• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Winter is here? or there? or where?

happy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
www.nc700-forum.com
Hi guys and gals,

I just read over the internet (where everything is true), that Winter has suddenly arrived in Switzerland, after that HOT HOT spell last week.
It seems that we are going to be hit with a big cold and harsh winter this time.

Can someone advise me, how to prepare for winter-riding? (I have never ridden a motorcycle during winter)
Do I need winter-tires (so that they are soft and grippy etc).
I plan to source for a heated jacket, gloves, etc.
I mean, I am just going out for short trips, just to keep the oil running, etc.

In Zurich, we can get up to -10 degrees C, but not much more in the coldest month (January). Not sure when that will be, this year.
Normally, it will be 0 to 5 deg C on average.

I mean, today it is 10 - 15 C.....so it must be winter arriving early.
:p

Last edited:
Being from the land of Imperial temperature not really sure what -10 C is. I know -10 F is damn cold. As far as tires the same one you use now are fine. Just remember there won't be as much heat build up in them so you have to go a easy for a longer time. I ride down to about 24 F (freezing is 32 F). Bike handles just fine. Ice is the main concern at those temps. I have heated grips. As far as clothing I don't have heated clothing. Layering is your friend. When I say ride at 24 F I'll go out for a hundred miles or so. The cold isn't bad as long as you are prepared for it. The looks from people in their cars and at gas stations is well worth it. They will look at you like you are a mental patient.

Heated gear is your friend-I’ve done 450 mile days below freezing with a heated jacket and gloves (and insulated pant liners and boots. The real thing to worry about is ice-bad stuff can happen REAL fast when you hit a slick spot. If roads are icy I leave it parked. If they are “clear” you still need to watch bridges, etc.

I was out riding in 23F (-5C) a couple days ago. I agree heated gear is your friend, as is a good base layer. Also blocking as much wind as possible. If roads are clear any temp riding is possible but snow, ice or fog certainly makes things more dangerous. Slow down, stay vertical, allow longer braking area, avoid hilly or curvy roads if you can, shady spots and like Oldbear says avoid bridges and over passes as they tend to freeze from below.,

ULyMdowh.jpg

My old hands are the problem these days. The factory heated grips are ok with the Bark busters and Storm covers but below 40s F I have to keep my hands around the grips and my thumb tips are still cold. Last year i put on the Oxford handlebar Muffs and I am glad I did. My hands are in a micro climate with grip heater on and very happy. With the bark busters and handle bar set backs(1in back,1 in up) I have no clearance issues or wind pushing back on the brake,clutch levers. The bandana I wear daily (Thanks Covid) works along with the Pinlock lens insert to keep my face warm without any fogging. Insulated work boots with heavy socks and layering with good riding gear I am good to go upstate CONN from the coast for a cup of heat(coffee).

I also go down to about 20 F (-5 C). After that, my face starts to get cold (I need to get a better anti-fog visor so that I don't have to keep flipping it up to defog). Once the streets get salted my season is over. The salt accelerates rust and corrosion on the bike, and to me it is not worth it for a few short rides.

Also note that if you are just planning to ride it in winter to "keep the oil fresh", rather than actually enjoying the ride, it's better just to winterize the bike and just let it sit for an extended period of time. You really need to get the oil up to operating temperature (not just the engine coolant) to burn off any water that condenses in the crankcase, which for cars can be as long as 30 mins of driving. Starting and riding for 5-10 mins a couple of times is probably going to do more harm in the cold starts than be helpful to the oil in the long run. That being said, the NC is a modern engine and will probably be fine for many years to come regardless of how you operate.

Back