• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Who says scooters are boring?

happy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
www.nc700-forum.com
[video=youtube_share;icvR4eq0Hpo]http://youtu.be/icvR4eq0Hpo[/video]

BTW, these are idiots to try it on the public roads....don't do this at home.:(

I've only owned one - Yamaha 250 Majesty - when I couldn't hold up a bike. It helped me back into biking as I recovered my health, but it reminded me why I was a rocker and not a Mod....

Nothing to hold with your knees, crude suspension, poor visibility, wrecked my back (can't take the weight off your bum when hitting potholes and road irregularities), no stability as wheels too small, CVT gear box makes cornering more difficult as the system takes too long to give that immediate response to the throttle, and slow speed maneuvering is a nightmare until all new techniques are learnt! So - surprisingly - I'll not be buying another one - even if it has better weather protection and more 'cargo' space.

Firstly you can leave out the old as my age has no bearing on the subject. Could you explain what you mean by the statement "....but then the NCX is cleverly disguised....". Disguised as what?

Last edited:
Up til now, I have been putting up with some snide remarks about our NC700x. It was written and said that it is actually a scooter in disguise. What is your view?

Up til now, I have been putting up with some snide remarks about our NC700x. It was written and said that it is actually a scooter in disguise. What is your view?
Does it have small wheels?
Does the suspension connect to the engine?
Can you mount it without swinging your leg over it?
if the answer to all above is No then it is NOT a scooter

Yeah, the small wheels thingy is the most defining of a scooter (how to say it...old times). Now there are those Maxi-scooters (like those in video) which have decently large wheels, storage space, tank under seat, etc. That is why some riders keep telling me the NCX is a scooter. Well, scooter or not, it is certainly comfortable and quick around bends. Cheers.:D

ok ok, i get it. :p and it wasn't me who said the NCX is a scooter. Some bikers in full racing leathers and 1000cc bikes, (some 10 of them) ...ok 1 or 2 of them said it...I was slightly amused and somewhat offended.

I'd like to give my opinion on this.
First off, let me give MY anthology of motorized two-wheeled vehicles: Kawasaki KE175, Honda CM400T, Honda VT700C, Honda CR250, Harley Davidson FXRS (1340cc), cheap mountain bike with a <40cc weedwhacker motor mounted to power it (yeah, I made that), and currently a Linhai Aeolus 150cc touring SCOOTER.

(BTW, I have a deposit on an NC 700X). For those who would "knock" a scooter.... They're: lighter, have more storage (as bone-stock models), in many cases greater fuel economy, have a lower center of gravity (better handling), their twist-and-go CVT will spoil even a seasoned manual tranny rider, most have an auto-choke ((Hit the start button, and walk away to let it warm up (only need to wait if its less than 42 degrees F, otherwise the autochoke won't kick in)) -yeah, I know the NC is fuel injected :), replacement parts cost about 1/5th of the comparable part in a quality motorcycle, an oil change uses only about 3/4 quart of oil, etc.

Perhaps the greatest attribute to a (Chinese) scooter: Thery're so simple in design, that even a novice like me can be my own mechanic. There's a plethora of Youtube vids showing anyone how to do almost anything to fix/maintain a gy6 motor. Sure beats $65/hour for labor to repair a quality motorcycle.

The downside to (Chinese) scooters: Lower sustained cruising speed (that won't kill the motor), reliability/breakdown possibility, resale value, fit/closeness of the body panels (my Chinese scoot has some gaps in body panels that would NEVER get by quality inspectors at a Japanese manufacturer), slower acceleration, lower top-end etc.

I have a place for both of these in my riding stable. Each has their own unique set of attributes. Both will serve a purpose for me. An inexpensive-to-maintain scooter, and the NC 700x. :D:D

Last edited:
I guess it is a mental picture thing.
A scooter used to mean a small Vespa or Piaggio but not anymore, enter the Maxi Scooters , weighing in at 200kg and 500-700cc.
With big boxes and storage spaces, they are perfect for touring really. Most still use it for scootering around for groceries or getting to the office with their suit and ties.

Maybe I am old school, but that picture still sticks to my mind. I have no quarrel with Scooterists, in fact I sometimes wave to them (much to their surprise) while out riding. Over here in Switzerland, most motorcyclists wave when they see one another, but never to another "species".
I found it strange but I have to respect the local "jungle laws".

Have fun, whatever you ride. It is more important than any other reason.

I may be in a minority, I like scooters, never did get the mod v rocker thing. I like the Vespa 300 Grandturismo and would love a go on the BMW scoot, these guys-well, not for me...

I never had a scooter....but I can emphatise with people who love Scooters....like people who love Harleys....
We are basically all the same kind of animal when you remove all clothes and underwear...
:p

Back