In regards to the elephant years ago we used elephants to move the natural rubber out of the forests to build tires. The founder Robert Metzeler liked the idea that our tires have the same attributes of the elephant which include and strength and tenacity.

Have a great day.

NA Metzeler M/C Tires Consumer Affairs
877 202-4993
www.us.metzelermoto.com"

Lots of Metzler logo stuff on internet.

elephant.jpg

Back