• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question Would lack of ABS be a dealbreaker for you?

revmatch

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey folks,

Looking to get a new bike in the spring and I’m really interested in the NC750X. I’ve been thinking a lot about manual vs. DCT and, after much consideration, have decided that I’d want the manual version as I like being able to control the clutch myself and shift gears the traditional way.

Unfortunately, the manual NC doesn’t come with ABS here in the US which is making me hesitant.

Both my current and previous bikes have had ABS and, while I haven’t engaged it on either bike to date, I’m apprehensive about giving it up just to have the manual NC.

Curious what you all think — would lack of ABS be a dealbreaker for you? Or does everything else the NC offers outweigh the lack of ABS?

Lack of ABS would not and never has been a deal breaker for me.

Let's see, I've owned 14 motorcycles, and none have had ABS. I would like to have ABS, but because of the ways manufacturers bundle it, or because of the ways dealers order floor stock, getting ABS has just never worked out. It does not concern me.

As for the USA market NC7x0X offerings, American Honda could have easily offered ABS on the manual models (as is done in Canada), but they have chosen instead, for nine model years, to bundle it with DCT, an option which I absolutely do not want.

I expect ABS will eventually be government mandated on US motorcycles some day. Then I'll get ABS.

It would depend on the use of the bike.

For a modern road bike, now, I honestly expect that it should have ABS. There is no good reason for any medium or large displacement modern road bike to come equipped without ABS. 500cc and up or 400# or heavier, for a modern daily rider, heck yes it should have ABS. Can you ride one without? Certainly, a couple generations of riders have done so. But its a great safety feature and it should be on bikes like NC, regardless of the transmission.

Honda is really doing a disservice by not equipping their manual transmission NC750x with ABS.

Honda is really doing a disservice by not equipping their manual transmission NC750x with ABS.
I wonder if Honda has sold any DCT/ABS NCs because the customer really wanted just the ABS.

Observing the lack of color choices and options for the US NC offerings, I suspect Honda just wants to keep expenses as low as possible for the NC line because it is not a very profitable model in the US. Here are your choices: two transmission types, one color. Toss ABS in there somewhere.

I have no idea why the US market doesn't deserve ABS in both NC750X models.

For the very slight additional cost to the factory, put it on the manual trans versions and raise the MSRP just enough to cover costs.
That would only make Honda more responsible looking in the US market.

As for the USA market NC7x0X offerings, American Honda could have easily offered ABS on the manual models (as is done in Canada), but they have chosen instead, for nine model years, to bundle it with DCT, an option which I absolutely do not want.
Observing the lack of color choices and options for the US NC offerings, I suspect Honda just wants to keep expenses as low as possible for the NC line because it is not a very profitable model in the US. Here are your choices: two transmission types, one color. Toss ABS in there somewhere.
Sadly, I imagine this is pretty spot on.

DCT fits the “commuter bike” image that the NC is often relegated to here in the US due to its ease of use and approachability so I can see why Honda chose to include ABS on that model over the manual one. And, given the NC’s general lack of popularity in the US, I imagine Honda might not want to add ABS to the manual model as it would drive up the price and create less distinction between the two models, which might result in less sales of the manual version. Just a guess.

The overly optimistic part of me is hoping that maybe they’ll finally add ABS to the manual NC for the 2021 model (if / when it’s announced here), although I’m not holding my breath.

The overly optimistic part of me is hoping that maybe they’ll finally add ABS to the manual NC for the 2021 model (if / when it’s announced here), although I’m not holding my breath.
A bit off topic, but related to your last sentence.
Just this past week I was at the dealer finishing the paperwork to complete the purchase of my '20 750 DCT.
I asked the sales manager if a '21 750X was available yet in his order book.
He said no, and doubted if there would be any '21 NC750X in Canada.
The reason for his doubt was that there is a lot of unsold '20 inventory at dealers across Canada.
If a '21 was coming, Honda Canada would long ago have put rebates on that unsold inventory to make room for a '21.
He rationalized that no rebate plus nothing in his order book = no '21 NC750X.
He thinks Honda Canada will skip the '21 MY and jump right to the '22.
He speculated that the '22 might be the UK '21 version available in March across the pond, or it could be something very different, perhaps something with an Africa Twin name, but with a 750 NC engine.
So based on what's happening here in N. America, he didn't predict a '21 NC750X.
But with anything Honda these days, he said the distributor is very secretive about what's coming and when.
The same dealership also sells Yamaha.
The manager told me that Yamaha Canada was much more transparent that Honda Canada, and was fulfilling its dealer commitments on orders and their timely delivery.
He said Honda was the complete opposite, and it would be a crap shoot on what Honda delivers and when.

