• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

wind noise

Oldenuf

Reaction score
Visit site
Like most things, noise is an individual thing, so many of you will feel puzzled by this post. I was about ready to seek out a new helmet, when I discovered a very annoying sound I was hearing at my usual traveling speed was coming from the collar on my jacket. I found when I pinched the collar tight the noise went away. With the addition of an extra snap from the sewing store I was able to snug up the fit and greatly reduce the sound.

Art

Last edited:
in fact.... I've considered putting velcro along the bottom edge of my helmet to attach a piece of cloth that would close the gap between body and helmet all the way around the helmet.

It would look like a "skirt" for the helmet. I'm fairly sure it would reduce noise quite a bit.
I haven't tested it yet, and probably won't as So. Cal is headed into the summer season where it's just too darned hot for that sort of thing.

in fact.... I've considered putting velcro along the bottom edge of my helmet to attach a piece of cloth that would close the gap between body and helmet all the way around the helmet.

It would look like a "skirt" for the helmet. I'm fairly sure it would reduce noise quite a bit.
I haven't tested it yet, and probably won't as So. Cal is headed into the summer season where it's just too darned hot for that sort of thing.

Yep, they help a lot in the winter, but they're just too hot in the summer.

My Shoei came with something like this:

icon-variant-helmet-liner.jpg

Wind noise is quite a bit better with it fitted. They just kind of press in between layers of the shell, you might find one cheap at Cycle Gear or somewhere. But, it'd be easy enough to come up with one yourself.

trey

Like most things, noise is an individual thing, so many of you will feel puzzled by this post. I was about ready to seek out a new helmet, when I discovered a very annoying sound I was hearing at my usual traveling speed was coming from the collar on my jacket. I found when I pinched the collar tight the noise went away. With the addition of an extra snap from the sewing store I was able to snug up the fit and greatly reduce the sound.

Art

It's amazing what wind votexes and stuff can produce!

I couldn't ride with one of my summer mesh jackets on my BMW, because the wind stream off the sides of the windscreen would cause the shoulder material to flap insanely and create this horrible noisy/irkesome vibration cacophony at anything faster than 25 mph. :mad:

If I lowered *one* arm, (didn't matter which side) it would stop. If I leaned back just far enough to be too uncomfortable to ride, it would stop. If I crouched down or leaned forward uncomfortably, it would stop. :rolleyes:

Installing Rox risers changed my arm angle enough enough to stop it up until about highway speed, where it would return. Combining the Rox with raising the stock windscreen a couple inches, finally made it stop at all speeds.

Something like this gizmo
Amazon.com: WINDJAMMER 2 "REDUCES WIND NOISE" fits all Full Face Helmets. The original often copied !: Health & Personal Care

I put a chin chin curtain on my helmet that helped a lot.

I generally ride with the cheap foam ear plugs any time I'm going to get on the highway, or any time I'm going more than a few miles...
if you've never done it, I'd suggest trying it, riding is so much more peaceful when there is no wind noise.

Bottom line the noise is where the wind can get in combined with shape that forms how it gets in. Know a guy that put deflectors in front of the joint on his flip up to eliminate wind noise. Because of that joint flip ups / modulars have a well deserved reputation for more noise than standard full face.

StratTuner:
I've used what the local accessory shop calls a "neck gaiter:" a polypropylene fabric tube that one pulls over the head and around the neck in the winter. Leaving the top up over my nose and ears until the helmet is secured then pulled down to my chin in the front creates a pretty good seal that reduces wind noise quite a bit. I'm thinking something similar in cotton (sleeve off an old T-shirt?) worn wet in the summer might do the trick. I've also had some success with an Aerostich neck wrap used he same way.
Kameltaz

My bike had the tall honda screen and extension. With that set up I had very little wind noise, but got bad buffeting at the worst times. I put on a madstad, got rid of the buffeting and made the bike ride nice, but the wind noise was extreme. So I thought, hmm, should I try an $800 helmet or another $300 screen?

Wind noise was not bad at all with an open face, but the modular helmet closed, very loud. The real problem was riding in the rain got my helmet wet inside because the air hitting my body rushed up, putting wet air in my face. I tried the extension on the madstad and that has made the wind and noise much better. Now the screen is 24" but I can run it at the bottom which put less air on my body. It's pretty quiet with an open face.

Good and bad, I had already decided to try a new helmet and may still try another screen. I could only bring myself to tell my wife, the helmet cost several hundred dollars, she'd know I was crazy for sure otherwise. The madstad is working pretty good for me, but it looks ridiculous and the water just sits on my mask, not very good for heavy rain.

Back