• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Wiring Heated Gear

I have Cycle Gear glove liners which get very warm (sometimes hot) when I ride in the cold...No temp controller but if I wear them, I need all the warmth they can put out. Most pickups today are not very practical....Too many people wanting a truck to be a car with full rear seats and leg room....which cut down on the bed length....Now my wife has a pickup....1997 Ford F250 Heavy Duty 4x4 with the 7.3 powerstroke diesel, extended cab....Every 2 weeks or so she hauls 1400 lb of grain/feed plus many bags (10 or more) of stall shavings, and she has a 27' gooseneck horse trailer.

31 degrees on take off on this morning's 63 mile ride. Heated jacket liner is nice, glove liners not so much. Right one gets warmer than left one and to keep left hand warm almost have to burn the right one.

Have oxford heated grip kit on order.

31 degrees on take off on this morning's 63 mile ride. Heated jacket liner is nice, glove liners not so much. Right one gets warmer than left one and to keep left hand warm almost have to burn the right one.

Have oxford heated grip kit on order.
I've heard of inconsistent glove liner operation from side to side but aftermarket heated grips can be the same way. The plastic throttle tube insulates the heat element from the metal handlebar which acts as a heat sink on the clutch side which makes the throttle side hotter than the clutch side. Better grip kits take this into account with different size heat elements for either side or include a piece of heat shrink tubing for the clutch side so the bare metal bar can't draw off heat. I received a set of Symtech Heat Demon grip heaters yesterday for an upcoming NC install.

You'll like the Oxford Heated grips, as they will take this into account and have the same heat on both sides. Plus they come with an intelligent pulse-width controller that varies the width of the voltage pulse, unless you have it on 100% of course, along with all the wiring needing to install them.

Last edited:
I had Oxfords on my ST 1300 and thought they did an great job. My FJR came from the factory with heated grips which were amazing as well. Not used to having cold hands lol.

.......Not used to having cold hands lol.
Me neither! I've received a few comments like "you live in Florida, like you need heated grips" but I use them a lot as a year round rider. Our good riding season is fall, winter and spring. In North Florida where I live there are plenty of cool mornings in the 30s and 40s plus I often ride several hundred miles to the mountains where heated gear is useful in the spring and fall months. I do own bulky insulated gloves but rarely ever use them because heated grips allows me the use of light and medium weight uninsulated gloves most of the year and extends comfort range of these gloves into a cool morning or evening. I pack a pair of silk glove liners in each bike in case I get caught a few hours from home with loss of heated grips. It happened once.

Even my cheap-o Bikemaster heated grips are very even between left and right! Great for days like today with temps around 40 F on my ride in to work.

Back