• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question Would lack of ABS be a dealbreaker for you?

For me ABS is a must. There are long stretches of marginally ridable weather here in Toronto when the roads get cold and wet. Prime conditions for brake-induced loss of control, and I have the broken bones to attest.

Luckily the NC700 manual transmission model in Canada had ABS even in 2012. I wouldn’t have bought the bike otherwise.

So I rode for years before ABS and you had to be so careful when hitting the front brake for emergency stopping. Sure I dropped it a few times learning the hard way but I am fortunate that in Canada you can get ABS on the 750x. Given today’s technology there is not a chance I would by any motorcycle without ABS if I planned on doing much riding at all. Greatest safety invention since helmets.

Gotta have ABS for the time when a deer runs in front of me in the rain or other similar panic stop situation in reduced traction conditions.

Gotta have ABS for the time when a deer runs in front of me in the rain or other similar panic stop situation in reduced traction conditions.
This happened to me last week! At dusk, turned off the state highway and was headed to our property. Lots of farm fields with patches of woods. The deer tend to cross at the edges of the woods. Literally STOOD on the rear brake and grabbed the front brake hard. Pretty sure the whitetail deer was as afraid as I was. If I would have put out my left hand as we passed each other I could have easily grabbed him by his tail.

With the ABS brakes the bike remained under control.

The reason I have a DCT is that was the only way to get ABS. Tutmrnedbout I really like the DCT too. I’m not foolish enough to think I can outperform ABS in emergency situation and don’t ride the crazy slippery downhills where it maybe is a problem.
Yup. Years worth of data shows that ABS is not only safer but stops you in a shorter distance versus skidding to a stop. On a motorcycle skidding to a stop is not particularly desirable in any conditions.

Wouldn't care if mine didn't have ABS, I don't need nor want it. But it is a low interference system, so it's not something that I hate.

Just to be clear though, ABS doesn't stop you in a shorter distance in all conditions and circumstances (at least that's what you are warned in your owners manual), but in sketchy conditions, it's definitely a plus when it comes to drama free stopping in the shortest distance possible. It won't necessarily stop you from running into something, but it helps.

Yup. Years worth of data shows that ABS is not only safer but stops you in a shorter distance versus skidding to a stop. On a motorcycle skidding to a stop is not particularly desirable in any conditions.
Call me a pedant but skidding to a stop is a useful skill while executing a skid-turn

Also it is desirable while attempting to impress other motorbikers!

Call me a pedant but skidding to a stop is a useful skill while executing a skid-turn

Also it is desirable while attempting to impress other motorbikers!
Perhaps I should have specified "not particularly desirable any traffic conditions". That was implied in my post. But clearly not universally understood.

Other than Janus's dirt example, on the street we learned a skidding motorcycle is an out of control motorcycle. Only with experience do you learn not to panic grip stab the brakes and to bring your motorcycle to the point of brake lock up but not into it with lever and pedal moderation. It's much easier just to trust the ABS, but that is not so easy with old time riders used to controlling that themselves.

Other than Janus's dirt example, on the street we learned a skidding motorcycle is an out of control motorcycle. Only with experience do you learn not to panic grip stab the brakes and to bring your motorcycle to the point of brake lock up but not into it with lever and pedal moderation. It's much easier just to trust the ABS, but that is not so easy with old time riders used to controlling that themselves.
Agreed. I don't know a single instructor who would disagree with you. The reality is bike skidding on the street is, in fact, out of control. Sure there are times when a skid may be needed to save your body, but your bike will probably be damaged in the process. ABS works. If you don't have ABS then modulating your brakes so your bike does not skid is very likely the better alternative to a skid on the street.

I remember when ABS was first introduced (yes, I'm old enough) listening to the old timers who said they'd never want a car that didn't skid. Said that the skid was safer. Said that they could control the skid.

My buddy who owned a body shop made a great living off those guys.

I have an opinion. Telling someone that skidding is bad or out-of-control is poor teaching. You will only make a student panic.

Snow skiers and snow boarders live for the skid. Off roaders ride to skid. Kids in sneakers on a wet floor will skid on it. Cats on a hardwood floor will skid a corner all the time. A dog will skid on a tile floor if the bowl is full.

Do not fear the skid. Be one with the skid. Ride the wet. Apply too much power. Apply too much braking. Enjoy the skid.

Take your bike into your back yard and skid. Drop it once or twice. Learn to crash with grace and humility.

Ride your face!!!
Sorry, snow skiers don’t live for the skid. You ride the metal edges of the skis because that is how you have control on the snow. To stop or turn, you get the ski on it’s edges for traction. A ”skidding” skier has lost control.

Same thing on water. You ride the edges of the water ski or wakeboard for directional control. If you are skidding you are losing control and about to crash.

Back