I also asked about the new Rebel 1100.
He said they were in the order book, and he ordered 6 of them, but only 1 with DCT.
There really isn't a DCT market for the NC750X in N. America, and he predicted the target audience of the Rebel 1100 would also not want a DCT.
However, the Goldwing and Africa Twin have been popular with the DCT option.

Just this past week I was at the dealer finishing the paperwork to complete the purchase of my '20 750 DCT.
The reason for his doubt was that there is a lot of unsold '20 inventory at dealers across Canada.
If a '21 was coming, Honda Canada would long ago have put rebates on that unsold inventory to make room for a '21.
He speculated that the '22 might be the UK '21 version available in March across the pond, or it could be something very different, perhaps something with an Africa Twin name, but with a 750 NC engine.
So based on what's happening here in N. America, he didn't predict a '21 NC750X.
But with anything Honda these days, he said the distributor is very secretive about what's coming and when.
The manager told me that Yamaha Canada was much more transparent that Honda Canada, and was fulfilling its dealer commitments on orders and their timely delivery.
He said Honda was the complete opposite, and it would be a crap shoot on what Honda delivers and when.

He said they were in the order book, and he ordered 6 of them, but only 1 with DCT.
There really isn't a DCT market for the NC750X in N. America, and he predicted the target audience of the Rebel 1100 would also not want a DCT.
This is awesome info, @bigbird — thank you! I’ve been scouting the web for any signs of the updated NC coming to the US for weeks.

I’m in NYC and was asking a Honda / Yamaha dealer here about this last month. Interestingly, they only have 2 NC’s in stock — a 2019 and 2018, both manual, and both 15% off. American Honda is also offering a $500 rebate on 2019 models, as well as 0% financing on 2020 models.

When I asked the dealer if they had heard anything about the 2021 NC, they said no but that they have more DCT inventory coming in from Honda in May or June. That had me wondering if it might be an updated model, but I’m not sure.

Honda Pro Kevin also mentioned recently that the updated NC might be introduced as a 2022 model in North America.

That‘s useful interesting information and speculation there, bigbird.

As a further example of Honda model year irregularities, I noticed that American Honda now shows a 2022 model of the Ruckus scooter, a model that has existed since 2003. Also jumping over to 2022 already is the Metropolitan scooter. These models are unchanged except for colors, but apparently there are to be no 2021 models. Could it be due to too much old stock, as might also be the case with the 2020 NC750X?

It should also be noted that when the NC first came to the USA as a 2012 model, it did not arrive until late July. So there’s the possibility that if the next NC is to feature significant changes, it‘s rollout could be delayed to anytime during the year, and it could be called a 2021 or a 2022 no matter when it arrives.

Apparently not, because I bought the manual but wanted ABS. I was tempted by the DCT exclusively for the ABS. I like clutches though. All my vehicles except my first car have been standard transmissions.

Last edited:
No. The only time I have ever locked up the wheels on a motorcycle were during a motorcycle skills course when we were suppose to for the drill we were doing. Personally, I have tried to get the ABS to kick on on my 750 and couldn't do it. I didn't try super hard, but hard enough to know you can really grab a fistful of brake without it being needed. I blame it on the brakes not being that good, but who knows. Either way, I would be more inclined to want it on a big cruiser like a Gold Wing or something more so than the NC.

I am not much interested in many of the modern features on motorcycles. I'm not much interested in Traction control or coloured speedo consoles or leaning headlamps etc etc. The only two that I do value are ABS and Cruise control. One for safety and the other for comfort on long journeys. Only once did I need ABS and it perhaps saved me from going down on that one occasion where I had to perform a panic stop.

I did purchase the first model CRF1000L without ABS because at the time I was otherwise facing a long wait for one. However I woud have preferred to have ABS on it. If I wanted a bike badly enough I would probably still go ahead again in similar circumstances. However I woud seriously consider my options before doing so.

Would lack of ABS be a dealbreaker for you?

No. In 55+ years of motorcycle riding, I've had one two wheeler with ABS, I see it as just another system that can be problematic.

No, of the 5 bikes I have bought since 2007, only 1 had abs (BMW G650gs) and I didnt care for it...It could only be turned off at startup and it engaged on gravel roads with only a light pressure on the brake pedal and I hate that chirping feeling of abs off/on/off/on/off/on going around a gravel road curve with just light pressure (it didnt have an adjustment feature). I traded the BMW for the 2013 Honda NC700x in July, 2013 and never have regretted the decision...

No thanks on the ABS. I’m sure that, under the right circumstances, it’s a lifesaver, but those circumstances don’t occur often enough to put up with the added complexity.

It wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. I like the idea of idea of it as another tool in the box. I have only had it come on in training and never in real word situations. Never had any mechanical issues with it in 5 yeas.

If ABS came available now I would certainly trade mine in for a new ABS model, no matter which transmission it had.
Go get one! ABS is available now! In fact, ABS has been present on all DCT models of NCX in the USA since 2012.

Back