• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Which style bar risers?

pfettig77

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm really loving every aspect of my new NCX, but I really don't like reaching forward for the bars. It's uncomfortable at best and sometimes downright painful. When I get on my G650GS I'm reminded what good rider geometry feels like but I'm selling it because I like most other things about the NC better. So I'm looking at getting some bar risers to bring the bars closer. My question is what style works best for getting the bars closer?

1. Rox style pivoting ones
2. The stationary ones that are bent back: https://www.amazon.com/Acouto-Adjus...=motorcycle+bar+risers&qid=1571175496&sr=8-19
3. The tusk ones. I'm pretty new to all this so forgive me (and yes I did a search and read all I could about the topic)

Any advice? I should mention i have heated grips. Not sure if that makes a difference for cable/wire length.

Last edited:
Assuming you have OEM heated grips, it shouldn't matter, I have the OEM heated grips and 1.5" risers and I've got something like 4"of extra slack on my wires for my grips.

I have the standard style tusk risers and they're are simple and basic as possible and get the job done, my bars have never moved, I went down and bent my handle bars, the risers were unaffected, so that's great.

I couldn't get your Amazon link to work but I'm assuming you meant these or ones like them

KIMISS Motorcycle Handlebar Risers, A Pair CNC Motorcycle Bar Handlebar Mounts Riser Clamp Set for NC700X NC700S NC750X NC750S CB500F CB500 (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MQ18798/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_4cMPDbQ9F86AA

If so those are the ones I would have bought if they were available when I was looking.

I haven't personally used Rox Risers but I've heard nothing but good things, if your willing to spend the money they even have a set that is supposed to reduce handle bar vibrations

I went with the Rox 2" risers and just tilted them back towards me a little bit. All of the cables had plenty of room. I did have to slide the front brake line a little and nothing is pinched or binds. On my second season with them and like them a lot. :{)

Rox risers installed Sept 3rd 2018.jpg

I have the risers that you have a Amazon link to. Like Rapturee mentioned, I had to slip the brake line in its mount. No big deal, everything else had enough slack to work. I do not have factory heated grips.

Assuming you have OEM heated grips, it shouldn't matter, I have the OEM heated grips and 1.5" risers and I've got something like 4"of extra slack on my wires for my grips.

I have the standard style tusk risers and they're are simple and basic as possible and get the job done, my bars have never moved, I went down and bent my handle bars, the risers were unaffected, so that's great.

I couldn't get your Amazon link to work but I'm assuming you meant these or ones like them

KIMISS Motorcycle Handlebar Risers, A Pair CNC Motorcycle Bar Handlebar Mounts Riser Clamp Set for NC700X NC700S NC750X NC750S CB500F CB500 (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MQ18798/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_4cMPDbQ9F86AA

If so those are the ones I would have bought if they were available when I was looking.

I haven't personally used Rox Risers but I've heard nothing but good things, if your willing to spend the money they even have a set that is supposed to reduce handle bar vibrations

Yep. Those are the ones. They're absolutely identical to the link I posted except they're $2.50 cheaper. Cool. I'm gonna buy them now. I'm Too cheap to buy the Rox risers. Or maybe just too practical. Can't imagine what they'd offer that these ones don't.

Yep. Those are the ones. They're absolutely identical to the link I posted except they're $2.50 cheaper. Cool. I'm gonna buy them now. I'm Too cheap to buy the Rox risers. Or maybe just too practical. Can't imagine what they'd offer that these ones don't.
The Rox Risers offer a second pivot point, whether that is necessary or worth the additional cost is a matter of preference.

The Rox Risers offer a second pivot point, whether that is necessary or worth the additional cost is a matter of preference.

That's true. I thought of that after I said that. I'm assuming the pivot angle that I would set the Rox at is the same as the set angle on the ones I just ordered - like 45 degrees toward me.

The Rox give you more adjustability, and will offer more rise, depending on which model you buy. However, for the much lower price, the fixed risers are a good start, and easier to install.

Well I got them and installed them yesterday. Big time improvement. I took it for a half hour ride then got on my BMW and they are now very similar ergonomically, which is what I was looking for.
20191018_095851.jpg

Attempting to install some SW MOTECH risers.....30mm. Having issue with brake line "stays"...........one metal bar looking thingy down within all the plastic ( by the upper right side of the fork ). The lower brake line stay attached to the front of the frame attache by a bolt. Oddly, I need to relieve these in order to have enough slack.
Left side of upper fork , there's a cable stay for the switch gear ( I believe )...... odd looking , plugged into the "frame " or plastic shroud?. How do you remove that ?. TIA

Attempting to install some SW MOTECH risers.....30mm. Having issue with brake line "stays"...........one metal bar looking thingy down within all the plastic ( by the upper right side of the fork ). The lower brake line stay attached to the front of the frame attache by a bolt. Oddly, I need to relieve these in order to have enough slack.
Left side of upper fork , there's a cable stay for the switch gear ( I believe )...... odd looking , plugged into the "frame " or plastic shroud?. How do you remove that ?. TIA
Does your bike have ABS or not? Hose routing differs, so the info would help someone help you.

If I understand and remember correctly, the electrical cable mount at the upper triple clamp is pushed into a square hole in a bracket, and has two plastic clips that need to be compressed to release it.

When you guys are installing the fixed risers are you marking the handlebars position against the top clamp and then lining up the marks after the new risers are installed?

I'm not sure if I should keep the bars at the same angle as originally installed or let the angle move forward with the riser?

I try to keep the bar angle the same to maintain the same bend in my wrists when riding. I stopped using fixed risers because they don’t go high enough, but usually I just put the riser on, then angle the bars until the view in the rear view mirrors is the same as it was before. Marking the bars with tape is also a good way, and probably more accurate than the crude mirror view method, but only works with fixed risers.

Obviously you’ll want to properly torque the handlebar clamp bolts to 22 Nm (16 lb-ft).

I try to keep the bar angle the same to maintain the same bend in my wrists when riding. I stopped using fixed risers because they don’t go high enough, but usually I just put the riser on, then angle the bars until the view in the rear view mirrors is the same as it was before. Marking the bars with tape is also a good way, and probably more accurate than the crude mirror view method, but only works with fixed risers.

Obviously you’ll want to properly torque the handlebar clamp bolts to 22 Nm (16 lb-ft).

Looks like the fixed risers come with 2 sets of bolts, I'm guessing the shorter set is for riser to bike, and the longer set is for top clamp to riser and I don't use the factory bolts. (16 lb-ft seems pretty low?)

Tape sounds like a good idea, I will give that a go...

Use whatever torque spec source you might have. The following is from the 2012 NC700X service manual:
96B2E3A8-4E36-4209-8072-1415984CCAE8.jpeg

Back